Gatormade trailers still gets C grade

/ Gatormade trailers still gets C grade #41  
I have seen the same junk in many different brands. Its just a fact in the industry. It would be nice if there were a set of standards but none that I know of. If it were up to me all wires would be soldered and heat shrunk plus it would be ran in plastic conduit with junction boxes at all fixtures.

Chris

I don't own a trailer; but I read the threads on them for when the time comes to buy one I will be more informed.

Chris, do I understand correctly that the trailer manufacturing industry has few standards beyond dimensional sizing for couplers, coupler heights, conspicuity tape and lights?

With all the safety standards the Gummint has shoved down the car & truck manufacturers throats, I would think that there would be a more complete set of standards for trailer manufacturers. After all, a shoddy trailer can cause a deadly wreck. To me the trailer should be painted top and bottom, high quality wiring (especially for the brakes), new tires & wheels, etc.

I understand about money being tight (one reason I don't own a trailer); but let's say you have a $50k pickup hauling a $30k tractor and the $3k trailer pukes causing a wreck...well I think I've made my point about being penny wise and dollar foolish.

Mind you I'm not advocating for Gummint meddling; but a decent set of standards would be nice so there aren't so many third-world quality rigs on the highway.

/ Gatormade trailers still gets C grade #42  
Yes, you have it right. There are no standards set forth. Its a shame Gator Made has fallen off. We have sold a few of the trailers they made and I would put them up there in the top 10%. If anything, I would like to see a set of standards put forth by a orginazation of major trailer manufactures then give other manufactures a stamp of approval.

Chris

/ Gatormade trailers still gets C grade #43  
I don't own a trailer; but I read the threads on them for when the time comes to buy one I will be more informed.

Chris, do I understand correctly that the trailer manufacturing industry has few standards beyond dimensional sizing for couplers, coupler heights, conspicuity tape and lights?

With all the safety standards the Gummint has shoved down the car & truck manufacturers throats, I would think that there would be a more complete set of standards for trailer manufacturers. After all, a shoddy trailer can cause a deadly wreck. To me the trailer should be painted top and bottom, high quality wiring (especially for the brakes), new tires & wheels, etc.

I understand about money being tight (one reason I don't own a trailer); but let's say you have a $50k pickup hauling a $30k tractor and the $3k trailer pukes causing a wreck...well I think I've made my point about being penny wise and dollar foolish.

Mind you I'm not advocating for Gummint meddling; but a decent set of standards would be nice so there aren't so many third-world quality rigs on the highway.

In my state, we have vehicle safety inspections to hopefully catch trailer lights or brakes that aren't functioning properly. That helps cut back on the incidents you mentioned above. That wouldn't help the buyer from buying a poorly made trailer, but by the time the first inspection rolls around, if any of the wiring fails, it would have to be fixed to pass inspection. I find most cheap wiring jobs on trailers quickly get rewired.

When I have a body put on a truck or any type of wiring done, I tell the installer that I won't accept any scotch locks. All wiring must be installed with heat shrink connectors and all wiring must be in loom with no exposed wiring.

I bought a few used trailers & dumptrucks and could not believe how poorly they were wired. Usually takes me a weekend and about $30 worth of connectors, wire & loom to get it all straightened out.

/ Gatormade trailers still gets C grade #44  
In my state, we have vehicle safety inspections to hopefully catch trailer lights or brakes that aren't functioning properly. That helps cut back on the incidents you mentioned above. That wouldn't help the buyer from buying a poorly made trailer, but by the time the first inspection rolls around, if any of the wiring fails, it would have to be fixed to pass inspection. I find most cheap wiring jobs on trailers quickly get rewired.

When I have a body put on a truck or any type of wiring done, I tell the installer that I won't accept any scotch locks. All wiring must be installed with heat shrink connectors and all wiring must be in loom with no exposed wiring.

I bought a few used trailers & dumptrucks and could not believe how poorly they were wired. Usually takes me a weekend and about $30 worth of connectors, wire & loom to get it all straightened out.

I wish my state had inspections... If it did there would be A LOT of trailers off the road, and it would be much safer.

In Kentucky, they don't have inspections for vehicles, and there is a lot of junk running around on the roads, and some loud junk without mufflers.

I don't like the 'scotch locks' either... I have seen people use them on wiring and it will cut through the wires.

/ Gatormade trailers still gets C grade #45  
My neighbor just picked up a car hauler at the mfg. plant this week. It is looks nice and he is very happy with it. They sold it to him for less than $1600 out the door. That is about $600 less than most other brands that I see. I think that means something. I suspect money must be tight. I would not be suprised if corners are being cut.

/ Gatormade trailers still gets C grade #46  
   / Gatormade trailers still gets C grade #47  

Hey, you are dealing with KENTUCKY!:p

Just poking fun, love the state, especially its lakes.

Chris

/ Gatormade trailers still gets C grade #48  
My neighbor just picked up a car hauler at the mfg. plant this week. It is looks nice and he is very happy with it. They sold it to him for less than $1600 out the door. That is about $600 less than most other brands that I see. I think that means something. I suspect money must be tight. I would not be suprised if corners are being cut.

What length is it ?

/ Gatormade trailers still gets C grade #49  
   / Gatormade trailers still gets C grade #50  

Corners are being cut, but it's mostly the economy that is lowering the prices of equipment.

Sales of equipment are terrible. Guys, this is a fantastic time to buy equipment. I can't believe the buys out there on equipment. If you ever wanted something AG/Ind/Commercial, THIS IS THE TIME to buy!

I have a big construction job very close to signing, if it comes in, I will be purchasing.