Hitch Balls

/ Hitch Balls #1  

Iowachild

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320HST
Last week-end I picked a pintle hitch for $20.00 at a contractor's going out of business sale. It is the type that can be used as either pintle or ball hitch. The hitch came with a 2'' ball, which I can use, but I really wanted it to put a 2 5/16" ball on it. Now here is the unusual part. When I removed the ball to measure the diameter and length, I found the shaft diameter to be 1 1/8".:eek: (Yes I verfied it with caliphers!) Has anyone ever seen a 2 5/16" ball with a 1 1/8" shaft. I can only find either 1" or 1 1/4". The mount is rated at 8 tons and is meaty enough I could drill it for 1 1/4", but I prefer to exhaust the option of finding one with the 1 1/8" shaft before I drill. Thanks for replies.

Attachments

• pintle.jpg
    pintle.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 66
  • pintle_mount.jpg
    pintle_mount.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 61
   / Hitch Balls #2  
Many times a sleeve is used to adapt a ball to a larger hole. I think I'd do that before I tried to drill it out.

/ Hitch Balls
   / Hitch Balls #5  
Its too bad the ball will cost you more than you paid for the whole thing, but you got a deal;)
I have no idea why the pintle/ball combos are a weird size...mine is all one piece but it appears to be 1 1/8 also, and I paid like $100 for it new!

Attachments

• pintle.gif
    pintle.gif
    12.8 KB · Views: 71
   / Hitch Balls
Its too bad the ball will cost you more than you paid for the whole thing, but you got a deal;)
I have no idea why the pintle/ball combos are a weird size...mine is all one piece but it appears to be 1 1/8 also, and I paid like $100 for it new!
You are right about the price of the ball, but I would still have less than $50 in it so I feel I am ahead of the game.:)