How hard is it to replace shocks?

/ How hard is it to replace shocks? #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
My tow vehicle, '99 Chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab long bed, needs shocks; but I keep re-prioritizing the $1000 or so that it will cost to have it done. I can buy the shocks at napa starting at about $300. Is there some trick to changing the shocks? Do I need any special tools or equipment?

Also, are there better shocks for towing?

/ How hard is it to replace shocks? #2  
Basic hand tools should be all you need to replace your shocks. Use a good penetrant spray on the nuts and bolts. Can be done in your garage on a set of ramps. Air impact tools make this job quick and easy if you have them. I haven't priced shocks in a while so can't comment on price. Shop around, maybe Advance Auto or other store has a better price. I last changed 4 shocks on an 02 Chevy pickup. Took about a half hour or less with air tools.

/ How hard is it to replace shocks? #3  
Not sure how your truck is made, but on my Dodge Ram the front are the hardest.. You have to remove a tower/support mounted inside the engine compartment. The rears is just take out the top and bottom bolts remove/replace and reinstall the bolts.. Pretty straight forward. You need help with the fronts for sure, but the rears can be done alone.

I bought Bilsteins on ebay (blue/yellow for non-lifted trucks from 'top gunz customz') for a lot less than I found them any place else (even including shipping).. The Bilsteins were highly rated on some of the dodge/rams forums. a quick ebay search found the same bilsteins for about $250ish for your truck

Brian

/ How hard is it to replace shocks?
Basic hand tools should be all you need to replace your shocks. Use a good penetrant spray on the nuts and bolts. Can be done in your garage on a set of ramps. Air impact tools make this job quick and easy if you have them. I haven't priced shocks in a while so can't comment on price. Shop around, maybe Advance Auto or other store has a better price. I last changed 4 shocks on an 02 Chevy pickup. Took about a half hour or less with air tools.

I was hoping you'd say that.

Anyone have advice on a good upgrade to make a half ton tow better? I've looked around at some of the online parts places and they are advertising shocks to carry loads better. An example is the Hijacker Air Shocks. Do these shocks deliver on their promise?

/ How hard is it to replace shocks?
Not sure how your truck is made, but on my Dodge Ram the front are the hardest.. You have to remove a tower/support mounted inside the engine compartment. The rears is just take out the top and bottom bolts remove/replace and reinstall the bolts.. Pretty straight forward. You need help with the fronts for sure, but the rears can be done alone.

I bought Bilsteins on ebay (blue/yellow for non-lifted trucks from 'top gunz customz') for a lot less than I found them any place else (even including shipping).. The Bilsteins were highly rated on some of the dodge/rams forums. a quick ebay search found the same bilsteins for about $250ish for your truck

Brian

My biggest concern with doing shocks is making sure that there's not some compressed spring that is going to take my head off if I do it wrong. I can handle lots of bolts or a multistep process as long as there's no hidden hazard that I'm not going to see until too late.

Thanks for the lead on Bilsteins. Did yours improve your truck's performance any?

/ How hard is it to replace shocks? #6  
The shocks limit the ammount of axle travel, so just support the axle when the truck is in the air before you unhook the shocks. Shocks are usually an easy thing to do, the worst part is getting rusty bolts out. $1,000 seems way too high for shock replacment to me. Maybe there's something about that truck I don't know, but I wouldn't even consider paying that much. You can get shocks with "helper" springs built into them. Basically just a coil spring around the outside of the shock. The down side is it puts alot of stress on the shock mounts. You could get air shocks too, but I wouldn't mess with that if it were me.

/ How hard is it to replace shocks? #7  
I was hoping you'd say that.

Anyone have advice on a good upgrade to make a half ton tow better? I've looked around at some of the online parts places and they are advertising shocks to carry loads better. An example is the Hijacker Air Shocks. Do these shocks deliver on their promise?

I would install the Firestone ride-rite airbags on the back and those really cool ride rite Bilstein airshocks on the front. All run off a centralized compressor you control in the cab. I really want to do this when I figure out how to get all my stuff done without taking time to sleep or eat.

Check out the Firestone Ride Rites system. I think the whole kit is maybe $750. Looks like an average mechanic could install.

/ How hard is it to replace shocks? #8  
The air system Builder recommends is supposed to be really good. There are some copy cat systems around that may be cheaper(I doubt better). A local company has it on several of their F150's that they use for occasional towing and they swear by it. $1000 bucks seems really high for a shock replacement. I just changed the rear ones on my wife's F150 for around $100 for just plain cheap shocks. It is a run around truck and doesn't ever tow much of anything.

/ How hard is it to replace shocks? #9  
The shocks limit the ammount of axle travel, so just support the axle when the truck is in the air before you unhook the shocks.

You want to pay close attention to this. I've seen a shock taken loose without having the axle supported and you might be surprised at how far and how fast that axle will fall. It can cause some serious injuries.

/ How hard is it to replace shocks? #10  
Whenever I have messed with shocks I have about a 40% success rate with air tools. A torch is the only good tool for getting most of them off. I have had about the same experience with mufflers also.

These are 2 jobs I now leave to the guys a Midas.

Chris