trailer to haul hay

/ trailer to haul hay #11  
If you're only hauling hay, get a deckover flat bed and use straps. Don't even bother with tarps. Tarps are for hay storage, not transport. Get the biggest trailer your truck will handle. If you have a 1 ton truck, I'd say get a gooseneck.

Sides and an enclosed trailer will cost more, and they only get in the way. If you don't use 1 ton bales yet, soon enough you will. You won't want sides.

If you have anything else you plan to use this trailer for, that changes everything. Now you have to start thinking about deck height, dovetail, etc.

I agree

Only I prefer a gooseneck no matter what size truck or trailer

/ trailer to haul hay #12  
My gooseneck dually dump works well for me hauling hay home to meet my needs. The sidewalls stabilize the load. Working alone, the bed height allows me to easily off load up to my hay mow without man handling my elevator out.

On the loading side, if I can place the trailer lower than the storage area, then the bales can be easily tossed down to the trailer deck. Loading from a hay wagon is easy enough too. Loading from the ground out in the field makes those farm hands work up a good sweat though especially with some heavy alfalfa bales.