F250 7.3 PSD towing 10,000 lbs tractor?

/ F250 7.3 PSD towing 10,000 lbs tractor? #11  
All good advise. Like the others have said check the width of the tractor. You may need a deck over style trailer. Just remember that this tractor on a trailer is going to weigh double your 7,000# boat so its quite a load. I do disagree with the 3,500# or heavier you need a GN statement. You can safely tow a 7,000# tractor on a 2,500# trailer and still have a safe rig if set up properly.

I would definitely look into the Tranny drain/flush and a larger pan and cooler. The cooler is cheap, maybe $100 and it alone will be money well spent. The pan may not be so bad either but you go adding a tranny gauge it will get expensive but money well spent if you plan on keeping this truck for some time. I loved my 99 F-350 4x4. It was a auto and never had any trouble. Just changed the tranny fluid every 25,000 miles. It was totaled out by a deer last November.:mad:

Chris

/ F250 7.3 PSD towing 10,000 lbs tractor? #12  
All good advise. Like the others have said check the width of the tractor. You may need a deck over style trailer. Just remember that this tractor on a trailer is going to weigh double your 7,000# boat so its quite a load. I do disagree with the 3,500# or heavier you need a GN statement. You can safely tow a 7,000# tractor on a 2,500# trailer and still have a safe rig if set up properly.

I would definitely look into the Tranny drain/flush and a larger pan and cooler. The cooler is cheap, maybe $100 and it alone will be money well spent. The pan may not be so bad either but you go adding a tranny gauge it will get expensive but money well spent if you plan on keeping this truck for some time. I loved my 99 F-350 4x4. It was a auto and never had any trouble. Just changed the tranny fluid every 25,000 miles. It was totaled out by a deer last November.:mad:

Chris

Tranny temp gauge in a single pod would only run about $120. The information is priceless. Backing up your heavy trailer or running TC unlocked is where you'll really see some toasty temps on the 4R100.

Might as well get an EGT (pyro) gauge, too. Just get a dual gauge pod an put an EGT and tranny temp guage on it and you can tow knowing if you're running your 7.3 or 4R100 too hot before it's too late and then you have a BIG repair bill.

/ F250 7.3 PSD towing 10,000 lbs tractor? #13  
I'm about to purchase a MF 650 tractor that weighs about 10,000 lbs?
I'm wondering if my stock F250 7.3 PSD can tow it. (just once in a while)

Probably. But eventually your drive train will pay the price.

Getting it going is one thing--getting it stopped in a hurry is a much more hairy problem.

I would get a 1 ton flatbed truck with dual rear wheels and, just to be on the safe side, a 22-24-ft gooseneck deckover trailer with dual 10K axles and electric brakes on both axles.

/ F250 7.3 PSD towing 10,000 lbs tractor? #14  
You have received a lot of really good advice here.

I had a 1997 F250 7.3L extended cab 4x4. I also have a conventional pull tilt bed trailer and a 10,500 lb tractor. I will absolutely confirm that the combination is too much for a F250, especially on hilly and twisty roads. I think you would be OK with a gooseneck. Keep your brakes in excellent condition and keep your speed down. Your trailer will be 2X your truck weight and it can get pushy in emergency situations.

I stepped up to a 2008 F350 Dually Crew 4x4 with the 2.5" receiver. I added the Reese Titan Straight Line Hitch set-up. It pulls like a dream. The transmission and brakes ae night and day better than my 1997 and the duals really adds stability.

Regarding the trailer. Would I prefer a gooseneck? Absolutely. Do I love my tilt-bed? Absolutely. Nothing I would like more than a gooseneck deck-over tilt bed trailer, but I just can not justify $8k for my needs.

/ F250 7.3 PSD towing 10,000 lbs tractor?
Thanks, guys. Great info but it means that my truck is in no shape to handle the tractor. Luckily, the tractor will be permanently on my property.
I was hoping that I can ocassionally tow it here and there but I guess not. :eek:

/ F250 7.3 PSD towing 10,000 lbs tractor? #17  
Thanks, guys. Great info but it means that my truck is in no shape to handle the tractor. Luckily, the tractor will be permanently on my property.
I was hoping that I can ocassionally tow it here and there but I guess not. :eek:

There is no reason you can't tow that tractor, especially if you use a GN.

I tow in that weight range on a weekly bases.

/ F250 7.3 PSD towing 10,000 lbs tractor? #18  
I do it all the time. In pics below both machines are in the 5000 to 5500 lb range. Sorry, that's all the pics I have. When I move my T190 with a spare bucket, or take the grapple, I'm close to the 9000 lbs range. Before I bought my T190 I rented a Takeuchi TL150 that weighted over 10,000 lbs., truck / trailer handled it with no problems. I have also moved a Takeuchi TB145 mini ex that weighted around 11,000 lbs. You definitely know they are back there. Allow some extra distance for stopping.

Truck 1999 F-250 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel auto trans 4x4 ext cab long bed. Michelin load range "E" tires.

Trailer is a North Alabama 20 + 5 gooseneck with 7k axles, electric brakes on both

Attachments

• DSC01409.JPG
    DSC01409.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 1,933
  • DSC01559.JPG
    DSC01559.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 2,549
   / F250 7.3 PSD towing 10,000 lbs tractor? #19  
I do it all the time. In pics below both machines are in the 5000 to 5500 lb range. Sorry, that's all the pics I have. When I move my T190 with a spare bucket, or take the grapple, I'm close to the 9000 lbs range. Before I bought my T190 I rented a Takeuchi TL150 that weighted over 10,000 lbs., truck / trailer handled it with no problems. I have also moved a Takeuchi TB145 mini ex that weighted around 11,000 lbs. You definitely know they are back there. Allow some extra distance for stopping.

Truck 1999 F-250 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel auto trans 4x4 ext cab long bed. Michelin load range "E" tires.

Trailer is a North Alabama 20 + 5 gooseneck with 7k axles, electric brakes on both

There is no reason you can't tow that tractor, especially if you use a GN.

I tow in that weight range on a weekly bases.
Great, but the OP said he doesn't want to install a 5th wheel here in post #4:

"I really don't want to install a 5th wheel"

I also don't know if there's limitations to a gooseneck and a 6.5' bed.

/ F250 7.3 PSD towing 10,000 lbs tractor?
It's not that I don't want a 5th wheel or a gooseneck. If I have to spend a lot oh money, it needs to go to the boss first. :)

But I do like the gooseneck though.