Dodge and Cummins No More????

/ Dodge and Cummins No More???? #1  

Diamondpilot

Super Star Member
Tractor
Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work
Heard on the local news that Dodge has cut ties with Cummins, a Indiana based company. What does this mean for the future of Dodge trucks? This is a big deal for Cummins since Dodge is one of the largest customers for them. I have tried to look it up on the net but really can not find anything. Wonder if its just bad info?

Does this mean Cummins may show up in another brand of truck?

Chris

/ Dodge and Cummins No More???? #2  
I thought I heard somewhere that Cummins was one of Dodge's biggest creditors.

If they do split it sure won't do Dodge any favors.

/ Dodge and Cummins No More????
I did some more reading on the local TV stations site and it looks like they are working to hammer out a new deal but the Cummins engine may not be exclusive to Dodge after all is said and done. I am sure at the end of the day they will get it worked out but it sure puts a scare in alot of people.

Chris

/ Dodge and Cummins No More???? #4  
When Dodge gets taken over by FIAT, they will want to exercise their european/Italian influence over them. They would probably love to install IVECO diesels in them, but realize that most Dodge loyal only buy their trucks for the Cummins engine. If Cummins diesels were pulled from Dodge trucks, their sales would fall 50% overnight.

When FIAT bought out Case/NH, the first thing they did was dump Cummins4BT's from their backhoes and start installing IVECO diesels in them. Carraro axles and other Italian parts are increasing in numbers on CASE backhoes. I would think that FIAT will want to do same with Dodge trucks in the future, but I don't know if there's a good match from the Iveco diesel engine lineup for an American pickup. Of course if they did it, it would be the end of Dodge trucks as we know them, so I don't think it makes financial sense.

/ Dodge and Cummins No More???? #5  
I remember years ago when Cummins threatened to stop providing engines because Dodge could not seem to put a transmission in the truck capable of dealing with the power/torque capabilities of the engine. The, therefore crappy, trucks were souring the name "Cummins" because it was associated with a POS they had no control over.

It was the following year that Dodge came out with a much-fortified tranny and all has been fairly well since...until now it seems.

Funny thing is that my Dad has a Dodge 3500 dually 4x4 club-cab Cummins powered with a 6-speed. He tows a 15,000# 5th wheel. He says the stick is AWESOME for towing as he can pick the perfect gear and let it eat.

What stinks is that his CLUTCH has started slipping on his last two trips. He now can't drive the truck in cruise-control because he can't "feel" the clutch slip. And the dealership won't touch it because they can't replicate the problem.

He came up to my house the other day and said the clutch slipped WITHOUT the trailer. Bummer. He's taking a trip to NM in the fall with the trailer...hope someone steps up to the plate before then.

I guess some things never change...low bidder on clutch plates, apparently.

/ Dodge and Cummins No More???? #6  
... but realize that most Dodge loyal only buy their trucks for the Cummins engine. If Cummins diesels were pulled from Dodge trucks, their sales would fall 50% overnight.

I can't tell you how many times I have read on this forum as well as others the statement "I suffer with the Dodge truck because of the great Cummins engine." I agree with Builder, the damage done to the sales department of Dodge trucks is almost unimaginable.

/ Dodge and Cummins No More???? #7  
When Dodge gets taken over by FIAT, they will want to exercise their european/Italian influence over them. They would probably love to install IVECO diesels in them, but realize that most Dodge loyal only buy their trucks for the Cummins engine. If Cummins diesels were pulled from Dodge trucks, their sales would fall 50% overnight.

When FIAT bought out Case/NH, the first thing they did was dump Cummins4BT's from their backhoes and start installing IVECO diesels in them. Carraro axles and other Italian parts are increasing in numbers on CASE backhoes. I would think that FIAT will want to do same with Dodge trucks in the future, but I don't know if there's a good match from the Iveco diesel engine lineup for an American pickup. Of course if they did it, it would be the end of Dodge trucks as we know them, so I don't think it makes financial sense.

Interesting... Maybe some (American) folk who have experienced the Iveco powered hoes would WANT an Iveco powered pick up ?
OTOH, maybe the days of the prototypical "American Pick Up" are in any case numbered ?
On yet a third hand; Maybe it is just a part of the emergence from bankruptcy process that all contracts are terminated and they start with a "clean sheet" ?

Rumors ?
Consider the source.

/ Dodge and Cummins No More???? #8  
Personally I never cared for the cummins diesel, of course that was in a tractor trailer. Cat would stomp all over a cummins Cat was built a lot better, atleast at the time{1990's}. As far as Dodge losing sales, well time will tell, but ya never know something better might come?????????

/ Dodge and Cummins No More????
While I agree the Cummins loss will hurt some sales but then again it might help? I think the damage has been done too Dodge and GM and those who will seek another brand will, the loyal will stay.

Look at GM's diesel history. They had a Detroit Made Diesel that was barely adequate but by no means a great engine. They then perused a foreign company, Isuzu, and got the Dmax. It help their diesel sales 1000's of times over. Maybe this will be a good thing for Dodge and I am sure the Cummins engine may land somewhere else if all goes south.

Chris

/ Dodge and Cummins No More???? #10  
Well, that's less dire than the rumor I had heard, which was Fiat was cancelling the Ram line of trucks altogether. Don't remember where I heard it, though, so I can't cite the source.