Hauling a MF 135

/ Hauling a MF 135 #11  
There are very few gas tractors to be found in France, because of the very high price of gas (heavy taxes). We didn't have 3-cyl Perkins diesels either, the MF 35 produced in Beauvais in the fifties and sixties had 4-cyl Hotchkiss diesel engines built near Paris. The two I use are still going strong !

/ Hauling a MF 135
So would it be safe to say that this tractor has live pto?

/ Hauling a MF 135 #13  
So would it be safe to say that this tractor has live pto?
I don't think it would be safe to assume that. You see that Farmwithjunk refers to the deluxe and standard versions. As far a I understand it only the deluxe models had the live PTO, but I'm not 100% of the ones in the late 1960's. Maybe someone can tell you from the photo if it's the deluxe version.

/ Hauling a MF 135 #14  
There are very few gas tractors to be found in France, because of the very high price of gas (heavy taxes). We didn't have 3-cyl Perkins diesels either, the MF 35 produced in Beauvais in the fifties and sixties had 4-cyl Hotchkiss diesel engines built near Paris. The two I use are still going strong !

In Holland we never had any Hotchkiss engines in MF... i did hear of the name but never saw one in an MF.. The ones i had (35 built in Beauvais !) had the Standard 4 cylinder engine, which is also used in certain A-C models.
The 133 i had (Coventry built), was a later one with a Perkins A4-107
The TEF my brother had, was a Perkins P3 conversion.

In Holland the same thing as in France, gas prices were outrageous due to taxes and the roughly 50% higher consumption of the gassers.
They were only sold because of the poor starting of the Standard diesel. I know of one man who home drilled some glow plug holes into the heads.
When the P3 conversion was readily available, the conversions outcompeted both factory diesel and gas versions, and today, a p3 conversion, or a later factory version with Perkins engine, is worth double the price of a Standard diesel engined 35

original gas or fuel oil TEF tractors arent worth a sh*t. The unchanged TEFs are mostly wrecked for parts to keep the P3 conversions in running condition.
This leads to the conclusion that the P3 conversion, is generally accepted as an original classic tractor.

/ Hauling a MF 135
Just wanted to clpse out this post with a big thanks for everyones help. I got the tractor home this evening, she fit perfectly on the uhaul auto transport trailer. Will be starting a new post shortly in the proper forum to get some suggestions on getting this old girl back up to speed. Thanks again.

/ Hauling a MF 135 #16  
Glad it all went well and you and the new lady are safe at home!

Chris

/ Hauling a MF 135 #17  
...As long as the Perkins gas is more durable than the Standard Diesel, he'd be o.k. with it...

The Standard IDI 4 cyl. Diesels were notorous for their poor starting and oil consumption. Short said, bad engines. In Europe the switch to Diesel fuel in tractors was much quicker than in North America, in Europe the switch from 10% diesels, 90% kerosene, to 10% kerosene, 90% diesel, happened within 5 years. Availability and price of both fuels also changed because of that.

With a proper block heater, glow plugs and even a thermal blanket, and the 23c will not let you down.....Ours NEVER did!! We are in the process of a MF 35 resto with a Perkins conversion, and the only reason for the conversion is the lack of injector lines and other parts, other wise the 23c would be staying.

/ Hauling a MF 135 #18  
With a proper block heater, glow plugs and even a thermal blanket, and the 23c will not let you down.....Ours NEVER did!! We are in the process of a MF 35 resto with a Perkins conversion, and the only reason for the conversion is the lack of injector lines and other parts, other wise the 23c would be staying.
Dad has a MF Industrial 30 with a Perkins diesel (~50hp IIRC) and as long as you plug in the block heater an hour before you want to use the tractor and store the battery inside (or keep it charging, the alternator doesn't work on his tractor) it will start in any weather.

Aaron Z

/ Hauling a MF 135 #19  

When i was 13, i got a 133 for my birthday as a "project"
It had a frost cracked head so it hadnt ran for a while. We tried to crank it on the PTO with our 4712 but didnt check the oil. Someone also drained the oil. Result was seized engine.
Then my brothers bought 2 35's of a guy who just got married and didnt have time to finish the restoration. The engines were just thrown into bins, no one knows which pushrod belongs to what rocker, and what piston is seated to what set of rings and what liner.
I didnt have that much time and experience either, and my brother didnt have time to help, so in the end, when i was 16 we turned them all into scrap.

I could have supplied a lot of engine parts but we scrapped them 10 years ago...

Right now i have my 3011 as a project, i rebuilt the transmission 2 winters ago, i'm going to do a head job soon. I'm not sure if i'm going to restore the original mudguards, or will order some cheap Ursus C-360 mudguards which are still available and fit Zetors too because the design was handed over to Ursus...
I wont take a non-runner as a project anymore, but something i can do in stages, and put to use inbetween...

By the way, most injector lines can be made from universal parts. If you use brake lines it might be a good idea to replace all 4 so you cant get any difference in injection delay per cylinder. However the roughly 70 bar injection pressure of a Ricardo swirl chamber system, the injection lines dont deform much due to the injection pressure.