Ford 460 Starter

/ Ford 460 Starter #1  

RobS

Tractor
None!
So, how bad is the starter R&R in a '97 F250HD 4X4 w/ stick? Was at scout camp all week and it just clicked. Thought it was battery, but jump didn't help. Friendly tap on the starter by a friendly scouter worked. Same story in my driveway. Looks pretty straightforward, just looking for "watch-out-fors" ahead of time.

TIA

/ Ford 460 Starter #2  
Never changed one on my 7.3 I had but it looked like a simple job also. The main thing to remember is use rubber wrenches :D:D:D or disconnect the batteries before starting. Preferably disconnect the batteries.

Chris

/ Ford 460 Starter #3  
Two mount bolts, solonoid nuts...not hard. Disconnect battery.

/ Ford 460 Starter
It's off, piece of cake. Replacement will be in in 1/2 hour, leaving with core now. Thanks everyone. Oh yeah, you did say battery disconnected, didn't you :eek:

/ Ford 460 Starter #5  
RobS

I have a 460 in my 90 E-350 box van that I used for landscaping, and I always carried a spare starter. I have changed them out in customers driveways, besides the road and elsewhere. The wear and tear came from starting the engine about 10 to 12 times a day each week day for a very long time. Not to bad a job replacing the starter, if it was not hot. Now, that starter on the F-250, 7.3 diesel, is a bear laying on the ground and trying to hold that starter with one hand, and connecting the bolts. A lot of bad words were said that day. I don't want to do that again.

Last edited:
   / Ford 460 Starter
Well, hopefully I won't have to carry a spare. 12 years and 165,000 isn't too bad I guess. The replacement went in just as easily as the old one came out and she fired right up! Life is good again...