Weight of a 16" landscape trailer

/ Weight of a 16" landscape trailer #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
What does one weigh. I have been told to figure anywhere from 800lbs to a ton. That's a pretty big difference. Anything over 1500 lbs and I am running pretty tight. Anyone know?

I know it says 16 Inches in the title but I meant feet. I just can't figure how to edit the title.Sorry

Last edited:
   / Weight of a 16" landscape trailer #2  
The short answer is, it depends. If it was made with angle steel then it will be lighter, could be 1000 - 1400 lbs. If its made of tube or box steel, then it will way more could be up to 2000lbs. Add or the options for the gate, expanded mess, or just simple ladder ramps.

So again, it depends on how it was constructed. But If you can look it over, find the VIN plate and look for its unladen weight. That will be the most accurate means of telling what it ways and how much weight it can handle.

HTH

/ Weight of a 16" landscape trailer #3  
What does one weigh. I have been told to figure anywhere from 800lbs to a ton. That's a pretty big difference. Anything over 1500 lbs and I am running pretty tight. Anyone know?

I know it says 16 Inches in the title but I meant feet. I just can't figure how to edit the title.Sorry
I don't think you can.

/ Weight of a 16" landscape trailer #4  
I would venture to say that most landscape trailers would typically be made of angle. I'm no expert, and do not have deep experience, but when shopping for mine in the "landscape" class, this is what I found. Assuming all angle, 6.5 feet wide, the biggest difference, IMHO, would be the number of axles, axle capacities, type of ramps/gate, and if it has steel railings or not

Not recommending Carry-On brand (it is what I have though) but their catalog provides good examples of the differences.....

http://www.carry-ontrailer.com/media/pdf/COT2008CATALOG.pdf

/ Weight of a 16" landscape trailer
I have a 5x10 carry-on right now but I need a 16' tandem.

/ Weight of a 16" landscape trailer #6  
my 76" wide 16' + 2' dove tail 7k tandem weighs about 1000 pounds.
It came from Hedererbuilt in Poplar Bluff, Mo
frame is 3x5 C channel, not angle or box.
rough sawn white oak deck
they will custom build, electric or hydraulic brakes on one or both axles.

/ Weight of a 16" landscape trailer #7  
I have a Top Hat 16ft, tandem axle utility trailer. It has Pipe runners with angle iron supports with built in ramps in the rear. Board floor. The axles are 3500lbs each. It weights 1,700 lbs. Almost forgot, it has brakes on the rear axle.

It says on the little sticker not to exceed 3500lbs of cargo weight. I figure that it is just leaving some margin of error. 3500 + 1700 = 5200. My mahindra with loader and bush hog weighs about 4000. Seems to me that the trailer handles it well especially with the brakes.

Probably more info than you needed. Hope this helps.

/ Weight of a 16" landscape trailer #8  
I have a Top Hat 16ft, tandem axle utility trailer. It has Pipe runners with angle iron supports with built in ramps in the rear. Board floor. The axles are 3500lbs each. It weights 1,700 lbs. Almost forgot, it has brakes on the rear axle.

It says on the little sticker not to exceed 3500lbs of cargo weight. I figure that it is just leaving some margin of error. 3500 + 1700 = 5200. My mahindra with loader and bush hog weighs about 4000. Seems to me that the trailer handles it well especially with the brakes.

Probably more info than you needed. Hope this helps.
Be lots better with brakes on the rest of the wheels also.
What do ya toe it with?

/ Weight of a 16" landscape trailer #9  
MessMaker,

I pull it with my 08 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4, 5.4 gas burner. I think the ford book says 9200 lbs as far as total trailer weight. My total weight, as mentioned earlier is close to 5200lbs, I can say this, you wont forget she's back there. I could only imagine 9200.

/ Weight of a 16" landscape trailer #10  
My 18' trailer weighs 1250#. I had it weighed so I know its right. Best thing to do is weigh your tow vehicle then go home and get the trailer and weigh it on the same scale. Then just do the math. I have a scale 1.5 miles from my house so I weigh everything.

Chris

Attachments

• trailer.JPG
    trailer.JPG
    497.6 KB · Views: 3,406