Trailer Brake Magnets

/ Trailer Brake Magnets #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
What makes trailer brake magnets go bad??

It seems any trailer or axle I've come accross that is even slightly older has no brakes anymore. About the only thing that fails on these are the magnets. What is it that makes them go bad. Is it overuse? Lack of use? After I get new magnets are there things I can do to keep the magnets working longer?

/ Trailer Brake Magnets #2  
I think heat from failure to adjust the brake controller according to the load thus over applying the trailer brakes is a major cause of magnet failure. Some people leave the controller set to high and let the trailer stop both the load & tow vehicle. OK when using rented trailers, bad for owned ones. MikeD74T

/ Trailer Brake Magnets #3  
No rhyme or reason. They are electrical so as you know they can fail at any moment or for easy reason.

I would say the best thing you can do is keep the trailer on concrete or better yet in a barn. Moisture from the ground will play havoc with any trailer and component.

Chris

/ Trailer Brake Magnets
I managed to get one axle worth of brakes working on my new-to-me trailer. I don't know if I just wasn't testing the brakes right previously, or what; but I pulled the magnets and jumpered them direct to a spare marine battery I had sitting on the shelf. Each magnet then picked up all the bolts I had on the bench. I put the magnets back in the brakes, and now they work.

I don't know if the higher available amperage of hooking direct to the battery somehow reactivated the magnets, or if it was something else. Regardless of the cause, the result is that I have some braking from the trailer now. Before I get flamed by the legion of concerned posters, I do plan on getting the second axle working too.

I also noticed in my research about the trailer brakes that my front trailer axle is on backwards.

/ Trailer Brake Magnets #5  
I have one trailer that I have never had good braking on. I will be giving it a good check up. Is there a particularly good web site that gives info and diagrams concerning setup and maintenance?

Vernon

/ Trailer Brake Magnets #6  
I've never had any problems with magnets, it's usually a grounding problem, and 99% of the time, it's in the plug, in my case. I run my ground directly to the truck battery, to assure a good ground.

Dexter has a great resource libray, for all kinds of problems... You will need Adobe Reader to open the files, and you may need to unblock that particular pop up to see the file.

Also a couple links below for the best prices I could find online for brake asemblies I just replaced, and bearings... USA Timkens to boot..!!

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - RESOURCE LIBRARY

Trailer Parts Superstore - Online Shopping Sitemap Trailer Brake assemblies

JBR 17 LLC Timken Bearings, cups & seals

/ Trailer Brake Magnets #7  
iplayfarmer- I doubt the direct battery hookup did anything, perhaps a new connection did the trick? maybe bad grounding or power inleads? bad connector? who knows.

I am not worried about you not getting the second set working- one set of brakes is better then nothing and now you know what to look for on second axel. I know you will get er done.;)

/ Trailer Brake Magnets
iplayfarmer- I doubt the direct battery hookup did anything, perhaps a new connection did the trick? maybe bad grounding or power inleads? bad connector? who knows.

I am not worried about you not getting the second set working- one set of brakes is better then nothing and now you know what to look for on second axel. I know you will get er done.;)

I'm 100% better than I was since the previous trailer didn't have brakes at all. Now that I have the one set working, I'll probably use it that way for a while. When another stroke of ambition hits me, I'll work on the other axle.