No Brake Controller

/ No Brake Controller #1  

jgbanshee

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 310SE, JD 4300, JD 5210, JD 450 Crawler, CAT D3B, Ford 2N, Ford 5000 Ford 4000su, Ford 1100
I purchased a trailer with electric brakes and would like to pick it up soon but I do not have a brake controller in my truck yet. What happens if I plug the 7 flat connector into my truck and pull this trailer? Will everything work except the trailer brakes or will the trailer brakes lock up immediately?

/ No Brake Controller #2  
It will work just fine to bring it home, unloaded I hope. Electric brakes work when electricity is applied, no power - no brakes.

Russell

/ No Brake Controller
So, the brake controller sends power to the trailer brakes? I thought that the trailer brakes were directly related to the truck brake lights.

/ No Brake Controller #4  
The way I understand it the trucks brake light switch sends the signal/power to the trailer brake controller box in the truck, the controller then sends power to the trailer brakes via the harness, the box is adjustable thru user setting, a higher setting means more power going to the brakes, equals greater braking power.

So they wouldn't work with no controller in line.

What type/size trailer?

JB.

/ No Brake Controller #5  
You guys have it right, but there is always a but. I have installed over 100 controllers but I have on two instances seen GM trucks simply lock up the brakes 100%. This has only been twice, both with 1500 series around the same year.

Your best bet is just go get one and install it. Only takes 20 minutes. Just put one in a Titan last night.

Chris

/ No Brake Controller #6  
You guys have it right, but there is always a but. I have installed over 100 controllers but I have on two instances seen GM trucks simply lock up the brakes 100%. This has only been twice, both with 1500 series around the same year.

Your best bet is just go get one and install it. Only takes 20 minutes. Just put one in a Titan last night.

Chris
Chris -
How about giving us a good link or two to a site(s) that best shows how to do it for a range of vehicles.
I'm sure you know some good ones as well as some bad ones.
tia

/ No Brake Controller #7  
Just plug it up and test your lights. Then do a short pull and see if any trailer brakes are working, if no drag, your OK, but if it locks the brakes, just unplug and take it home. Now if the trailer has a backup battery, disconnect it.

/ No Brake Controller #8  
Here is the company I buy all my stuff from. Its a husband and wife team, and she knows here stuff also, and they are always eager to help. Good people and nice site. I can usually get stuff cheaper even with shipping from them than I can anywhere else.

R and P Carriages Trailer Sales, Service, Parts and Rentals

They have a good how to section with pictures on the help tab. They also sell a ton of stuff through EBAY so look them up.

Chris

/ No Brake Controller #9  
What truck do you have? On most newer trucks, they are prewired for trailer brakes. Mine was as simple as hook four color coded wires to the brake controller, and plug the connector on the end of those wires, to a connector under the dash. It took longer to mount the controller to the dash than it did to "wire" it up. 15-20 minutes at most...

My old truck did not have 7-wire wiring('89 F250), nor did my wifes 1/2 ton Dodge. Those took a couple hours to do a nice wiring job on. For the Dodge, bought a harness kit direct from Dodge; had directions and everything.

If it is an empty trailer, I would get at least the brake and turn lights working. That should be enough to get you home. In most states, you do not need brakes on trailers less than 2500lbs(your state may vary).

I'd definitely check to see if your truck is prewired though. If it is a 20 minute job, I'd put the controller in before you hook up the trailer.

/ No Brake Controller #10  

Chris

On the 7 pin connector, ther eis a wire that needs to be swapped sometimes .

I have a gmc ykon, and when i used a 7to6 adapter on my 6pin trailer.. the brakes lock immediatly as aux power hits brake pin... hoppy, the co. that makes the adapter evidentally knows about this non standad wire issue and mak sit so that 7 pin to 6 and 5 pin adapters can be taken apart and swap 2 wires internally to correct this.

gotta love 'standards'.. especially when there are sooo many of them.

soundguy