chain/binders

/ chain/binders #11  
Thanks for the replies. If straps are ok I would rather use straps. My tractor and FEL weigh about 3300 lbs. Straps seem easier to work with. For those of you that use straps what should I consider other than the working load limit?

Well, like I said, you can't go over anything sharp without something to protect it.
You can't leave them out in the sun
You can't leave them out in the rain
They get damaged pretty easily
They will loosen when they get wet.

Chains can lie around for years and are still fine.

IMHO straps are good for stuff, for equipment, chains.

/ chain/binders #12  
I really like the ratchet binders much more than the lever binders I used - have used the ratchet ones for years with no issues. The infinite adjustability I think is nice. They also can be used in other situations like a small come-a-long. We have used them with chains to pull beams together etc.

Ken

/ chain/binders #13  
This is an important point. For the OP, find out what your state, and/or other states that you will haul your tractor in, require.

Some time back, I checked directly with California Highway Patrol, to make sure how to properly secure my little Kubota. I made sure they understood it weighed only about 2500lbs. They indicated, that in Calif, the requirement is a restraint on all four corners. They did not care if it was lever vs ratchet binder, or strap vs chain, as long as it was rated high enough for the load.

Other members here, long haul truckers, in other threads indicated that while in one state only two chains are required, you could in fact get a ticket for hualing that way when you crossed the Calif state line.

I personally, gave up on straps. They got weathered, got nicked. Now I only use them for securing hay or boxes on my trailer. Otherwise, I use chain and lever binders. Lever binders, mostly because that was what a store here had at the time, and I had used them in the past while helping others out.

Loading has become very tricky with all the DOT regs around. Stuff that works and has worked forever isn't legal anymore, or isn't enough anymore. Your government in action.

Anyway I like chains,

/ chain/binders #14  
Not to be dissagreeable, but I have never had a strap loosen when wet. I use them a lot, and truckers use them all the time to secure sensitive loads. Of course you can't go over anything sharp, and leaving them in the sun is not good for them at all. And I have never damaged one, and trust me, I haul things all the time. I like the regular hooks on the ends. The snap hooks make sure you won't lose them, but can be a real pain. The flat hooks just don't do me any good. And like was said, tie up those loose ends. Running over one can be a disaster.

/ chain/binders #15  
Not to be dissagreeable, but I have never had a strap loosen when wet. I use them a lot, and truckers use them all the time to secure sensitive loads.

I see them all the time on big rigs too. On static loads, ie pallets or boxes. On loads that can roll, I always see chain/binders.

Wonder why...???

/ chain/binders #16  
For my short hauls I use straps, stored out of the elements and repalced regularly. It is imperative that you pay careful attention to chaffing. Even the heavy duty staps can be cut with a butter knife when they are tight

As far as just loosening up on their own I have never expierenced it. I will also add if I where going on a long interstate trip the chains and rachet binders would be used.. Just my 02 cents..

/ chain/binders
After some reading and shopping, I think chain and binders are not only better but likely cheaper in the long run because the chains will last where as straps will have to be replaced. Now to my next question. It seems Lowes has a good deal on 20' of 5/16" grade 70 chain with hooks. Two of these cut in half will give me four 10' chains which should be more than enough chain according to my measurements. The question is what is the best/easiest method to cut the chain? Also, it seems all the binders I've seen are made in China. Does anyone have experience with the China made Harbor Freight binders verses more expensive China made binders from other sources?

/ chain/binders #18  
After some reading and shopping, I think chain and binders are not only better but likely cheaper in the long run because the chains will last where as straps will have to be replaced. Now to my next question. It seems Lowes has a good deal on 20' of 5/16" grade 70 chain with hooks. Two of these cut in half will give me four 10' chains which should be more than enough chain according to my measurements. The question is what is the best/easiest method to cut the chain? Also, it seems all the binders I've seen are made in China. Does anyone have experience with the China made Harbor Freight binders verses more expensive China made binders from other sources?

I have had good luck with HF binders. As for cutting the chain, grade 70 is tough. Lowes should be able to cut it since they cut bulk chain to length. If no I would recommend a cut off wheel for a 4.5" angle grinder. You can get the wheels at HF for a few bucks each and they will cut it like butter as long as you have a vise to chuck it in.

Chris

/ chain/binders #19  
Yes, the cut-off wheel (which also can be purchased at Lowe's or Harbor Freight) is really the best way to cut grade 70 chain safely. Don't forget the extra Grade 70 hooks while you are there.

You can cut the chain with big bolt cutters or hydraulic cutters but you might damage the cutter or throw a big chip of metal. Not worth it, go with the cut-off wheel.

/ chain/binders
I do have a 4.5" grinder but had not thought about it. Thanks