Class 6 Truck

/ Class 6 Truck
My understanding is that if a truck is equipped with air brakes you have to have a CDL even if the GVWR is under 26,001. Is this correct?

/ Class 6 Truck #12  
Thanks for the info. So, do you feel the FL-60 and IH 4200 are probably better built and will last longer with fewer problems? I've heard that Freightliners' are expensive to get worked on (but that's just what I've read).

My freightliner costs me 80.00 an hour at the garage,I have a Cummins with a ten speed,basically the same components found on Pete's,KW's. As for International we have a fairly new ten wheeler at the highway department,it has had a problem with the fan blades disintergrating and taking out radiators,coolant bottles and fan shrouds. If you could spec. the truck yourself,it would be better then buying an existing truck that was speced wrong. The company my daugter works for has a second F-650,it has the powerstroke and a four speed automatic. When it hauls their JD 110TLB,it gets under five miles a gallon. I've driven it,the exhaust system is two open straight pipes[stacks],don't drive that truck for long. The 650's both have air brakes,I wouldn't want hydraulic brakes for that kind of weight. plowking

/ Class 6 Truck #13  
I'll throw my 2 cents in, since I've owned Ford, International, and Freightliner med. dutys....... and extensively operated the GMs (which you didn't ask about). Never drove a Sterling. Out of the bunch...... by FAR the best med. duty I owned was a Freightliner FL60. It had a 3126 Cat / Fuller 6sp. It had approximately 500,000 mi. on it when I sold it, and was incredibly reliable...... in fact I had just barely replaced the original water pump when i sold it.

I'd call the GMs, Fords, and Internationals fairly equal behind the FL. They were all decent trucks. I'd have to say my Internationals nickel and dimed me the most. Never terribly expensive repairs, but things like sensors, water pumps, etc. International did have the best parts availabilty of any of them though.

/ Class 6 Truck #14  
air brakes, air brakes, air brakes.

What are you pulling that is so heavy?
You're going to need a CDL A no matter what. (gross combined weight over 26d with a trailer over 10k)
You're probably going to need a USDOT # and all that jazz unless it's not for commercial purposes. Specifically what are you using it for?

Big trucks mean big bucks.
Things just cost a lot and they cost more to work on. The one guy said $80/hour by him. By me (Denver metro), it's from $90/hour to $120/hour. (for comparison's sake, the local chevy dealer is $75/hour)

Common parts are actually pretty cheap, but other stuff breaks too and it can get SPENDY. Heck, just an oil change is $200 on a class 8, not sure on a class 6.

Used trucks tend to get beat to heck and gone before people sell them. Expect to put money into it to get it safe and reliable again. Just make it part of your budget. A couple thousand dollars at least.

Gearing and transmissions matter a lot for your work. It's not like a car or pickup where you just deal with it. Figure out what you want to do and where you want to drive, then that will lead you to the HP range of the motor you want along with gearing and the appropriate transmission.

most big truck shops work on all big trucks. Parts are common across many of them and they just go to the right dealer to get the specific parts. Sterling is being shut down by Diamler, so parts availability is 5+ years may become a problem.

/ Class 6 Truck #15  

You're going to need a CDL A no matter what. (gross combined weight over 26d with a trailer over 10k)
You're probably going to need a USDOT # and all that jazz unless it's not for commercial purposes. Specifically what are you using it for?

Things just cost a lot and they cost more to work on. The one guy said $80/hour by him. By me (Denver metro), it's from $90/hour to $120/hour. (for comparison's sake, the local chevy dealer is $75/hour)

Common parts are actually pretty cheap, but other stuff breaks too and it can get SPENDY. Heck, just an oil change is $200 on a class 8, not sure on a class 6.

Used trucks tend to get beat to heck and gone before people sell them. Expect to put money into it to get it safe and reliable again. Just make it part of your budget. A couple thousand dollars at least.

Gearing and transmissions matter a lot for your work. It's not like a car or pickup where you just deal with it. Figure out what you want to do and where you want to drive, then that will lead you to the HP range of the motor you want along with gearing and the appropriate transmission.

most big truck shops work on all big trucks. Parts are common across many of them and they just go to the right dealer to get the specific parts. Sterling is being shut down by Diamler, so parts availability is 5+ years may become a problem.

