size of trailer for TC33?

/ size of trailer for TC33? #1  

global312

Hello all. I am just starting to haul my tractor (TC33) around. I have been using my only trailer (7000#) - primarily used for hauling my ZTR mower around. The problem is that it is only 12' long. I have to set the bucket from the FEL in the back of the truck to make things fit. There is no room for attachments. My truck is a 2001 F350 (V10). My questions are what would be the best size / most functional trailer for me. The rear tires are filled. The attachments I currently have are forks, rear finiish mower, loader, box blade, blade, and landscape rake. Most of the time I would either have the landscape rake or box blade attached, although occasionally I would need to haul with the mower attached. I have been leaning towards a 18' 5 ton but have been thinkin about a 20'. Weight wise my current trailer has no problem handling the tractor, but I think that a 5 ton would be alot better. My other question has to do with my hitch which is a V-5 ... it states maximum tow ratings with a weight distribution hitch is 10000 lbs. but onlly 5000 weight carrying (ie. without weight distribution hitch) ... does this mean that I would have to get a weight distribution hitch if my trailer and tractor plus attachments are over 5000 lbs. ? I don't see anybody arround here using weight distribution hitches and I can't imagine that my truck would be limited to only 5000 lbs. without. Any information is appreciated. I really want to make the right decision on what size trailer I should get.

/ size of trailer for TC33? #2  
Hello all. I am just starting to haul my tractor (TC33) around. I have been using my only trailer (7000#) - primarily used for hauling my ZTR mower around. The problem is that it is only 12' long. I have to set the bucket from the FEL in the back of the truck to make things fit. There is no room for attachments. My truck is a 2001 F350 (V10). My questions are what would be the best size / most functional trailer for me. The rear tires are filled. The attachments I currently have are forks, rear finiish mower, loader, box blade, blade, and landscape rake. Most of the time I would either have the landscape rake or box blade attached, although occasionally I would need to haul with the mower attached. I have been leaning towards a 18' 5 ton but have been thinkin about a 20'. Weight wise my current trailer has no problem handling the tractor, but I think that a 5 ton would be alot better.

I would say go with a 12-14k trailer of 18-22'. I would probably say at least 20' for that wiggle room used for balance and tounge weight. So I would look more to the 20-22' range. Also, would you be looking at between the fenders, or above being a deckover? If a deckover, go with a 20+5 foot dove. If not, a 22' between the rails with no or a small dovetail is fine.

[/QUOTE] My other question has to do with my hitch which is a V-5 ... it states maximum tow ratings with a weight distribution hitch is 10000 lbs. but onlly 5000 weight carrying (ie. without weight distribution hitch) ... does this mean that I would have to get a weight distribution hitch if my trailer and tractor plus attachments are over 5000 lbs. ? I don't see anybody arround here using weight distribution hitches and I can't imagine that my truck would be limited to only 5000 lbs. without. Any information is appreciated. I really want to make the right decision on what size trailer I should get.[/QUOTE]

I'm not too sure, but I'd assume those ratings are for tounge weight. Not full trailer weight.

Good luck

Kyle

/ size of trailer for TC33?
Thanks for the info. Kyle. The trailer I get will be between the fenders, not deckover. On the load ratings I messed up... it states 12500 with weight distribution hitch, not 10000. It is hard for me to believe that it is only rated for 5000 without the wdh.

/ size of trailer for TC33? #4  
I would say go with a 12-14k trailer of 18-22'. I would probably say at least 20' for that wiggle room used for balance and tounge weight. So I would look more to the 20-22' range. Also, would you be looking at between the fenders, or above being a deckover? If a deckover, go with a 20+5 foot dove. If not, a 22' between the rails with no or a small dovetail is fine.
My other question has to do with my hitch which is a V-5 ... it states maximum tow ratings with a weight distribution hitch is 10000 lbs. but onlly 5000 weight carrying (ie. without weight distribution hitch) ... does this mean that I would have to get a weight distribution hitch if my trailer and tractor plus attachments are over 5000 lbs. ? I don't see anybody arround here using weight distribution hitches and I can't imagine that my truck would be limited to only 5000 lbs. without. Any information is appreciated. I really want to make the right decision on what size trailer I should get.[/quote]

I'm not too sure, but I'd assume those ratings are for tounge weight. Not full trailer weight.

