chain/binders

/ chain/binders #31  
The back - probably not. I did it that way that one time I took the picture. The front I think is OK because it is attached to the loader frame that is permanently bolted to the tractor frame. These are the only points near the front of the tractor where I can get a straight run for the chain between the tractor and the tie-downs on the trailer (otherwise the wheels are in the way). Then there is the third chain on the loader itself.

/ chain/binders #32  
Why cut a perfectly good chain when you can make 2 virtual short chains and still have a long chain if you need it? See photo.
Interesting to see that you have a license plate showing on your tractor. Is that a requirement up in Canada?

Rusty

/ chain/binders #33  
Why cut a perfectly good chain when you can make 2 virtual short chains and still have a long chain if you need it? See photo.

I was looking more closely at that picture in response to Rusty's comment about the license plate and just noticed the truck you have pulling your trailer. Cool Old Truck!!

I still haven't seen the license plate though.

/ chain/binders #34  
Harbor freight binders and chains, no problems. 3/8 chain on the tractor and 5/16 chain on bucket and Gannon. Although I use these on this tractor-trailer, on our bigger stuff, it is all USA made stuff. ;)

Attachments

• P4190001.JPG
    P4190001.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 601
  • P4190004.JPG
    P4190004.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 440
   / chain/binders #35  
Rusty...For non farm use a licence plate is required in the province of New Brunswick (if travelling on public roads). The only travel I do on a public road is 1/4 mile to my son's house to plow his driveway. It's not heavily enforced. The main reason it's on there is my previous insurance agent was just plain hard to get along with.

Iplayfarmer... thanks for the comment on Old Reliable. That's a 1979 F-100 with a 300 - 6 cyl. It originally had a 3-speed, but I replaced that with a Warner T-18 4-speed many years ago and also added 2 plies to the rear springs. I figure it doesn't owe me anything. It had a newly rebuilt motor when I bought it in 1987 for $2000. I wore that motor out and had it rebuilt again in 2001. I have no idea how many hundreds of thousands of miles are on the truck. I've worn out 2 speedometers and am now on the third one.
Oh, the plate is at the top of the tractor cab.

/ chain/binders
Just an update, I purchased four ratchet binders ($21.99 each) and two 20' grade 70 5/16" chains ($26.99 or $27.99) from HF. I plan to cut the chains in half and have four good chains that will only be used to tie down the tractor. I have plenty of older chain for other stuff. One final question. I bought a clevis for the drawbar from TSC as a tie down point for the rear as I don't see another good tie down point on the rear. The clevis has a 16,000 lb WIL. Is the drawbar considered a proper tie down point? Thanks for the guidance.

/ chain/binders #38  
Just an update, I purchased four ratchet binders ($21.99 each) and two 20' grade 70 5/16" chains ($26.99 or $27.99) from HF. I plan to cut the chains in half and have four good chains that will only be used to tie down the tractor. I have plenty of older chain for other stuff. One final question. I bought a clevis for the drawbar from TSC as a tie down point for the rear as I don't see another good tie down point on the rear. The clevis has a 16,000 lb WIL. Is the drawbar considered a proper tie down point? Thanks for the guidance.

I've always tied off the to ROPS. I figure if it's engineered to hold the tractor off of me, It ought to hold the tractor to the trailer. I hope someone else chimes in who knows about the drawbar. I haven't used the drawbar because everytime I load the tractor on the trailer I have an implement on that would make tying to the drawbar cumbersome.

/ chain/binders #40  
If you are doing a 4 chain tiedown running 2 thru the drawbar is kind of a waste because if the single point fails the entire end of the machine is loose.

The drawbar weight rating is some fraction of the tractor weight and is only pinned to the bottom of the tractor. Pins fall out.

Axle trumpets are major members & would be a true 4 point tiedown.