Gatormade trailers still gets C grade

/ Gatormade trailers still gets C grade #1  

Newblue

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA SS
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/144663-gatormade.html

I drive down to Sommerset yesterday with the defective gooseneck in tow to get the replacement trailer. I was told by the gentleman that handles the warranty claims that "if it passes my inspection it will pass yours". This was not the case. The only thing that was corrected on the new trailer was the underside was painted. The spare was still backwards, the jack handle still hit the light, and scotch locks were used as butt connectors. I did not want the new trailer because the one side rail was bowed in and one was bowed out. It looked like it was hit in the middle. I'm sure it would drive straight but it looked bad. They offered to take the one I brought down and move the light while I went to lunch so I asked them to paint the underside while I was there and they said no but offered to give me the paint to paint it myself. I said OK and went to lunch but thought about it while at lunch and decided I should not have paint an entire underside on a new trailer. I called the warranty gentleman and told him I did not want to paint a new trailer. I then asked if any others were on the lot and he did not know. I went back to the factory and looked on the lot and there were two more like mine. One did not have paint on the bottom and the other the jacks had a problem in the top end where it was very notchy and was hard to turn. The salesman (not the one I bought it from) asked what can they do for me. I first asked to upgrade to a 22K unit that was correct. They would not do that because of price difference - OK, how about fixing the trailer I brought down and deliver it to me. The salesman did not have the authority to say yes or no so I asked to talk to the owner but was told he and the manager were not there for the rest of the day. I said how about this - I take home this trailer with the messed up jacks and Gatormade send me the parts to fix it. The salesman agreed to that. So I have a trailer that the jack handle hits the step light, spare tire with the valve stem against the neck, scotch locks, and messed up jacks. I was told that the spares were never mounted with the valve stem facing out and this morning on their ebay store I found a pic of the spare tire mounted with the valve stem facing out. Burned $150 in fuel and wasted a v-day for a trailer I still have to fix.

Thanks for letting me vent,
Mike

/ Gatormade trailers still gets C grade #2  
I would not have left. I would have stayed until the owner of the police showed up and made me leave. File a complaint with the BBB. I would demand $500 refund for my time, fuel, and having to finish the job they started and doing things right.

Chris

/ Gatormade trailers still gets C grade
Thanks Chris, I was there for four hours (1 for lunch) waiting for them to do something. Had another four hour drive home and go to work the next day. I think I will file a complaint with the BBB. With your trailer expertise, would you happen to know any tips for replacing the top end on 12K lb jacks?

Thanks again,
Mike

/ Gatormade trailers still gets C grade #4  
I think you should take the trailer back and tell these losers to fix it or get ready for a letter from your lawyer. That's bullcrap and you should not have to stand for this.

I would recomment that you do not touch or alter that trailer in any way, or you will have "accepted" their deal with you and you may have no recourse.

Where did you find out, or who recommended "Gatormade" trailers to you anyway?

We should definately make sure that we warn others who are on this website their trailers are not recommended.

/ Gatormade trailers still gets C grade #5  
Thanks Chris, I was there for four hours (1 for lunch) waiting for them to do something. Had another four hour drive home and go to work the next day. I think I will file a complaint with the BBB. With your trailer expertise, would you happen to know any tips for replacing the top end on 12K lb jacks?

Thanks again,
Mike

Never messed with a 12K jack. The trailers I deal with are 90% boat trailers and the rest are bumper pull trailers. I have only owned 1 GN in 25 years and never had to do anything to the jack. If I remember right it had a Zerk on it and I just gave it 10 pumps of grease about once a year and called it good.

I would write a letter to the owner and deal with him directly from now on.

I have bought a sold Gator Made Trailers for years but have not done so in the last 2 or so years. All have been very good quality and gave good service. My guess is they are a victim of the economy and are now trying to skimp. I will say that the Scotch Lock thing is very common and just a sad reality of the trailer industry. I can not think of a trailer I have ever owned that I have not had to fix the wiring at some point or another, and I have probably had over 25 trailers that I have actually owned in the last 20 or so years.

Chris

I think you should take the trailer back and tell these losers to fix it or get ready for a letter from your lawyer. That's bullcrap and you should not have to stand for this.

I would recomment that you do not touch or alter that trailer in any way, or you will have "accepted" their deal with you and you may have no recourse.

Where did you find out, or who recommended "Gatormade" trailers to you anyway?

We should definately make sure that we warn others who are on this website their trailers are not recommended.

I believe I read past reviews on here about Gatormade trailers. Also the description on their website looked pretty good "trailer is primed and painted complete top and bottom".

Never messed with a 12K jack. The trailers I deal with are 90% boat trailers and the rest are bumper pull trailers. I have only owned 1 GN in 25 years and never had to do anything to the jack. If I remember right it had a Zerk on it and I just gave it 10 pumps of grease about once a year and called it good.

I would write a letter to the owner and deal with him directly from now on.

I have bought a sold Gator Made Trailers for years but have not done so in the last 2 or so years. All have been very good quality and gave good service. My guess is they are a victim of the economy and are now trying to skimp. I will say that the Scotch Lock thing is very common and just a sad reality of the trailer industry. I can not think of a trailer I have ever owned that I have not had to fix the wiring at some point or another, and I have probably had over 25 trailers that I have actually owned in the last 20 or so years.

Chris

I wish I could find the owner of Gatormade. I have no number or address.

/ Gatormade trailers still gets C grade #8  

I wouldn't go that far. I just bought a new Gatormade 16+2 bumper pull in January. I would give it an A+. It is a 7k trailer with what in reality is a 10k lb frame. Everything on it works and works well. The underside is painted as well. It has gotten scratched up a little bit from using it already and there is some rust on those spots, but that is what trailers are made for. I will sand and repaint those spots before winter.

Sent this morning to the salesman that helped me out:

Zyndall,
Thank you for helping me out yesterday and being my
contact with the higher powers. I was told that the spare tire was never
mounted with the valve stem facing out. This picture from the Gatormade ebay
store clearly shows the tire mounted with the valve stem facing out. Please
forward this to the owner of Gatormade trailers and see if he or she can
call me so this can be resolved.

Thanks,
Mike Bledsoe

This is the response:

Hey,

I talked to management about this and it is something we have done in the
past.

Sorry this is all he will allow any of us do. Warranty management has been
told to ship the jack parts.

Zyndall

Last edited:
   / Gatormade trailers still gets C grade #10  
Call the Somerset Ky Chamber of Commerce and they should be able to give you some info. When you get ahold of the owner let him know his company is getting a bad name.

Somerset Chamber of Commerce
445 S Highway 27
Somerset, KY 42501-3445
(606) 679-7323

Chris