Good luck

Kyle[/quote]

Hello all. I am just starting to haul my tractor (TC33) around. I have been using my only trailer (7000#) - primarily used for hauling my ZTR mower around.
1*The problem is that it is only 12' long. I have to set the bucket from the FEL in the back of the truck to make things fit. There is no room for attachments.
2*My truck is a 2001 F350 (V10). My questions are what would be the best size / most functional trailer for me. The rear tires are filled. The attachments I currently have are forks, rear finiish mower, loader, box blade, blade, and landscape rake. Most of the time I would either have the landscape rake or box blade attached, although occasionally I would need to haul with the mower attached. I have been leaning towards a 18' 5 ton but have been thinkin about a 20'. Weight wise my current trailer has no problem handling the tractor, but I think that a 5 ton would be alot better. My other question has to do with my hitch which is a V-5 ... it states maximum tow ratings with a weight distribution hitch is 10000 lbs. but onlly 5000 weight carrying (ie. without weight distribution hitch) ... does this mean that I would have to get a weight distribution hitch if my trailer and tractor plus attachments are over 5000 lbs. ? I don't see anybody arround here using weight distribution hitches and I can't imagine that my truck would be limited to only 5000 lbs. without. Any information is appreciated. I really want to make the right decision on what size trailer I should get.
1*You need at least 16 to 18 foot long.
2* IS it SRW or DRW ?

/ size of trailer for TC33? #5  
Providing your V5 receiver came with the truck when new, the rating listed on the receiver tag is probably the rating for that receiver on your truck.
If it says 5,000 w/o WD hitch and 10,000 with WD hitch that's what the hitch is rated for on your truck. Next to each weight rating should be a max tongue weight for with and without WD hitch.

I also have a V5 receiver. I have a different truck than you and mine is rated as follows.
Mine is rated for 7,500 max weight and 1,000# tongue weight without WD hitch and 13,000 max weight and 1500# tongue weight with WD hitch.
I can also go up to 16,500 with a gooseneck trailer but the V5 rating doesn't come into play then.

For the trailer I'd say bigger is better. Go for the 20'er. If you get the 5T trailer and are going to haul more than your hitch rating of 5,000# you should get the WD hitch. If your loaded trailer will be 5K or under no WD hitch is required. These safety ratings are placed there for general safety and to prevent lawsuits against the vehicle and receiver manufacturers should a user not abide by them. Your truck is probably more than capable of hauling 7-8K without a WD hitch and you've seen other operators do the same. Not that it will ever happen but, the problem comes if you are in an accident and a police or insurance investigator finds out you were hauling more than 5K without a WD hitch.

/ size of trailer for TC33? #6  
There are 5 classes of hitches. Class 1-5.

V5 is a government certification like SAE on motor oil. So what I am saying is you can have a class 1 hitch that is a V5. Again all the V5 means it meets government specifications for its class.

Most Ford Superdutys have a Class 4 hitch. The diesels and duallys can be ordered with a class 5. The load limits printed on the hitch are what the hitch can handle. Now you need to look in the owners manual of your truck and see what your particular truck can handle. You will follow the chart for engine, tranny, bed lenght, gear ratio, wheel base, ect.

Again, what I am saying they put the same hitch on a F-350 with the gas V8 as they do on a F-350 with a PowerStroke. Obviously the PowerStroke will tow more weight.

In a nutshell you need to look at what the truck can handle then what the hitch is rated at and go with the lower of the two values.

The values you listed from your hitch are the limits of the hitch. I think you will find the truck is rated for more than the hitch is capable of. The main reason is they allow more towing off a Goose Neck Hitch or 5th wheel.

Chris

/ size of trailer for TC33? #7  
For that size tractor i wouldn't go smaller than a 7000# capacity trailer with dual axles, 16' long.. 18-20 would be better if you have a loader or attachments like a rear mower.. etc.

soundguy

/ size of trailer for TC33? #8  
The bigger the better as long as you don't have manouvering issues with tight/steep driveways and ferrys to deal with. That kept me down to the 16' so I can actually get it into the paces I want. At the house here it gets a little crowded with parking: truck, trailer, car, tractor, fifth wheel.

/ size of trailer for TC33? #9  
I hear ya .. I pull into lots of places that make me wonder if i can turn around or not.. not a great feeling!

soundguy

/ size of trailer for TC33?
Getting into and out of areas with the trailer is a concern. I figure I need to get an 18' trailer, 20' would be better but how much of a difference will that extra 2' length make in getting in and out of areas? Either way, it the last 2' will be the dovetail.