Flatbed with Torque Tube

/ Flatbed with Torque Tube #1  

Believer

Silver Member
I'm looking for a gooseneck tandem dual flatbed. I've come across a Becker low profile and it has what they call a torque tube down the center. Does anyone have experience as to how useful or effective a torque tube is? It's supposed to reduce twisting of the frame but I didn't realize that was a problem on regular frames. Maybe it's something to make a lighter weight frame work like a heavier frame without it. Does anyone have any knowledge of the quality of the Becker trailers? Thanks.

/ Flatbed with Torque Tube #2  
We used to put two 100x100x4mm torque tubes between the spring hangers on air suspended trailers. The most torsionally rigid trailer we've built, was indeed a electgro hydraulically steered two axle lowbed, with a central tube chassis of 400x200x8mm tube. In Europe all heavy equipment trailers are built from a welded box section.

/ Flatbed with Torque Tube #3  
I'm looking for a gooseneck tandem dual flatbed. I've come across a Becker low profile and it has what they call a torque tube down the center. Does anyone have experience as to how useful or effective a torque tube is? It's supposed to reduce twisting of the frame but I didn't realize that was a problem on regular frames. Maybe it's something to make a lighter weight frame work like a heavier frame without it. Does anyone have any knowledge of the quality of the Becker trailers? Thanks.

Interesting.
Don't know about torque tubeson GNs, but the 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF tractor that I'm presently restoring has a torque tube setup between the clutch housing and the transmission case.

DSCF0067 (Small).JPG

DSCF0038 (Small).JPG

DSCF0139 (Small).JPG

DSCF0181 (Small).JPG

This tractor is laid out engine-clutch-drive shaft-tranny-rear end. The drive shaft goes through the torque tube.

The torque tube is a stiffener that keeps the two main support rails (C-channel) of the tractor from twisting due to engine torque. I suspect that the torque tube(s) on that GN you're looking at have a similar function (preventing the frame from twisting).

/ Flatbed with Torque Tube #4  
I don't own a trailer with a torque tube, but they work like a sway bar on a car by reducing the roll of the trailer in turns. Good to have if you haul tall heavy loads.