Mustang Gooseneck Trailer?

/ Mustang Gooseneck Trailer? #1  

Chris611

Guys, I am in the market for a deck over goosenenck trailer. I am going to use it to pull an 8500 lb pulling truck. I found an 18' + 5' beavertail, flip up ramps, tandem axle (7000 lb each w/brakes). Its a 1997 Mustang gooneneck. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Guy wants $3500 for it. I see on ebay Gator trailers has one similar for $4995. Is $3500 too much for a 10+ year old trailer? I sure don't seem may for cheaper around the midwest. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

/ Mustang Gooseneck Trailer? #2  
The price is probably a little high. Offer him $3,000. That said make sure it has not cracks, the tires are good, the board are good, good brakes, and all the electrics work. If any of these items are suspect I would walk. You can get into tons of $$$$ fixing them and be at the price or over for a new trailer.

Where are you located at? Maybe we can point you in the direction of some good dealers/builders.

Chris

/ Mustang Gooseneck Trailer?
I'm in Central Iowa.

/ Mustang Gooseneck Trailer? #4  
If you do not mind taking a long day driving trip the trailer capitol of the midwest is Sikston MO. You can not beat the prices. The trailers are good but the fit and finish is not up to par with larger companies like Bri Mar and PJ but they are a very good bang for your buck. I have bought a few of the trailers and been very happy. Here is a pic of my 18' 7K trailer. Its a Jerry James and is a 2003 and zero issues other than replacing the tires and fixing a few lose wires over time. I have called and asked a few questions over time like about the brakes and lug pattern and you get someone on the phone who knows what they are talking about.

Welcome to Jerry James Trailers

here is mine:

Chris

Attachments

• trailer.JPG
    trailer.JPG
    497.6 KB · Views: 1,305
   / Mustang Gooseneck Trailer? #5  
Never offer what a person is asking.

Yes the trailer is 10 years old, but what is the condition. How are the tires, how about the deck, was it stored inside or outside, and of course as previously mentioned, check for weld or stress cracks. Look for areas that may have been recently painted. They just might be hiding something. Most people are honest, but unfortunately, not everyone!

Just my thoughts.