Kaufman Trailers

/ Kaufman Trailers #1  

IllMarty1

Silver Member
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a 14k GVW deck over 21' + 4' made by Kaufman. Price seems great at $4440 plus $290 for pop up grated dove tail. This trailer will have multiple uses for me in my business, but the reason for the purchase is moving a 22.5' tall buld sand hopper that weighs 6000 pounds.

Anyone have one or have any info on this manufacturer?

Marty

/ Kaufman Trailers #2  
Bought a 16' car hauler off the kaufman lot about 5 years ago. I bought it on a whim, as we was down there visiting the wife's family. My MIL bought some (a lot) furniture (family and kaufman are very close to High Point, NC) so I worked a deal where I would buy a trailer and haul it home if she gave me what she was going to pay towards shipping.

Pros.

• The only thing I've done to it in 5 years is repack the bearings and adjust the brakes.
  • It's spent it's life hauling 3 types of loads. Overweight, Capacity, and Empty. No issues.
  • Pulls straight, haven't even had a tire blowout.
  • Price was right.

Cons.

• The paint sucks - it started to 'rust' the first winter. And I don't think they picked it up to paint the bottom.
  • I have a diamond plate deck - where it's welded it's welded good, but they should have put at least another pound of wire on the deck - it rattles and carries on when you go down the road - The deck is not welded from the bottom at all. When I really strap down a load, I can put enough tension on the d-rings to start to lift the diamond plate where it's not welded.:eek:
  • They wired it w/ scotch locks. After 5 years outside, it is time to re wire the whole thing. The rear lights work when they want, and after heavy use, my prodigy shows a short on the breaks.

Yes; most of my issues are w/ the decking - yours should be wood so I don't think you'll have the same issues. Expect the wiring to suck.

In hind sight, I don't regret the purchase. I've gotten a metric ton of use out of it. However, if I was 'shopping' at home, I doubt I would have ended up w/ a kaufman. If anything, I only wish I would have bought a bigger one :D That little 16' 7k trailer is *right* at the limit with my dk35.

/ Kaufman Trailers
Thanks for the reply. Well I hope the paint doesn't suck too bad as I just placed my order. I'll look it over with a fine tooth comb.LOL. There is an upgrade for sealed wiring harness that I ordered, so hopefully that will help the lights/wiring issues you had. It sure is aggravating as **** when the lights don't work correctly due to a short and you are loaded and ready to move.

/ Kaufman Trailers #4  
I'm astounded at how many people report trailers with scotch locks and crap paint jobs.

Scotch locks should be illegal on motor vehicles & trailers... Lights or brakes could fail anytime.

/ Kaufman Trailers #5  
I'm astounded at how many people report trailers with scotch locks and crap paint jobs.

Scotch locks should be illegal on motor vehicles & trailers... Lights or brakes could fail anytime.

sad isn't it.

Although, if Hillsboro paints their trailers like they paint their flatbeds, they may be the exception to the rule. The paint on my truck body is thick and has a good shine. If I hadn't already beat it to kingdom come, I would expect it to last for quite a long time.

/ Kaufman Trailers #6  
Builder, I just bought a trailer, and it has a crap paint job, no scoth locks though. I set my sights low and got what I expected. I did take a good look at the wiring, and its not to bad. I rarely see a trailer with what I would call a good paint job.

/ Kaufman Trailers
Ok, we took delivery on friday!

Attachments

• kaufmanntrailer 002.jpg
    kaufmanntrailer 002.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 718
   / Kaufman Trailers #8  
I also have a 16ft 7K Kauffman car hauler. I bought it from a buddy and got such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. Now I have a bigger tractor and I'm gonna have to upgrade. I've been looking at some of the bigger Kauffman trailers because their prices are so good. The paint on mine is fair but it is 8 years old.

I'm curious if they're using LED's. I don't see it listed on their website so I would guess not.