Class 6 Truck

/ Class 6 Truck #1  

SouthernX

Silver Member
I'm looking at buying a used class 6 truck. I've been looking at F-650, Freightliner 60, International 4200, Sterling Acterra, etc.; I'd like to hear any feedback you may have about trucks in this class. Is the F-650 everybit as tough a workhorse as the others in this class? I've looked all over for towing weight capacities (gcvwr / max-tow-lbs.) for these trucks and have had absolutely no luck finding it on the net. Based on what information I've pieced together I'm estimating that these trucks should be able to pull somewhere between 35,000 to 45,000 pounds. Sound about right? If you've got hard numbers and specifications then post them please. Any feedback you can share would be appreciated.

/ Class 6 Truck #3  
I'm looking at buying a used class 6 truck. I've been looking at F-650, Freightliner 60, International 4200, Sterling Acterra, etc.; I'd like to hear any feedback you may have about trucks in this class. Is the F-650 everybit as tough a workhorse as the others in this class? I've looked all over for towing weight capacities (gcvwr / max-tow-lbs.) for these trucks and have had absolutely no luck finding it on the net. Based on what information I've pieced together I'm estimating that these trucks should be able to pull somewhere between 35,000 to 45,000 pounds. Sound about right? If you've got hard numbers and specifications then post them please. Any feedback you can share would be appreciated.

Tell me what you want to do with this truck. I have experience with class 8's through tri-axles and lowboys behind them. I might be able to help.

An F-650 towing 45,000lbs is virtually impossible. I wouldn't want to be the poor sucker pulling 22.5 tons behind one. Even 35,000 is a lot. Those are medium sized excavators on 20 ton lowboys.

Ive pulled 25,000 behind my IH4800 and you can definately feel it. Once you get over 12 tons, you want airbrakes for sure. Of course a CDL is mandatory. 275-300 HP is real nice, too.

Most F-650's I see pulling are a full size backhoe, which weighs ~17,000 lbs on a 10-12 ton trailer that weighs 7,000 lbs, that a total of 24,000lbs. They'll do it, but you're talking almost twice that weight. Ain't happening on an F-650.

One other thing you might want to know: F-650's are made by IH in a joint venture called "Blue Diamond". IH basically makes the F-650/750 for Ford on a Mexican IH assembly line, then sticks a Ford cab on it. Another difference is the powerplants. Fords come with Cummins 6.7L or maybe CAT and IH uses their in-house MAXX FORCE (DT) series diesels.

/ Class 6 Truck #4  
I would personally go with a class 7 single axle or tandem if you need the pin weight to get bigger motors, engine brakes, more torque.
The 8.3 Cummins and 3126 can probably do what you want but slowly and the exhaust brakes are just ok.

/ Class 6 Truck #6  
A little more info on what you are pulling would be helpful. This 35-45K that you want to pull. Are you talking trailer and load, overall combination weight or what?

From what info you already stated, I agree that at least a class 7 would be needed.

For what it's worth, I drove a Pete 335 single axle with a C7 rated for 275hp backed by an 9 speed pulling a tandem axle flat that rolled back to unload trusses. Man, I could not get away from that POS fast enough. The fifth wheel was fixed so you could only get 7500 lbs on the front tractor axle so you had to watch not overloading the single drive axle. Even with a legal gross, the rig was a total dog on the hills. Handling was something else. The trailer would be pushing that tractor all over the place. About the best way I could describe it would be "barrel rolling".

/ Class 6 Truck #7  
My daughter drives a F-650 for work,it has the Cat and a six speed standard trans. It is a bit of a dog,and has had hydraulic slave cylinder and clutch issues. The seat is a stock pump up seat,not a true airride,it's time for a new seat. The GVW is just under the requirement for a CDL endorsement. The F-650 is available with airbrakes. Sterlings are a pile of ^%&* My wife drives a Sterling triaxle dump. The interior,inside door panels and headlight bezels are falling apart. I drive a Freightliner FLD112,it is more rugged then Sterling,I had thought of getting a Sterling once. plowking

/ Class 6 Truck
Tell me what you want to do with this truck. I have experience with class
8's through tri-axles and lowboys behind them. I might be able to help.

I'm wanting to tow up to 25,000 lbs (inclusive of trailer weight).

An F-650 towing 45,000lbs is virtually impossible. I wouldn't want to be the
poor sucker pulling 22.5 tons behind one. Even 35,000 is a lot. Those are
medium sized excavators on 20 ton lowboys.

I didn't make myself sufficiently clear. I should of said a GCVWR of 35,000 to 45,000 lbs. I only want to tow up to 25,000 lbs.; With a class 6 truck I'm guessing that's probably about 35,000 lbs of gross combined weight.

/ Class 6 Truck
Hope this has what you're looking for for the fords anyhow.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/default.asp

Model Max. GVWR Max. GCWR*
F-650 Regular/Super/Crew Cab 26,000 Lbs. 40,000 Lbs.
F-750 Regular/Super/Crew Cab 30,000 Lbs. 45,000 Lbs.
F-750 Regular/Super/Crew Cab 33,000 Lbs. 60,000 Lbs.

Thanks KLM. The GCWR for the F-650 is right in the middle of my educated guess of 35K - 45K GCWR. Of course that doesn't mean that an F-650 will tow it really well but at least the truck is rated for what I want to do.

/ Class 6 Truck
My daughter drives a F-650 for work,it has the Cat and a six speed standard trans. It is a bit of a dog,and has had hydraulic slave cylinder and clutch issues. The seat is a stock pump up seat,not a true airride,it's time for a new seat. The GVW is just under the requirement for a CDL endorsement. The F-650 is available with airbrakes. Sterlings are a pile of ^%&* My wife drives a Sterling triaxle dump. The interior,inside door panels and headlight bezels are falling apart. I drive a Freightliner FLD112,it is more rugged then Sterling,I had thought of getting a Sterling once. plowking

Thanks for the info. So, do you feel the FL-60 and IH 4200 are probably better built and will last longer with fewer problems? I've heard that Freightliners' are expensive to get worked on (but that's just what I've read).