Towing manure spreader

/ Towing manure spreader #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
I'm sure that this is a silly question but I'm pretty new to trucks and towing. I've got an eye out for a manure spreader (single axle not big) and want to be in a position to two one home if I pick one up at an auction.

Have a Ford F150. Do I just need a standard ball mount without the ball and a drawbar pin or some other type of setup?

I might tow it from upto an hr or so away so I have to be able to do it safely at 55-60 mph.

I imagine I also need a safety chain.

Would appreciate any information.

/ Towing manure spreader #2  
Agricultural tires used on manure spreaders are not designed for high speeds. It is likely if you towed it that fast that far they would fly appart.
Also, depending on the condition of the spreader, it might not make it that far. Before you go any distance at all, make sure it is greased really good.
I brought one home towing it, but I took back roads and went slow. Stop and check for heat in the bearings.

/ Towing manure spreader #4  
You just need a blank ball mount with a hitch pin and SAFETY pin.

Get a hitch pin that fits as tight as possible in the tongue and hitch holes.

60 mph will probably be a little fast but 40-45 mph is perfectly acceptable.

Safety chain is probably a good idea.

Keep in mind a manure spreader is basically a trailer so it will tow quite well.

/ Towing manure spreader #5  
They don't tow very well and if I just bought one, i would certainly trailer it. You have no idea if the wheels are straight, the bearings are greased, the lights work, etc.

Just pull it right up (or hook the front to the FEL) and push it right up some ramps.
chain it down, then get it home.

/ Towing manure spreader #6  
If it looks roadworthy then tow it. You may want to take a grease gun along and pump a couple of shots of grease into the axles if it has fittings. Take along an assortment of hitch pins so you have one that fits good.

I have towed a couple home, one was a NI 3639 with balloon tires. Danged thing was wider than my dually but pulled better than some of the trailers that I have had.

/ Towing manure spreader #7  
I bought one last Fall about 1 hr away. Owner said it was greased & used it for dump runs cleaning up before the family farm auction.

Made it about 7 mi and bearing failed then heat cracked the hub. This one has truck tires (1) new on it.

Wasted the day trailer fetching to carry it and 1/2 another dropping off & picking up at a Blacksmiths to cut off & replace the spindle hub...

/ Towing manure spreader
Dang. sounds like I should be towing it. Now that would not be a problem if I had a trailer - but a trailer is going to have to wait until another day. Perhaps I should start asking around who might have a trailer I can borrow here.

/ Towing manure spreader #9  
Dang. sounds like I should be towing it. Now that would not be a problem if I had a trailer - but a trailer is going to have to wait until another day. Perhaps I should start asking around who might have a trailer I can borrow here.
Lending a trailer is not a good idea.

/ Towing manure spreader #10  
55 to 60 mph is too much for a muck spreader with no suspension, nor brakes, unless the road conditions are very nice, straight and smooth.

The failing bearing mentioned by Barry in MN, can happen in any occasion. The bearings wouldnt have been in such a great shape anyways. They get some strain from the speed, but they only have to carry 1/5th of the rated load when empty. When Barry would have trailered his spreader home, it would have probably broken within 5 loads.

Why do you want to do the trip in an hour anyways ? just keep it slow so that the spreader wheels maintain contact with the road,;) and bring your wife and a picknick basket with you, and enjoy the scenery !!