Combo Trailer/Receiver Locks

/ Combo Trailer/Receiver Locks #1  

tld

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2025r
I have seen some combo trailer/receiver locks from Reese and Master. Are these any good or just a sales pitch. I have a landscape type trailer.

/ Combo Trailer/Receiver Locks #2  
Can not see how it will hurt. My feeling on locks is if they want it they will get it so locks really do not do any good. Just my $.02.

Also be careful and take it off periodically and grease it. My dad left his on his hitch for 2 years and we had to cut it off with a Sawz All.

Chris

/ Combo Trailer/Receiver Locks #3  
I use the combo locks that are the 5/8 pin to retain the drawbar.
I feel they definitely stop the impulse grab and go theft. Sure if someone has time and will power they could defeat it...

BTW I've heard of pranksters taking the pin so your trailer comes off the truck somewhere down the road...they help prevent that too.

/ Combo Trailer/Receiver Locks #4  
I used this kind when I was RVing. I agree with Diamondpilot that if a determined thief wants to defeat it, he will, but it'll take him a little time and discourage amateurs. The lock also made sure the hitch stayed latched in transit.

/ Combo Trailer/Receiver Locks #5  
I use these. Master Lock Coupler Latch Lock - Marine Accessories - Bass Pro Shops

It would be hard for a thief to use a hacksaw to cut them off, but they might with a power saw.

The way my Reese hitches are. It would be very hard to cut off the lock for the receiver, because there isn't no room to use a saw.. But I guess a thief could pack around O/A and cutting torches.

I put 3-in-1 oil on mine and I've never had a problem getting mine off.

/ Combo Trailer/Receiver Locks #6  
When I was looking for trailer locks I came across a YouTube video of a guy picking a Master trailer lock. It took less than a minute, I think. No hacksaw or O/A needed and helpful tutors on the web:(

/ Combo Trailer/Receiver Locks #9  
a lock is only good to make the thief decise there is easier prey.

It would be nice to only have to deal with 1 key for everything.