Refurbishing the trailer

/ Refurbishing the trailer #1  

Egon

Epic Contributor
Folks; my trailer is need of some refurbishment. The ugly heavy box is gone, the rotted floorboards have been removed and now it sits awaiting the installation of new fenders, floorboards, ramp holders and paint.

several questions:

1: Should I use self tapping screws or bolts to attach the floorboards?

2: How should I go about cleaning it up for painting?

3: What type of paint should be used?

4:What should I use for undercoating?

5: What type of small box would be desirable for holding tools and fuel? This would only be a small one probably on the front.

Attachments

• P5090001_edited-1.jpg
    P5090001_edited-1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 184
  • P5090002.JPG
    P5090002.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 187
  • P5090003.JPG
    P5090003.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 170
   / Refurbishing the trailer #2  
I refurbished two trailers in the past two years:

On the first one, i replaced so many rotten steel in the process, that in hindsight i could build a brand new one in less time, ending up with a whole lot less of annoying wire brushing, cutting and aligning.

From here, the crossbars look pretty rusted. You're going to wish you never started it when you try to wire brush them all, in the inside of the C channels too.
If you have access to a commercial sand blasting outfit, just sand blast it. If not, buy new steel.

It looks like the axles are widened, judging from the pipe and welds in the middle. This trailer doesnt wear its tires uneven ?

Be sure of what you're getting into !

/ Refurbishing the trailer #3  
I agree with Renze that you need to sandblast first to get rid of the rust so you can see what you have left to work with. Then replace any bad steel needed.

For decking I prefer carriage bolts for easier future replacement. My current trailer has the self tappers but I'll replace with carriage bolts when needed.

For paint I pick a standard color equipment type industrial enamel paint most automotive stores carry. In my part of the country there is a lot of salt used in winter so repainting every 2 or 3 years is about normal.

My trailer came undercoated but I re-spray with rattle can undercoat same as re-painting or every 2-3 years.

I use a diamond plate aluminum box on the tongue I bought from Tractor Supply. You have your spare on the tongue which can be relocated to the side with a spare tire bracket that tractor Supply also sells.

/ Refurbishing the trailer #4  
Listen to what the others are saying. When its time to redo my trailer I will have it sandblasted, primed, then Rhino Lined. You know, the stuff they spray truck beds with. I will do all this then bring it home, wire it, and then install the boards.

Chris

/ Refurbishing the trailer #5  
The 1st wife's sisterinlaw, the one who used to work at the computer chip factory till the downturn is workin at the truckstop now slingin hash and she was saying last Thursday when we all fgot together to play eucher that there was a few truckers talking about this new spray on process their company is using to get some more years out of their trailers.

Fern, that's the 1st wife's sisterinlaw, the one who used to work at the computer chip factory said they take the tires off the trailer and then they run it through a giant dishwasher sort of machine that uses real hot water and chemicles and when the machine stops and they pull the trailer out it's cleaner than the dishes at the truckstop. Then they have a bunch of fellows with these special welding guns that use 2 wires at the same time and arcweld new steel in to replace the steel that rusted away. Then another crew with different welding guns that they use on bridge steel sprays galvanize coating all over the new rebuilt frame.

Fern said the driver with the rebuilt trailer was showin it off in the parking lot right there next to the fuel island, but the manager didn't care cause the diesel tanks were empty and they were waiting on a delivery. If you like I can ask Fern next month where they get them trucks rewelded like that and galvanized. I can't just call her anymore cause when the computer chip factory went belly up the escialde she was living in got reposessed and she didn't get to keep the OnStar phone number. Maybe I can have Eddie swing by the truckstop and ask her if you're in a hurry cause he is hauling some bovine byproduct over on that side of town, and he could stop on a windy day. They don't seem to appreciate Eddie stopping at the truckstop when the wind ain't blowing in the right direction and he doesn't want to be banned. He gets banned from the truckstop he will have to go an extra 50 miles one way to fuel up.

/ Refurbishing the trailer
Thanks for all the replies fellows. It gives me something to think about.:D

/ Refurbishing the trailer #7  
The 1st wife's sisterinlaw, the one who used to work at the computer chip factory till the downturn is workin at the truckstop now slingin hash and she was saying last Thursday when we all fgot together to play eucher that there was a few truckers talking about this new spray on process their company is using to get some more years out of their trailers.

Fern, that's the 1st wife's sisterinlaw, the one who used to work at the computer chip factory said they take the tires off the trailer and then they run it through a giant dishwasher sort of machine that uses real hot water and chemicles and when the machine stops and they pull the trailer out it's cleaner than the dishes at the truckstop. Then they have a bunch of fellows with these special welding guns that use 2 wires at the same time and arcweld new steel in to replace the steel that rusted away. Then another crew with different welding guns that they use on bridge steel sprays galvanize coating all over the new rebuilt frame.

Fern said the driver with the rebuilt trailer was showin it off in the parking lot right there next to the fuel island, but the manager didn't care cause the diesel tanks were empty and they were waiting on a delivery. If you like I can ask Fern next month where they get them trucks rewelded like that and galvanized. I can't just call her anymore cause when the computer chip factory went belly up the escialde she was living in got reposessed and she didn't get to keep the OnStar phone number. Maybe I can have Eddie swing by the truckstop and ask her if you're in a hurry cause he is hauling some bovine byproduct over on that side of town, and he could stop on a windy day. They don't seem to appreciate Eddie stopping at the truckstop when the wind ain't blowing in the right direction and he doesn't want to be banned. He gets banned from the truckstop he will have to go an extra 50 miles one way to fuel up.

Now that is good yarn!