8,000# x 18' Car Hauler

/ 8,000# x 18' Car Hauler #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
Who makes a good 8,000# x 18' car hauler?

What should something like this cost new?

Will its self weight approach 2,000#?

TIA

Yooper Dave

/ 8,000# x 18' Car Hauler #2  
My 7000 gvwr 18 ft car hauler with a wood deck weighs 2180 all by itself. I would have to say that a trailer of the same dimensions with an additional 1k of GVWR would certainly be well above 2k empty.

For what its worth, my trailer is made by Load Trail. It has served me well and is holding up as well as any $2,000.00 car hauler that I have seen. Keeping a trailer out of the road salt, washing it every now and then, and keeping it greased and the deck sealed go a long way toward making it last.

I have hauled a couple 6k + pickup trucks on my trailer, I don't like to, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I was careful to slow down and take it easy, and not to jack knife it while turning. I am not advocating throwing max pay load ratings to the wind, but it has been my experience that you can on rare occasions exceed the max rating a little bit and be ok, as long as you use good common sense.

/ 8,000# x 18' Car Hauler #3  
Dave,

I am shopping for a new trailer too. Brands are regional, but locally I have liked the looks of Bri-Mar and Cam Super-Line. I will be looking at others.

I have not found any 8k trailers. The 7k units tend to weigh 1900-2200 pounds, and 10k units are 2500+ lbs.

I am seeing prices around $3000 for 7k units, nicely equipped (brakes on both axles, rubber mounted lights, 4 D-rings, etc.) Pricing also seems to be regional, as I see similar trailers listed on the internet in other areas of the country for less.

Good luck with your search. If I see any thing else that will help, I'll let you know.

Will

/ 8,000# x 18' Car Hauler #4  
I have never seen a 8K trailer. The standard axle pairs are 7K 10K 12K 14K.

Chris

/ 8,000# x 18' Car Hauler #5  
I have never seen a 8K trailer. The standard axle pairs are 7K 10K 12K 14K.

Chris

But you can have an uprated trailer.

I am seeing more and more of them that way.

I think they should be that way.

/ 8,000# x 18' Car Hauler #6  
Can't help Dave much since I have not seen any mfg's that make 8K trailers and not familiar with trailers dealers / brands in his area. Price depends on if there is a trailer mfg. in your state. If not local dealers add shipping costs to the price to have them brought in. Like Chris said standard axle pairs are 7,10,12, & 14K but I have seen 10K trailers de rated to 8K.

For Will C I can only suggest buying a trailer in another state. When I was looking for a trailer in Upstate NY I found trailers here overpriced. Mainly it is because most aren't built here and dealers here must add shipping costs to the prices. I got a much better deal buying a trailer made by H&H from a dealer in PA and picking it up myself. I saved about 1500 buy doing so and that included the cost of my trip to get it.

As said, most trailers in the 7K range weigh about 2K or more unless made of aluminum. My 7K weighs about 2400 but it is an electric hydraulic tilt bed. A basic 7K steel trailer with ramps will weigh about 2K.

/ 8,000# x 18' Car Hauler #7  
As said, most trailers in the 7K range weigh about 2K or more unless made of aluminum. My 7K weighs about 2400 but it is an electric hydraulic tilt bed. A basic 7K steel trailer with ramps will weigh about 2K.
I'm looking for a 7000 18'' tilt hyd bed .
What ya think somethin like that would run from where you got yours.?

/ 8,000# x 18' Car Hauler #8  
big tex's website is full of good info for an idea of what a decent trailer will weigh empty.

for example

70CH 83"x18' 7000K (GVWR) is 2000#
10ET 83"x18' 9980K (GVWR) is 2460# (with attached ramps)

the lightweight (angle iron) utility trailer in 16' (with 16" sides) is 6K GVWR and 1610#

/ 8,000# x 18' Car Hauler #9  
But you can have an uprated trailer.

I am seeing more and more of them that way.

I think they should be that way.

Could you explain what you mean by uprated? I could see downrating (derating?) a trailer, ie put 10k lb running gear on it and call it 8k, but uprated?
I've never seen an 8k rated trailer either....

/ 8,000# x 18' Car Hauler #10  
Could you explain what you mean by uprated? I could see downrating (derating?) a trailer, ie put 10k lb running gear on it and call it 8k, but uprated?
I've never seen an 8k rated trailer either....

I am with you on this one. Most of the components would not take the weight like the brakes, bearings, and epically the tires. I know, we all over load from time to time, but there is a factor built into everything for the occasional brain fart but doing it on a daily basis will lead to failures.

De rating is common but up rating is not advisable. It would set the manufacture up for a slew of law suits.

Chris