Towing 14K trailer

/ Towing 14K trailer #1  

KB9UDE

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 John Deere x758
I have a 14K bumper pull trailer that I haul my John Deere 4120 with loader and attachments on. I currently use a 1990 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 truck. Is this truck rated for this load or do I need to look for a 1 ton??

John

/ Towing 14K trailer #3  
About the only difference between your truck and a 1ton is the brakes if comparing single rear wheel. You probably have the Corporate 14 bolt rear end same as the 1ton. So I would say no problem.

/ Towing 14K trailer #4  
Tractordata says your tractor is about 3700# plus loader, loaded tires, trailer weight, fuel, chains etc. Seems like your total is going to be at or under 7K so I don't see any problem using your truck to haul it.

/ Towing 14K trailer #5  
You'll be all right with the 4120 & 2320. Just do not try a 4020! :)

/ Towing 14K trailer #6  
Truck can pull it but what does the DOT guy with the little blue lights think? 14K trailer GVWR puts you in the CDL Class A range. What is the truck's GCWR? What is the truck's hitch rated for? Depending on your state, some are very eager to make the state some extra money.

/ Towing 14K trailer #7  
Truck can pull it but what does the DOT guy with the little blue lights think? 14K trailer GVWR puts you in the CDL Class A range. What is the truck's GCWR? What is the truck's hitch rated for? Depending on your state, some are very eager to make the state some extra money.

No it does not. In most states, except CA and maybe NY, CDL range is a GCWR of 26,001 lbs or more provided the trailer is 10,001 lbs or more.

His truck & trailer does not have a GCWR of 26,001 lbs or more. Therefore, he is not required to have a CDL.

That takes care of the licensing part. Now to the truck part:

you will be fine

He won't be fine until he reads his owners manual and checks his truck's TT capacity. My gues is a max of 10,000 off the bumper. I'd be he is well in excess of his trucks TT capacity IF the trailer is a fully loaded 14K trailer. O/P says trailer isn't fully loaded, but the last PA State cop I talked to said it is illegal to pull a trailer beyond your TT capacity, even if it is empty.

Your state may say differently.

You don't need to necessarily "look for a 1-ton". You need to do your homework and look for a truck that is rated to pull 14K off the bumper. Most SRW 1-tons are not rated to pull 14K off the bumper, especially older ones. In fact, a lot of DRW 1-tons are not rated to pull 14K off the bumper. My SRW 1-ton is rated to pull 12K off the bumper and it's an '07 diesel.

My suggestion would be to investigate if your current truck could do a 14K 5th wheel and if so, switch to a 5th wheel trailer. That would be cheaper than swithcing trucks. If it won't then try a 5th wheel trailer and an older SRW 1-ton or dually if money is tight.

If money not a problem, buy a newer duallie and keep your trailer. Just make sure that dually can pull 14K off bumper. Many can't!

/ Towing 14K trailer #8  
Based on your statement Builder Ohio should have no financial problems. They could be writing citations by the thousands here. People I know with businesses have 14K BP trailers they use every day. And like I've mentioned before the # of tandem duallies is as plentiful as dandelions behind 3/4 and 1 ton trucks here. Heck when you get right down to it 99% of the 14K's sold are for light truck use. If everyone was made to own up to the letter of some law trailers sales would go flat the next day.
Here is my take, the ratings on these trucks needs to be looked at with a grain of salt. Most light SUV's with coil spring suspension have a greater factory recommended towing limit than my 1ton van. Now it doesn't take a genius to know something ain't right about that. I saw a trailblazer once that the hitch had higher limits on the sticker than I did on the original hitch. Thats when I figured if the mfg is that far off then I'll figure whats best for me as long as its legal and in the state of Ohio I am.
Good example is the marketing wars going on with 1/2tons. Now do you really think a 1/2 is a capable as a 1ton? Any 1ton regardless of age. Well if you have a 10yr old 1ton the new 1/2 ton is probably rated as high or higher. Its a joke in my book. I'll agree 14K is pushing the limits of light truck BP but I believe its OK and can be done safe.

/ Towing 14K trailer #9  
How do you figure you can re due the laws? If a truck has a GCWR of say 20,000# there is nothing you can do to up that. I do not care what type of brakes you add, lower gears, air bags, engine/tranny mods, ect. Its still limited by the manufacture and that is what the DOT goes by. Now I agree adding any or all these items will make it tow and handle better but it does not allow you to legally increase the tow rating of the truck.

And yes, it is a war between the 1/2 tons right now but I can tell you for a fact that any of the 5 1/2 tons on the market will out tow, brake, and perform any gas 3/4 ton made just 15 years ago with the exception of in the bed payload.

Chris

/ Towing 14K trailer #10  
I think it boils down to weight of the vehicle and brakes not engine/tranny combo for tow ratings. At least in Ohio, you will not get sited for trailer/payload but how your load is secured is a factor. As long as you are under 26,000lbs I don't think anyone will stop you here. And that goes on perception if your truck and trailer aren't marked. Basically about any PU trailer combo if it looks reasonable will be OK. Besides I guarantee few officers now the difference between a 7K,12K or 14K trailer and they certainly don't know what your mfg CGWR is.
But I was comparing a gross difference between a small SUV and a 1ton truck. I realize the whole 3/4 thing is blurred now. Also remember I done the test with a new 1/2t ( supposed 10K tow rating) and my van. I think the mfg are full of crap. It ain't close IMO.