Ideas, 84" wide bucket, 83" wide trailer...

/ Ideas, 84" wide bucket, 83" wide trailer... #1  

Chuck K.

Gold Member
Tractor
2009 M59 w/thumb
IF the deal goes through on the M59 one problem is the width of the M59 bucket its 84" wide. My lowboy goose neck trailer is only 83'' wide.. I know I can put the bucket on top of the pipe rail, but it will beat the heck out the top pipe rail.

I am considering a ~90" 2x6 and through bolt it cross ways to the top rail with a 3/8" bolt on each side so I could easly remove the board when not hauling the tractor..

attached is a picture of trailer.

Thanks for any ideas.
Chuck.

TruckNTractor2.jpg

/ Ideas, 84" wide bucket, 83" wide trailer... #2  
IF the deal goes through on the M59 one problem is the width of the M59 bucket its 84" wide. My lowboy goose neck trailer is only 83'' wide.. I know I can put the bucket on top of the pipe rail, but it will beat the heck out the top pipe rail.

I am considering a ~90" 2x6 and through bolt it cross ways to the top rail with a 3/8" bolt on each side so I could easly remove the board when not hauling the tractor..

Thanks for any ideas.
Chuck.

View attachment 126978

Why not put the bucket on top rail as you said, but clamp it down. Put a 2 x 6 under the bucket. Will that setup mess up your balanced load?

/ Ideas, 84" wide bucket, 83" wide trailer... #3  
Quick thought or two...........

WHether made of steel or wood, maybe 3' X 83" 'rack' that fits the top of the rails (about the same width as the rails)...... perhaps contoured to fit the curve of the insides of the rail. That way , depending on what you have on the back of the M59, the rack could be slid forward, or rearward on the rails to find the perfect balance spot on the trailer. A strap from the frame of the trailer up over the bucket would secure the bucket and rack in place for transport. If you were concerned about scratching the rails..... perhaps a free standing box just higher than the rails to accomplish the same (best made out of steel). to make it easier to adjust fore and aft, maybe some rugged wheels on the bottom (not casters.... just wheels to move it back and forth). Welding mesh around the sides of the box would create a good place to put chains, shovels, etc., since they can't come out of the top while the bucket is resting on the box. Again secured with a strap when in motion. When not moving the tractor..... wheel the box to the front of the trailer and secure it (or roll it down the ramps and leave it at home).

/ Ideas, 84" wide bucket, 83" wide trailer... #4  

Thanks for any ideas.
Chuck.

View attachment 126978
This is one of serval reasons why I do not want a trailer with fixed side rails.
If your trailer had removable side rails the extra inch would be no issue.
Also why I'd prefer a 7.5' wide trailer over a 7'

/ Ideas, 84" wide bucket, 83" wide trailer... #5  
Find a piece of wood, maybe 8" x 8", maybe stack several pieces, that is higher than your side rails and about 80 " long. Bolt it crosswise to the bed of the tractor and rest the bucket on top of it. You can leave it in place for smaller tractors.

This takes all the weight off the side rails and puts it back down on the deck of the trailer which is where it belongs.

/ Ideas, 84" wide bucket, 83" wide trailer... #6  
Instead of stacking the 2x8's, I would make a box out of 2x12's or something that is taller than your rail. That box could also be used to store chains, binders, or anything you might need. It could be made easily removable by a simple dowel or bolt, and may not even need to be secued except by the wieght and strap around the bucket.

The box would not even need a top.

/ Ideas, 84" wide bucket, 83" wide trailer... #7  
Some good ideas here. Just remember the KISS concept.

Chris

/ Ideas, 84" wide bucket, 83" wide trailer...
Great ideas guys, thanks, thats why I asked here there is such a wealth of info..

Yes DP I have to utilize the KISS theory as my fabricating with wood and steel is limited..

I'm leaning with idea of getting the weight on the deck where it belongs but need to keep it light enough to handle or have a means of hooking somehow bottom of bucket and let the tractor carry it into place..

yes I would like to have a deckover trailer but I was trying to keep it low as possible for ease of loading and wind drag issues.. lowboy with no side rails would have been idea in hindsight..

Last edited:
   / Ideas, 84" wide bucket, 83" wide trailer... #9  
Did anyone mention , back it in, and let the bucket rest on the back rails. with tie downs. How would that affect balance?

/ Ideas, 84" wide bucket, 83" wide trailer...
Did anyone mention , back it in, and let the bucket rest on the back rails. with tie downs. How would that affect balance?

Thats a thought as well but I would still like to stop the bucket from direct conact to the top rail, preferably get the weight back on the deck..