Trailer Brake Help Needed!

/ Trailer Brake Help Needed! #11  
remember to spin the wheel when you power the electromagnets .. might just be cheaper to get the existing single axle brakes working and see how well it pulls.

soundguy

/ Trailer Brake Help Needed! #13  
Were there any axles/tires that looked like mobile home style axles? It doesn't seem to me like Hudson would have used those axles on one of their trailer, even an old one. I guess they could have been changed out by someone after being sold.

/ Trailer Brake Help Needed! #14  
Mobil home STYLE axles/tires are ok, however Mobil home axles/tires (which are marked as such) are generally not legal to use on a trailer.

Aaron Z

/ Trailer Brake Help Needed! #15  
Mobil home STYLE axles/tires are ok, however Mobil home axles/tires (which are marked as such) are generally not legal to use on a trailer.

Aaron Z

MH axles are not allowed in Indiana but everyone does it and gets away with it. I am sure it will only be a problem if there is a incident.

Chris

/ Trailer Brake Help Needed! #16  
Were there any axles/tires that looked like mobile home style axles? It doesn't seem to me like Hudson would have used those axles on one of their trailer, even an old one. I guess they could have been changed out by someone after being sold.

Yes, UTG (utility trailer grade) were very popular and tires are available up to 12 ply and load range G. They require a tad more maintenance (more frequent torquing) just like rim clamp style wheels on heavy equipment.

/ Trailer Brake Help Needed! #17  
My question is what do I need to get working brakes on both axels? The rear axel has a flange that the front axel doesn稚 have, but it doesn稚 look like a normal four-hole flange you see on most axels. Can brakes be installed on both axels and what would it take. I've attached some pictures that hopefully will help to see what I'm working with. Thanks in advance for any help.

:confused:

Get the casting info off of the front drums and look for info on the axle tubes themselves. Depending on who made them (Dexter, etc.) there are complete rebuild kits and upgrade kits available.

/ Trailer Brake Help Needed! #18  
Getting to this thread late.

You've got the big brother to my 1982 Hudson Trailer. They are built very, very well. Mine is the same situation with the axles. Front one braked with welded on brake backing plates. These axles are Dexters but I could not get the exact same shoe that is used on these MH axles.

Hudson Trailer is still in business and located in Indian Hill, NC, so yours is not far from home. You might be able to get upgraded axles direct from them.

http://www.hudsontrailers.com

Over the years I've repainted mine twice, new lights, new wiring and two decks. This trailer will not rust away like some of the new ones.

Attachments

• With Trailer2.jpg
    With Trailer2.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
   / Trailer Brake Help Needed! #19  
Getting to this thread late.

You've got the big brother to my 1982 Hudson Trailer. They are built very, very well. My is the same situation with the axles. Front one braked with welded on brake backing plates. These axles are Dexters but I could not get the exact same shoe that is used on the MH axles.

Hudson Trailer is still in business and located in Indian Hill, NC, so it's not far from home. You might be able to get upgraded axles direct from them.

Equipment trailers, flat bed trailers, deckover trailers, skid steer trailers, utility trailers, tilt trailers, auto hauler trailer, Hudson Bros Trailer Mfg

Over the years I've repainted mine twice, new lights, new wiring and two decks. This trailer will not rust away like some of the new ones.

You have done a nice Job redoing the trailer. It looks like a new one or better. You should be proud of it.

Chris

/ Trailer Brake Help Needed! #20  
Thanks Chris.

Picture is a partial of the trailer but the only one I have since I was trying to show someone over at TheDieselStop how I have my backup lights set up for both the truck and trailer.

Most people are quite surprised when they find out what year it is. But now it does need another repaint as the paint has a hard time holding to the primer in spots.