Pics of equipment tied down to trailer

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #1  

tinman955

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Bobcat CT450 Cab Hoe
I was wondering if some people could post pics of their equipment properly tied down to their trailers. I have seen so many ways of it being done and would like to see the correct way if possible.

I have a Bobcat CT440 with backhoe and just bought a new 20ft 12k trailer, so im all about safety, so any pics would be great.

Thanks

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #2  
here is my toy

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,333
   / Pics of equipment tied down to trailer
Nice setup there, could you give me the specs of yr trailer and equipment. How many chains do u use with yr setup?

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #4  
This has been covered 100's of times here, do a search. In a nut shell you need 4 chains minimum. Most like 10' pieces of 5/16" grade 73 chain and 4 load binders. You can get good 5/16" grade 73 at Lowes in 20' length and have them cut it in half then get more hooks there to install.

The way I like to do it is put the chains in a X fashoin. That is hook a chain to the right rear axle then to the left side of the trailer then a binder to snug it up and so on.

As for the loader put a 2" ratchet strap or heavier over it securing it to the trailer along with any other implement to the trailers deck.

Chris

Chris thanks for the info. I have done alot of reading and it seems like people do all sorts of things when tieing down, 1 chain, 2 chains, some use straps, load forward, load backward, so I just wanted to know the correct way. I like yr ideas of crossing chains and strapin implements to deck.

Thanks

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #6  
Going on the trailer forward or backward is a matter of load balance. My tractor and trailer setup seem to work better backed on but it varies from setup to setup. Just experment to get the load leveled with about 10% or so on the tongue then strap it down good.

I like 4 separate tie downs. That way lets say one back on comes loose you still have one back one preventing it from coming forward and possibly into the back of your truck or SUV.

Chris

Sounds good Chris, with good advice and alot of common sense I should be fine. Saftey first!!!

Thanks

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #9  
It's tough to see in the picture but I use 4 chains and binders, one at each corner and criss-crossed to the corners of the trailer. I also put one 2" ratchet strap over the loader and one over the backhoe.

click thumbnail for larger image

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #10  
I have the Kioti version of your machine. I use 4 seperate chains and 4 seperate ratchet binders. I chose to use 3/8" grade 43 chain.

The rear end of your tractor has a serious drop hitch and you will thread the chain through this hitch (not the drawbar). From the hitch you go to the trailer tie downs. In front you will put your chain through the front of the frame right behind the grille guard and in front of the sheet metal body. The frame is about 4" tall there.

Your tractor is heavy. Plan for 4500 lbs with a rear implement and more with a backhoe. My 10k rated trailer weighs 2500# empty so it works out. A 7000 lb car hauler trailer will be near the max.

I personally don't strap down the loader. It won't fall off. The brush mower gets pinched under the rear chains and the Box blade just rides there also. They won't fall off the tractor since there are some stout pins holding them on the machine. I never quite understood why people and the rules say they should be strapped down. I don't strap down firewood in the bed eof my truck either, or the tractor seat.

Attachments

• smalltruck.JPG
    smalltruck.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 826