Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #1  

Negligence

Bronze Member
I found an excellent deal on a 4 horse gooseneck (27' long). Now I've got a 07' Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab (4x4, with tow package) to tow with, but I know it needs some "work" to make it suitable and safe.

Gross weight for this trailer is 5000lbs. Adding in two horses (2400lbs combined), two foals, passengers and cargo keeps me under 10,000lbs.

I had planned to add SuperSprings to beef up the box load capacity to prevent sagging. I could go with air bags or extra leaf springs but I think SuperSprings give me the best all-around ride when and when I don't need the support.

What do you guys think of this planned setup? I'll be hauling occassionally (couple times a year at most) so I don't intend to upgrade to a 2500 or 3500 just for the sake of the trailer. Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #2  
If you are driving just a few clicks ( can speak Canadian eh!) down the road I think it may be okay. But if you are going to be driving more than 50 or so km's on a regular basis or getting into any big hills or mountains I would go to a bigger truck.

It does not take much, but if you have any available room you will throw something in to fill the space and the weight will add up quickly.

Also remember you can probably go okay (if you have the 5.7 Hemi) but you eventually need to stop.

steve

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck
I would be traveling 100km's max each way, and realistically only 2-3 times a year. I need to transport mares and foals to their inspections each fall, but otherwise I might be moving 1-2 horses around occassionally.

I do have the 5.7 Hemi. You think braking with be a problem?

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #4  
Well you should not need a sliding hitch in fact I have never seen one for a gooseneck just fith wheels. Boy 5000lbs for a 4 horse sure seems light. My 25 ft 3 horse grosses at 12000. You dont measure the part over the bed just the flat floor. With two horses and all the tack and feed ect for a horse show mine's is well over 10,000 lbs. For sure you need flip over or removable ball or you will cuss the thing everytime you want to haul something other than the trailer. There is no way my half ton GMC could have pulled this thing.

trucksm.jpg

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck
It's about 5000lbs empty, at least that's what the manufacturer told me. It's a 1989 model (not aluminum). The gross allowed rating is somewhere near 12,000lbs I think, so there's no way the trailer itself is that heavy.

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #6  
You will be fine as long as it is loaded properly

You may want a transmission temp gauge

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #7  
As mentioned before you can upgrade the suspension but there is nothing much you can do with the brakes. The tranny as also mentioned will be another weak spot.

Chris

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #8  
You can't really beef up a 1/2 ton to do a 3/4 or 1 tons job.
There are areas that can't be improved and and can or will fail.
beefing up is not the same as properly specking out a truck.

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #9  
As mentioned before you can upgrade the suspension but there is nothing much you can do with the brakes. The tranny as also mentioned will be another weak spot.

Chris
No matter how much you beef it up it will always be as fragile as all it's week links.

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #10  
I would be traveling 100km's max each way, and realistically only 2-3 times a year. I need to transport mares and foals to their inspections each fall, but otherwise I might be moving 1-2 horses around occassionally.

I do have the 5.7 Hemi. You think braking with be a problem?

Braking will be fine as long as the trailer brakes are working up to par