Class 6 Truck

/ Class 6 Truck #21  
I used to own around a 69 model year IH dump that had air but per the spec plate was rated 26k. That was about the ownly one I ever saw too.

You come acrossed a lot of Freightliners with Mercedes engines. I have driven some Columbia's and Century's with them and they did okay. The one issue was that not all of the companies shops had software to service them. That could be a factor when seeking out service.

That little Pete 335 that I mentioned was around an 04 or 05. It had plenty of room for my legs, something a lot of these class 6 trucks do not have. It did have a nicely laid out driver friendly cab. The fit, finish and quality were pretty good overall. With single leaf front springs and air bags on the rear with a really short wheelbase, the ride was good practice for the PBR association.

SouthernX, that weight is on the high side for a gooseneck. You planning on a fifth wheel hookup?

I saw a FL60 with a fifth on the net the other day, think it was out in California.

/ Class 6 Truck #22  
Just a few small points to remember. Like builder said, Sterling is no more. Might get some good deals on one but how long will Sterling specific parts availability last. Though most parts ARE universal vendor parts. I have experience with Sterling and Freightliner and find them to be cheaply built and poor fit and finish. (just my oppinion) Also they are moving ALL Freightliner and Western Star production to Mexico this year. How will quality control be then? And do you want to support a company that takes all your jobs and closes all U.S. and Canadian plants and sends it all to Mexico?
Also remember to not base your truck make decision on having a Cat engine as they are no more (unless you buy a current model). Cat will now only make engines for themselves and International. The truck engines will be built by Int at their factory under licence.
I don't know about in your area, but where I am in Canada, if you get a GM or Ford you have to deal with the auto dealers whose labour rates are way higher per hour than the truck shops that sell the big class 8's.
I won't give an oppinion on International or Mack as I am biased towards them and that's all you'll see from now on in my yard:D

/ Class 6 Truck #23  
You know, one thing about Mack/Volvo (same company) is that all their stuff is proprietary.
Mack engines, mack rear ends, etc, etc, etc

Can be a real problem if your local Mack dealer is less than optimum.

typically FL/KW/Pete/IH can all be worked on by any dealer, less some specific parts but the level of specific parts for Mack/Volvo is MUCH higher than these others.

Also, some areas of the country, one brand is MUCH more common than others, which makes parts availability better. For example, Macks are WAY more represented the further east and north you go. Out west, lots more KW/Pete (same company).

/ Class 6 Truck #24  
I have seen and driven several under 26k trucks with airbrakes

A CDL or "Air brake endorsement" is not required

PS Air brakes isn't an endorsement it is a restriction if you don't have it

It is in my state.

If you don't have training on how to handle, monitor & maintain airbrakes, you're an accident waiting to happen......and that ain't good.

/ Class 6 Truck #25  
It is in my state.

If you don't have training on how to handle, monitor & maintain airbrakes, you're an accident waiting to happen......and that ain't good.

What is in your state?

/ Class 6 Truck #26  
SouthernX needs to find out what his state regs are and what his intended purposes are for it.

My Pete 385 has 26000 right on the door jamb sticker, it came from Peterbilt in Denton Texas
that way specific for RV pulling. I do have a Class A NON-CDL for driving it. It can be registered either as a heavy duty truck, farm truck or a RV in Texas, as a HD truck I can tow non-RV specific trailers like my 16' utility with my tractor.

/ Class 6 Truck #28  
Do you know why it was 26K or less with airbrakes?

There were no CDL laws or tests back then.
LOL! Back in 1967, I went to work for a small excavating firm. My first day on the job, the owner pointed to a GMC dump and said "take that truck and...". Took me awhile to figure out what that red button on the five speed stick was for.

Anyway, I think we need to get back to SouthernX's needs here.

/ Class 6 Truck #30  
have to throw my 2 cents in here. Don't worry about what the name is on the front. They are all the same. make the best deal you can on the truck with the best local dealer support. the rest will take care of itself. I have never given a hoot for branding, and I guess it has saved me thousands over the years. As for KW and Pete being better, I don't think so. Can't speak about petes, because its the only brand I have never owned or operated, but Kenworth cabs are nothing special. They never did figure out how to keep their fiberglass from flopping around. And underneath they are exactly the same as the rest. I can't stress enough to get a brand with a good local dealer. Nothing worse than being OS on a busy morning chasing some little sensor that you had to drive the truck(unless you're on a hook) to four or five different shops to get it diagnosed, and then have to wait the rest of the day for a courier to bring the part in from two towns away. You won't care what the name is on the front right about then.