Tongue Weight

/ Tongue Weight #1  

buckle97

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830GST
Is there any rule of thumb or simple way to judge tongue weight? I'm doing my best to get my tractor weight in the right spot on my trailer and I am wanting to make sure I have the right amount of tongue weight.

Thanks,
Lawrence

/ Tongue Weight #2  
You would like to have 10-15% tongue weight. When there was no way for me to weigh one, I used to just measure (tape or yardstick) the height of the back bumper from the ground with no load on the trailer, then load the trailer in such a manner as to lower the back end of the pickup approximately one inch.

/ Tongue Weight
I used to just measure (tape or yardstick) the height of the back bumper from the ground with no load on the trailer, then load the trailer in such a manner as to lower the back end of the pickup approximately one inch.

Exactly what I was looking for; just a way to get a quick estimate of my tongue weight. Thanks Bird!

/ Tongue Weight #4  
I do the same sort thing. I just stand at the bumper and note where it is on my leg then load and compare. After a while you get a feel for it and can just wing it. You will know real quick if you do not have sufficient tongue weight. The tail will wag the dog, or in other words the trucks steering will become very squirrely.

Chris

/ Tongue Weight #5  
I don't have alot of experience with equipment trailer loading, but I've found that as I'm driving on the trailer I can see when the weight is shifted back down onto truck's hitch, then I just inch forward a little more so I know there is a decent amount of weight on the tongue.

JB.

/ Tongue Weight #7  
Disclosure: I can not take credit for this as I read it on this site, but it is the best way I have heard yet.

The person recommended measuring the hitch height unladen. They step on the hitch and remeasure the hitch height. If the hitch dropped 1/2" and you weigh 200 lbs, then the spring rate is 400 lb/in. That ratio will hold for the normal range of motion of the springs (not exactly true for leaf springs, but close enough for this purpose). So, if your trailer weight is 10,000 lbs and you are looking for 1000 to 1500 lbs tongue weight, you want to see the hitch drop 2-1/2 to 3-3/4 inches.

Formula:
Desired hitch drop = (measured hitch drop x trailer weight x 0.10)/(your weight)
Desired hitch drop = (0.5" x 10,000 lbs x 0.10) / (200 lbs)
Desired hitch drop = 2.5"

/ Tongue Weight #8  
I agree with the other guys that measuring the rear bumper height is a really good ballpark way of figuring the approximate tongue weight. I have my doubts about extrapolating a 200lb. weight out to a 1000lb. tongue weight, though. I think that at some point you need to get an idea of what it takes to settle the rear of the particular truck. There's a big difference between the amount of drop you'll see in a 1/2 ton, v. a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

/ Tongue Weight #9  
[There's a big difference between the amount of drop you'll see in a 1/2 ton, v. a 3/4 or 1 ton truck./QUOTE]

Good point and certainly correct.

/ Tongue Weight #10  
Not to range too far off the topic of how to judge tongue weight, but I'd like to mention the ability of a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup to better handle the kind of tongue weight involved in pulling tractors around. We had a 1/2 ton pickup when we first got a 2 horse trailer. First, I added an extra leaf spring. Then, for good measure, I added a set of Timbren overloads. That solved the saggy rear end problem, even when we went to a 3 horse bumper-pull. What it didn't do was increase the weight rating of the rear axle or the size of the brakes, along with the rest of the running gear. Our two present trucks are a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton single rear wheel. Now that we also have a 10,000 lb. trailer for our Kubota L3830 w/ backhoe, I can't imagine trying to use a 1/2 ton truck, no matter where the bumper sat.