5th Wheel and Gooseneck NOT the same thing.

/ 5th Wheel and Gooseneck NOT the same thing. #1  

wvpolekat

Platinum Member
Tractor
1947 Ford 2N and 2003 Kubota B7500
I just want to clarify this, because it seems that many people here use the 2 terms interchangeably.

5th wheels are used almost exclusively on travel trailers (and semi trucks). Here is an example of a 5th wheel hitch: Reese Pro Series 15K Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch with Universal Installation Kit 30056 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com The trailer has a pivot plate which rests on the hitch and a king ping which is captured by the jaws in the hitch.

Gooseneck hitches have a ball mounted on the tow vehicle and the trailer has a "leg" that extends down in to the bed where it captures the ball. The trailer end looks like this: STANDARD GOOSENECK COUPLERS

Both of them take advantage of putting more of the trailer weight and piviot in the bed of the truck, right over the axle. Generally, they are more stable and can pull higher weights than bumper pulls. They are also much easier to back and can reach much tighter angles.

Typically, a gooseneck will be rated for more weight than a 5th wheel, but I suspect with properly rated parts, either will do the job.

99.9999% of the trailers that have anything to do with tractors are goosenecks. The only exception I can think of would be someone who converted a gooseneck to a fifth wheel because they also had a 5th wheel travel trailer.

While a 5th wheel trailer can be adapted to work with a gooseneck hitch, most people feel that adding that lever to the frame of the 5th wheel trailer is asking for trouble because it is not designed for it.

Yes, I am a bit of a stickler for proper terminology. Nothing more frustrating than shopping for a truck and be told that it is "Setup for your fifth wheel" only to find out it has a gooseneck ball, or vice versa. You would think people in the auto sales industry would know the difference.

/ 5th Wheel and Gooseneck NOT the same thing. #2  
5th Wheel and Gooseneck NOT the same thing.

I noticed the same thing around here lately

/ 5th Wheel and Gooseneck NOT the same thing. #3  
A GN is not rated for more weight than a fifthwheel hitch. Commercial trucks use fifthwheel hitches for a reason, the fifthwheel hitch can carry more weight.

Yes you are correct a GN is not a fifthwheel, they are two different tow hitches for two different applications.

/ 5th Wheel and Gooseneck NOT the same thing. #4  
I personally never understood the reason for both types for guys like us??? I mean why could they just not use GN for everything dealing with a pickup and 5th Wheel for Semi's? If I was to buy a 5th wheel camper the first thing I would do is have it made into a GN. I would not want the big hitch and clutter of a 5th wheel in my truck or even worse, in my garage when I took it out to free up the bed.

I install the B&W flip over hitches, not many, but have done maybe 10 in the last 3 or so years. Its a good setup but still by the time you add the 5th wheel Companion its heavy and cumbersome.

Chris

/ 5th Wheel and Gooseneck NOT the same thing.
I would not want the big hitch and clutter of a 5th wheel in my truck or even worse, in my garage when I took it out to free up the bed.

Hang it from the kingpin on the trailer. Instead of unlatching, pull the pins from the rails and use the landing gear to hoist it.

/ 5th Wheel and Gooseneck NOT the same thing. #6  
I'll pass this on as pure hearsay, but might make some sense?

The gooseneck was used to achieve similar weight / towing characteristics to fifth wheels, without the same legal (licensing) requirements as the same utility / equipment trailers would have with a kingpin. Since goosenecks use a ball hitch, they'd follow traditional trailering laws and not require a class A license (at least in the past) as a fifth wheel hitch would (campers exempt).

Something I recall hearing in the past...... feel free to beat it to death if its way off.

/ 5th Wheel and Gooseneck NOT the same thing. #7  
Hang it from the kingpin on the trailer. Instead of unlatching, pull the pins from the rails and use the landing gear to hoist it.

Getting it lined back up would be a pain and then it would rust being out in the weather. I still really see no reason for a 5th wheel in a pickup application.

Chris

/ 5th Wheel and Gooseneck NOT the same thing. #8  
I'll pass this on as pure hearsay, but might make some sense?

The gooseneck was used to achieve similar weight / towing characteristics to fifth wheels, without the same legal (licensing) requirements as the same utility / equipment trailers would have with a kingpin. Since goosenecks use a ball hitch, they'd follow traditional trailering laws and not require a class A license (at least in the past) as a fifth wheel hitch would (campers exempt).

Something I recall hearing in the past...... feel free to beat it to death if its way off.

An old timer told me that story many moons ago? I guess if you hear the same storie enough it becomes true?
I would say I would rather have a semi if my budget was not a concern but till then I will keep using my gooseneck.

/ 5th Wheel and Gooseneck NOT the same thing.
Getting it lined back up would be a pain and then it would rust being out in the weather. I still really see no reason for a 5th wheel in a pickup application.

Chris

Other than a 5th wheel camper? Putting a gooseneck adapter on on voids your frame warranty in any that I have looked into. I have no idea how valid this is or is not. If I needed both, I could just get a gooseneck plate to go on the rails I have.

Hitch removal is a minor issue either way. The head isn't THAT heavy, more akward. It could easily be hoisted with a simple rope and pulley, or a multitude of other methods. Drop it on a dolly of some sort and roll it into the corner. I don't think mine has been removed from my truck since I installed it. If I need to haul something that it would interfere with, I just bring the trailer. The bigger problem with removing it during the camping season is that getting ready to go becomes work. As for rust, I take the pivot pin out of mine once a year and clean/grease it, the rest of it is powder coated. It will probably be around long after the truck has rusted out from under it. Mine is the second truck this one has been installed in. And, hanging on the kingpin it's no more in the weather than in the truck. Would be easy enough to build a "poncho" for it while hanging there. Although it is a bit of a hazard to kids and people mowing.

Given my choices, weight ratings being the same, I MUCH prefer a 5th wheel hookup to a gooseneck. All you have to do is back up to it and it will latch. You don't have to get the ball within 2" or so on two axis to get hooked up. I am sure it's a matter of practice, but the 5th wheel is dead easy to hook up.

/ 5th Wheel and Gooseneck NOT the same thing. #10  
I guess it comes down to preference. I personally like bumper pulls the best. I had one GN and every time I wanted to haul something with it I also needed the bed so it did not work for me. I agree the 5th wheel is easier to hook up but the way I look at it is if you cant hitch it up being a conventional trailer or GN you probably should not be towing anything at all.

Chris