In the market for a trailer

/ In the market for a trailer #1  

Dieseltroop

I'm in the market for a equipment trailer. I am looking for a 20 ft gooseneck carhauler type trailer rated for 14k. I need the carhauler version (wheels between the fenders) because I need to keep the curb weight to a minimum, since my buddy's ram has a lower trailer weight rating than mine. I love the deckover goosenecks's, but like I said. My buddy truck can only tow 9300 lbs. in trailer weight. There are several manufacturer's out there. The ones I have been looking at are the following: H&H (out of Iowa), PJ (Texas), Load Trail (Texas), Kerrbilt (Oklahoma), Alum-line (expensive, but great looking trailer, and strong too), and then Road Warrior (made by Johnson Trailer Co. out of Colfax, WI). I am looking for opinions on what manufacturer is good all around. I like the H&H's a lot. They seem to make a real sturdy trailer, not to mention a 10 year warranty on the weld and framing. Anyways. I don't want to hear, just go w/ so and so, and leave it at that. Tell me why. What are the pro's and con's of the trailer you have. Basically, back up the reason why you like your trailer and why you bought it. Thanks.

/ In the market for a trailer #2  
Not sure where you are located, but you might want to look at these as well:

Bri-Mar Trailers
CamSuperline Trailers

I'm not sure if Cam makes a gooseneck. A lot of people around here have trailers from both companies and they are well built and seem to last. Everyone I know is very happy with their trailers.

/ In the market for a trailer #3  
I need the carhauler version (wheels between the fenders) because I need to keep the curb weight to a minimum, since my buddy's ram has a lower trailer weight rating than mine. I love the deckover goosenecks's, but like I said. My buddy truck can only tow 9300 lbs. in trailer weight.
This could be a good way to get into trouble in more ways than one.

/ In the market for a trailer
I forgot to put where I am from. That can definitely help when questions are being posted. I'm from the Twin Cities in MN.

/ In the market for a trailer #5  
You can still get a deck between the fenders with a gooseneck which is what I would reccomend for any one with a 1/2 ton

The truck will by far handle the weight better with the gooseneck even if it does weight a little more

/ In the market for a trailer #6  
I bought a 8x24 PJ deckover last year. Bought it on price was cheaper than others. Less weight, no torque tube, etc. You get what you pay for. To be fair, PJ can be optioned up but a premium purchased PJ will not bring a premium at resale.

I'm perfectly happy with it especially since I'm hauling more materials than equipment and no fender interference is a benefit. I can carry 24' steel sticks and avoid cut charges.

Might look at www.felling.com up I-94 as a premium quality option. They pretty much own the contractor market here.

Sounds like you are already aware of MN DOT's penchant for stopping checking anything pulling a trailer.

/ In the market for a trailer #7  
I'm in the market for a equipment trailer. I am looking for a 20 ft gooseneck carhauler type trailer rated for 14k.
How many cars?

/ In the market for a trailer #8  
I have both H&H and Titan trailers. My H&Hs are 24' electric tilt, 14K bumper pull and 3.5K 5x10 tilt bed and 18' cargo trailer. My Titans are 31', flip up dovetail, deck over with dual tandem axles, 25K gooseneck and a 14', 14K, bumper pull dump trailer. Titan is made in KS and H&H in IA.

I am not brand specific and have owned other brands. Both brands have served me well. I do think the paint on the H&H 24' trailer is subpar compared to some other trailers I have had but it does see more road time and gravel. My H&H 24' tilt has torsion axles. I love them compared to spring axles on the heavier rated trailers. An empty, 14K rated trailer with 80 psi in the tires can ride rough. I had originally bought a H&H, 22', 14K trailer with springs and flip up ramps. Returned it in 1 week and decided to get the 24' electric tilt with dexter torsion axles. Both trailers weighed about the same but the ride of the torsion axles were superior empty or loaded.

I will say H&H 14k trailers are well made. My 24' has 8" channel frame and 3" channel crossmembers every 14". (I think the 20' version use 6" channel iron frame with same crossmember spacing.) Some trailers have 3" channel crossmembers but as far as 24" spacing. The crossmembers are sprayed with an undercoating. Most companies don't even paint them. The H&H wood decks are the best I have ever seen. The wood is pressed together tightly in place when laid and the wood is reasonably dry when laid. There is almost no gaps between the boards. You will not find a tigher deck.
I helped my brother in law put a new wood deck on once. Got the new pressure treated wood, pressed it on tightly (even used clamps) and it looked great. I saw it 2 months later and could not believe the gaps between the boards. Definitely pays to let the wood dry before putting it on.

Trailers are not rocket science. You kind of get what you pay for. Heavier frames, torsion axles, led lights, jacks, deck overs, fenders, type of ramps and other options all affect the price. If you are not in a hurry, have your trailer custom ordered to your specs. I did this with my H&H trailer. H&H has a vast number of options available. Took about 6-8 weeks to get my trailer. My dealer is one of or maybe the biggest H&H dealer in the US. His entire business is selling just H&H trailers. He has as many as 200 trailers on his lot and no haggle, fair pricing. He is located about 6 hours from the Twin Cities. The name is Neil's Trailer Outlet. Ask for Dick the owner. Even if you just want to check prices compared to other H&H dealers. He could probably even fax you a base price list and options list if you are interested.

P.S. Used to live in Rochester, MN. Never could get used to those winters.

/ In the market for a trailer #9  
B & B make a fine trailer

IDK if they make exactly what you are looking for

/ In the market for a trailer #10