Haul tractor on dump trailer?

/ Haul tractor on dump trailer? #1  

MWB1564

Bronze Member
Tractor
2007 CK30HST
I have a Kioti CK30HST that I am probably going to need to haul very rarely but it could happen. What I really need is a dump trailer for hauling dirt, gravel, and other material. I'd like to only buy one trailer so my question is...If and when I need to, is it practical to haul a medium size tractor in/on a dump trailer provided it doesn't exceed the weight limit of the trailer and towing package? I have not had the chance to look at a dump trailer up close and I guess my concerns are with the strength and support of the decking and the stability of the dump box with equipment that rises well above the rails. I do have a backhoe but I'm assuming that will not be able to go along for the ride. Ideally I would be able to get the tractor w/loader only onto a 14 foot double axle dump trailer. Any thoughts? Thanks.

/ Haul tractor on dump trailer? #2  
Sure, there are plenty of people that haul their tractor in a dump trailer. Many will even come with ramps from that factory these days for loading equipment with.

As long as you don't exceed the weight ratings like you said, there should be no trouble. I'm not sure how equipment gets secured in a dump trailer - I'm guessing you can get d-rings installed in the bed.

The only thing you would probably have to be a little more careful with would be the center of gravity. It would be sitting a bit higher up than a trailer with the bed that sits between the wheels. But then again I don't really see much of a difference between the height of that and a regular deck-over trailer.

Are you considering a gooseneck or a bumper pull hitch?

Good luck with your decision. When I can afford it I'd love to have a dump trailer to do the same thing you want to with my Bobcat and little Yanmar.

/ Haul tractor on dump trailer? #3  
I have a small landscaping business I run as a sideline to my real job. I bought a PJ 7 x 14 14,000 lb gooseneck dump trailer last year for the very reasons you listed. I haul my NH TC-45D in it quite a bit. Just lay the front end loader up on top of the gooseneck. It will fit with the backhoe on, NH 757-C, if you swing the back hoe all the way to one side. Tow vehicle is a 1999 F-250 long bed 4x4 with the 7.3L Powerstroke engine. Works like a dream!

I just bought a Bobcat last week have not tried it in the dump trailer yet.

I need to get some pictures of tractor in dump trailer, this subject comes uo quite often.

If you have more questions just let me know.

/ Haul tractor on dump trailer? #4  
I feel that is the optimum setup, a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup truck with a 12-16ft dump trailer rated at 10-14k GVWR. A 1-ton dump truck can typically only haul about 4-5,000lbs in the dump and it is high and tough to load. That same truck though can typically tow around 12-17,000lbs so you can safely haul 4-6 tons more gravel, equipment, wood, etc... with the same truck.

I am currently looking to sell my 1-ton dump truck to get a new dump trailer and those PJ trailers look very strong and well built. For me, a 16ft 10-12k trailer would be perfect. Then I will upgrade my 1/2 ton truck to a 3/4 or 1 ton and it would still make a good daily driver, a 1-ton dump truck is not a good daily driver.

/ Haul tractor on dump trailer? #5  
With the purchase of any trailer make sure you know the empty weight and subtract that from the GVWR, this gives you the payload. Most 16' dump trailers weigh about 4,000-5,000# so do the math.

On a side note. A heavier trailer does not equal better. Its like a bridge and must be constructed smartly.

Chris

/ Haul tractor on dump trailer?
Thanks for the great info, guys. Its much better to know that people do it all the time than just that "it can be done". I take it that all dump trailers are not created equal so now I start the job of finding a quality dump trailer. For various reasons I'm going to stick with a standard hitch instead of a gooseneck. Is there anything in particular to look for, or look out for, when judging a trailer as far as quality? Thanks

/ Haul tractor on dump trailer? #7  
Here is a photo of my truck, trailer, and tractor. The trailer is a 14' PJ which should run you about $6,000. For the 2009 model year, PJ starting making the same (bumper pull) dump trailer in a 16' length. The extra 2ft. is kinda pricey, but would definitely be nice. With the dump trailer and medium compact tractor, you don't have a lot of length for shifting tongue weight forward or rearward. My 3320 with loader fits perfect as long as I don't have anything attached to the 3pt. In the picture you see, If I have the box blade hooked to the tractor, the loader bucket will be resting on the front of the trailer, not down inside. Not a problem if you aren't going to be towing it often or far. The PJ was the "best buy" for me, however my first choice would have been a Hillsboro brand dump trailer. The PJ sits higher than the Hillsbor, H+H, etc.

Good luck shopping.

Attachments

• DSC02106.JPG
    DSC02106.JPG
    303.7 KB · Views: 8,687
   / Haul tractor on dump trailer? #8  
I feel that is the optimum setup, a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup truck with a 12-16ft dump trailer rated at 10-14k GVWR.
1* A 1-ton dump truck can typically only haul about 4-5,000lbs in the dump and
2*it is high and tough to load.
That same truck though can typically tow around 12-17,000lbs so you can safely haul 4-6 tons more gravel, equipment, wood, etc... with the same truck.
==I am currently looking to sell my 1-ton dump truck to get
3*Then I will upgrade my 1/2 ton truck to a 3/4 or 1 ton and
4* it would still make a good daily driver,
5* a 1-ton dump truck is not a good daily driver.
1*but couldn't you also haul a few ton on the trailer?
2*Wouldn't a flat bed help on that so you don't have to load /unload over the side ?
==Why sell the 1 ton and get another 1 ton?
3*Why swap the 1/2 ton for a 1 ton when you all ready have a 1 ton?
Wouldn't it be simpler and less expensive to just sell the 1/2 ton and tow the trailer with the one ton you have now ?
4*How would getting another 1 ton make it a better daily driver than the one ton you now have?
5* If that's true how can swapping the 1/2 ton for a 1 ton give you a better daily drive then than the 1 ton you currently own?
I'm a bit confused:confused: by your statements on this.

/ Haul tractor on dump trailer? #9  
Here is one of my customers...
shroomroom 016.jpg