10,000 LB HITCH

/ 10,000 LB HITCH #1  

bjess8

Bronze Member
Tractor
GRAND L3130
Ok you all know I am pretty new with pulling trailers so here it is.
My friend has a 10,000 lb trailer i am geussing it's GVW But anyhow he asked me what for hitch was on my 05 chevy 2500 diesel,of course I did not know so when I got my trailer break box put in I ask the trailer place and they told me it was rated at 7500 lbs.Now does this mean I can not pull a trailer that is rated at 10,000
My friend says I can not pull his unless I had a 10,000 lb hitch.why do they not put a 10,000 lb hitch on them from factory?OH also my friend has a 99 f150 and put a 10,000 lb hitch on it and says he is legal and I would not be.
any info would be great and again I am still really new with trailers and pulling and alot I learn is from this sight.
thanks

/ 10,000 LB HITCH #2  
There is a sticker on your hitch. It will say that you can attach a trailer with a certain tongue weight and a certain total weight with and without a Weight Distribution Hitch assembly. The 750/7500 is likely the allowable trailer that can be towed with just a plain old ball hitch inserted into your receiver. To legally tow the higher WDH rating you need to acquire a WDH from a company like EZlift or Reese.

If the trailer is unloaded and doesn't actually weigh 10,000# then it is safe to tow it with the lower rated hardware that corresponds with the actual trailer weight. I don't know if it is legal or not though.

An S-10 pickup could tow that trailer empty since it will only weigh 2500# or so.

A standard class 3 hitch is rated to tow 10,000 with the WDH. It is OEM on most every full sized truck sold. The GM hitch on your truck is a piece of crap that actually bolts to the bumper for support but it has high ratings. Find the sticker and read it.

I use a WDH on my F350 to tow my 10,400# rated trailer.

/ 10,000 LB HITCH #3  
Remember theres always a weak link, and when you upgrade that link, another weak link comes to play.
Someone here will know for sure, but you can find a 10000# 2+5/16 ball.
Not saying that your hitch tubes/reciver/mounts are up to the task.

But the trailer your talking about cannot weigh 10k itself, Id just guess for example sakes its 3000# empty, that just means with your 7500#rated setup
your good to load that trailer with 4500#. Remember not to exceed your tounge weight, tire load rating etc.

/ 10,000 LB HITCH
I have a Kubota grand L 3130 with a loader and it has fluid in the tires ,I am geussing it should not be over the 4500 lbs,just guessing though.
thanks for the info.

/ 10,000 LB HITCH #5  
   / 10,000 LB HITCH #6  
Highbeam is right. There should be a sticker on your hitch. My 07 2500 Dmax V-5 receiver is rated for a trailer weight of 7500# with 1000# tongue weight without a WD hitch or a trailer weight of 13,000# with 1500# tongue weight when using a weight distribution hitch.

/ 10,000 LB HITCH #7  
The GM hitch on your truck is a piece of crap that actually bolts to the bumper for support but it has high ratings. Find the sticker and read it.
Bingo Highbeam! I've been mentioning this in several threads. And to add, those hitches with big ratings might be on TrailBlazers too. Thats why I take those ratings with a grain of salt.

/ 10,000 LB HITCH #8  
...The GM hitch on your truck is a piece of crap that actually bolts to the bumper for support but it has high ratings....

What it wrong with tieing into the bumper? I think its a smart idea. Do you know why they arated incorperating reciver hitches into the bumperbeams of some newer vehicles? because the bumper has to be so strong to work, it can handle it. look at all the tralier that were pulled with just a bumper back in the dat. The GM ties into the bumper and the frame. as far as I know, I haven't heard of any problems with it.

/ 10,000 LB HITCH #9  
Interesting, as I have an old '91 Chevy p/u in the driveway that was purchased new to pull a travel trailer with. It was rated as high as they came back then, at 7500 pounds, which is a LOT for a half ton p/u. The Reese style hitch came on it and is tagged at 10,000 pounds. Interesting that my half ton p/u hitch is rated at more than the one on your 3/4 ton p/u.
David from jax

/ 10,000 LB HITCH #10  
My original hitch on my 1ton van had a sticker that said 500/5000 or 1000/10,000 WD. I've seen those tubular hitches that tie to the bumper on TrailBlazers say 600/6000 or 1000/10,000. Without being an engineer I think it would be obvious something is wrong with those stickers. I called Valley the hitch Mfg and they just say you have to abide with what ever the the sticker or vehicle mfg says. I know the law has been debated a zillion times on the forum but I can take my truck to a fab shop and have them make me a hitch that I know will withstand the load and it leaves with no sticker on it. Just like dump trucks that get the plate welded on the back. No rating, just know it will work.