Gatormade

/ Gatormade #1  

Bentwrench

Seems to be a lot of questions about trailer manufactures recently so I thought I'd share my recent trip. I went to Gatormade Trailers "shop" this past wednesday and picked up a new 20+5 14.000 GVW gooseneck. I had about an hour to walk around and check things out while waiting on my trailer to be finished.
1st thing I noticed was that all utility trailers start out being welded together upside down on a rolling cart/jig set up for each size of trailer, then it is rolled into a paint booth and the 1st coat goes on the bottom side. I've owned stock trailers that were supposed to be top of the line that never had paint on the underside untill I done it! All of their trailers were completly painted before any flooring went on.
Next thing I noticed was that all wiring was done with harnessed wire, not loose wires. What trailers I saw completed were tested before ever going outside.
When my trailer was done I backed inside their 300,000 sq.ft. shop and hooked up and was told to check out the trailer. One of the shop foremans stayed with me to make sure everything was ok.
When I got home I backed it into my shop and rolled under it to double check things. I never saw a weld I didn't like and I never found anything loose or left undone. Just because I'm picky I did add a couple wire ties and two pieces of rubber hose where wiring was going up from the front axle to the frame.
I did get a couple of cans of trailer paint to use under the trailer where acouple of places look alittle light, no big deal.
Overall I believe this is best looking equipment trailer I've bought and I've had several over the years. When it is time to replace on of my other trailers I'm sure I'll go back to them after buying this one.

/ Gatormade #2  
Yeah the gatormades are nice looking units, they were in my top 3 but the local selection is not so good, I wish I could have toured all the fab shops.

Good to hear someone likes thier new trailer

/ Gatormade #3  
We have sold a few Gators and many around here have them. Seem to be the most bang for the buck and very will put together for the most part.

Chris

/ Gatormade #4  
I too looked hard at gators but there weren't any local dealers. Would you mind posting a couple pics of your new trailer?

Matt;)

/ Gatormade #5  
I wish mine is like yours, I picked up the 20 + 5 gooseneck last Tuesday and it was missing paint under the frame I beams and trusses and angles that make up the self cleaning dovetail. The wiring is somewhat OK. Scotchlocks were used on top of the gooseneck where the loading lights/turn signals are as butt connectors. Bare wires are sticking out of the ends of these connectors. The spare tire was mounted bacwards and when I tried to turn it around so I could check the tire pressure, the studs were too short. There is a light for the step on the front that is just a plastic tag light. The crank handle for the jacks hits this light when I try to put the handle in the storage holder. The light housing will only take a few more hits. I found today that where the main wiring goes down from the neck the jack crank connector pinches the main cable and is cutting into it. I'm afraid this is going to short out. I am going to call tomorrow and see if anything can be done about this. I will post back what the outcome is.

Mike

/ Gatormade #6  
under I beam
DSC00948.jpg

under dovetail
DSC00947.jpg

jack handle
DSC00941.jpg

on top of gooseneck (I put the silicone there to prevent shorts)
DSC00944.jpg

jack connector pinching the wire as it turns
DSC00949.jpg

/ Gatormade #7  
Ill bet they say its "industry standard", and Im starting to belive it is.

I guess its Hit or miss , even if you do your research, the manufactures seem quite inconsistent with quality.

;)
But of course the showroom models are all perfect aint they

/ Gatormade #8  
I gave Gator Mades warranty department a call back this morning and they said that my case is being worked on now. I really like this trailer but all the little things add up, mainly the paint missing from the underside because it is advertised as painted/primed fully top and bottom. I will keep this updated.

Mike

/ Gatormade #9  
Gator Made just called me back and told me they are building another trailer for me. When it is done I will go down there and exchange trailers and go over the new one with them fully. Excellent customer service! I will post how the new one is.

Mike

/ Gatormade #10  
Thanks for sharing. :eek: A new trailer, yeah thats good service.
Were you dealing directly with the Manufacturing/dealer, or a satalite/independant dealer?

I ask because Gatormade was my close choice and from your thread maybe should have been first choice. But I am very far from there Manuf. shop.
If I need another trailer down the road I want to try a Gatormade.