18000 Lb. Drawtite Receiver hitch

/ 18000 Lb. Drawtite Receiver hitch #1  

IllMarty1

Silver Member
Anyone hear of a new Drawtite receiver that is rated at 18K weight carrying? The local dealer says there is such an animal, but Drawtite has nothing on their website. Looking at Putnam and Super Hitch by Torkliftwith weight carrying @ 15K. Any opinions?

/ 18000 Lb. Drawtite Receiver hitch #2  
Most I have seen is 15,000#. I have a factory 15,000# 2.5" receiver on my 2006 F-350 and I put one with the same ratings called a Reese Titan on my F-250 after I broke the factory 2" unit it came with. My fault, I overloaded it. Drawtite is owned by Reese so the units are the same. That is not to say there is not a 18,000# unit, but I have not seen it. Putnam also makes some good hitches with high capacity and the finish is nicer than Reese or Drawtite but when I was buying one I wanted to stay with 2.5" units and they only offered 2" units at that time, may not be the case now.

Chris

/ 18000 Lb. Drawtite Receiver hitch #3  
It appears that etrailer does sell such a hitch, but it might not fit anything but the F450.:)

Oops, I take that back. They do list it here for the F250 and F350.

/ 18000 Lb. Drawtite Receiver hitch
Well it is ordered. We shall see how long it takes the hitch store to install this "no drill" hitch. :rolleyes:

/ 18000 Lb. Drawtite Receiver hitch #5  
Well it is ordered. We shall see how long it takes the hitch store to install this "no drill" hitch. :rolleyes:

If its a Ford Superduty the hardest part is dropping the spare tire. Once you get it out its a piece of cake. I have installed 3 of the 15K 2.5" hitches on 2004 and newer trucks and they are heavy. It will take 2 guys to hold it up and get things started, then you are off and running. Make sure to not let them just run the bolts up with a impact. I believe they need to be torqued to 75 FT LBS, at least that is what the 15K ones are. It will have instructions in the hardware bag. It may not say to remove the spare and can be done with out so, but believe me it makes it much easier. Once you are done just crank it back up.

By the way for anyone following this we install so many hitches I actually made a mount to fit into the socket of my Floor Jack. You simply take out the pedestal, slip in the mount, then slid the hitches receiver tube on it, then use the jack to bring it up into place. I had wrenched my back too many times doing it by myself.

Chris

/ 18000 Lb. Drawtite Receiver hitch #6  
Since I have a Ford Ranger, it's a little lighter duty:D but I just let U-Haul install the hitch receiver, and even on the Ranger, they dropped the spare tire to install the hitch, but then it was a very simple installation with no drilling.

/ 18000 Lb. Drawtite Receiver hitch #7  
By the way for anyone following this we install so many hitches I actually made a mount to fit into the socket of my Floor Jack. You simply take out the pedestal, slip in the mount, then slid the hitches receiver tube on it, then use the jack to bring it up into place. I had wrenched my back too many times doing it by myself.

Chris

Good Idea. Sounds like the way to do it. Terry