You're right on with the shop rate,I'll bet it'll be 90.00 a hour here before long. My garage has treated me right for over twenty years. I heard the Toyota Dealer is 95.00 an hour here. plowking

/ Class 6 Truck #17  
I'll throw my 2 cents in, since I've owned Ford, International, and Freightliner med. dutys....... and extensively operated the GMs (which you didn't ask about). Never drove a Sterling. Out of the bunch...... by FAR the best med. duty I owned was a Freightliner FL60. It had a 3126 Cat / Fuller 6sp. It had approximately 500,000 mi. on it when I sold it, and was incredibly reliable...... in fact I had just barely replaced the original water pump when i sold it.

I'd call the GMs, Fords, and Internationals fairly equal behind the FL. They were all decent trucks. I'd have to say my Internationals nickel and dimed me the most. Never terribly expensive repairs, but things like sensors, water pumps, etc. International did have the best parts availabilty of any of them though.

This discussion could take a turn, but my opinion of mediums/heavies is that Freightliner & Sterling, Ford & GM were the most affordable, but bottom of the barrel for quality/reliability. IH was a step above, MACK & Western Star would be a step better and PACCAR bros trucks (Pete, K/W) were the best.

Thing you have to remember with Ford, GM, Freightliner and the now defunct Sterling is that these trucks share the same brands of engines, transmissions, rears, DPF systems, steering gear, etc.

The only somewhat major difference is the cab. Take the cab off most "vocational" grade trucks and they're differences are barely noticeable.

My last choice for a new medium or heavy would be Ford. The reason is because they make virtually none of the truck themselves except maybe the sheetmetal for the cab and the Ford emblem on the hood. The rest is made by Cummins, Allison, Spicer, IH, etc. They're made in an IH plant in mexico. GM would be next up the feeding chain. They do make their own allison transmissions, cabs and rears and some of the engine offerings(at least until a few months ago when GM sold heavy ally transmission division) and they're made in US instead of Mexico.

You'd be better off with a Pete, KW or mack vocational truck over a Ford, GM.

/ Class 6 Truck #18  

Exactly. you can tow 25,000 lbs without airbrakes. Juice brakes that size are not real desireable, but they keep you from having to get an airbrake endorsement.

Yep, there's no way he can tow this load without a CDL. Brake system doesn't matter, but airbrakes are always better.

Here I would disagree somewhat. My oil changes are ~$120 and my truck takes 24 quarts of engine oil. I can do them myself for less. They're easier to do than a car because it's so easy to work on them. Brakes last a lot longer and service intervals are much further apart. Truck mec prices in my area are the same as car mech prices. I do most myself since it's pretty simple (fluid/filter changes, brake adjust on air brakes, etc.)

All depends on previous owner. I've seen trucks & equipment so well cared for, it would blow your mind.

and transmissions matter a lot for your work. It's not like a car or pickup where you just deal with it. Figure out what you want to do and where you want to drive, then that will lead you to the HP range of the motor you want along with gearing and the appropriate transmission.

Agree.

/ Class 6 Truck #19  
My understanding is that if a truck is equipped with air brakes you have to have a CDL even if the GVWR is under 26,001. Is this correct?

I have yet to see a factory speced truck under 26,001 with airbrakes. Maybe once in my life I saw one. I would think this would be a truck specially purpose built for a unique application.

If there was one, you might not need a CDL if the trailer weight was under 10,001, but you would need an airbrake endorsement.

What most people don't understand is that there are multiple "levels" of CDLs. To drive an 80,000lb triaxle with no trailer, all you need is a class B CDL, which is very easy to get.

Once a bigger trailer comes into play that changes into a class A CDL. Much more difficult CDL test to pass.

/ Class 6 Truck #20  
I have yet to see a factory speced truck under 26,001 with airbrakes. Maybe once in my life I saw one. I would think this would be a truck specially purpose built for a unique application.

If there was one, you might not need a CDL if the trailer weight was under 10,001, but you would need an airbrake endorsement.

What most people don't understand is that there are multiple "levels" of CDLs. To drive an 80,000lb triaxle with no trailer, all you need is a class B CDL, which is very easy to get.

Once a bigger trailer comes into play that changes into a class A CDL. Much more difficult CDL test to pass.

I have seen and driven several under 26k trucks with airbrakes

A CDL or "Air brake endorsement" is not required

PS Air brakes isn't an endorsement it is a restriction if you don't have it