Towing Package, tow ready?

/ Towing Package, tow ready? #1  

patrick_g

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L-4610HSTC
So, you lay down your $ and buy a new truck with an OEM towing package. You get a good stout (but not amazingly so) receiver hitch, a built in electronic brake controller, a couple styles of sockets to let you plug the trailer plug into the truck as well as engine stuff like tranny coolers etc.

You then plug in your new dump trailer and SHAZAM! all the lights work correctly: turn signals, running lights, clearance lights, stop and tail lights...

Ahh, isn't life grand? Then you notice that the battery running the hydraulic pump for dumping the trailer is not doing too good. A little trouble shooting and you find that the pin in the trailer connector that is proclaimed to be 12 volts (charge line to trailer battery) is in fact dead as a doornail. Further investigtation and phone call to the dealership reveals that the vehicles are supplied without a relay and fuse that you have to buy to plug into a fuse block to get the 12 volts out the trailer connector.

There is a schematic diagram on the dust cover/lid to the connectors showing which pins are for which lights and which is for 12 volts but the 12 volts is NOT THERE. So the MFG saves a buck by not really making the truck ready for towing and you are inconvenienced by a dead battery which should have been charging off the trucks alternator.

Is mine an isolated incident or is this the NORMAL state of affairs? I'd have appreciated it if they would have at least reminded me when we were specking out a truck WITH TOWING PACKAGE that the towing package was incomplete and you were responsible for buying a couple parts and installing them yourself. I think this situation SUCKS!

Pat

/ Towing Package, tow ready? #2  
Back in the last century I also bought a truck with a tow package. All that added was some coolers with a garanteed to fail fitting and no fog lights as there wasn't room for them.

The hitch was added later as well as wiring for the Canopy, trailer, and camper and the brake controller.:D

/ Towing Package, tow ready?
Egon, Quite a different situation from mine. My truck came with a built into the dash brake controller and installed and wired trailer socket to plug into. The plug in works great as I mentioned EXCEPT for not supplying 12 volts where the schematic on the socket dust cover says it does. To get the 12 volts DC you are supposed to buy a relay and a fuse and have them installed in a fuse block.

I was told the truck was TOW READY. Apparently the truck was a partially assembled "KIT" that the owner is responsible for finishing by buying additional parts from the dealership and having them installed.

I would have felt better on the honesty and integrity issues if they had at least told me I needed to add the parts to make it work instead of letting silence serve them better. Given the price of a truck what percent would a relay and fuse constitute? What next, schrader valves so the spare will hold air? Fuel cap as an additional cost accessory?

Pat

/ Towing Package, tow ready? #4  
Pat, this is the norm. At least it is for GM. I believe Ford is the same. Don't know about Dodge, nobody buys them.:D When I first bought my '99 GM included the fuse and pig tail for the brake controller. As time went on these became extras you had to buy. On my '05 Trailblazer and then my '08 Suburban I had to hook up a wire for the aftermarket brake controller and for the 12-volt. I then had to add a fuse for the 12-volt. So what you are experiencing is the norm.

/ Towing Package, tow ready?
Pat, this is the norm. At least it is for GM. I believe Ford is the same. Don't know about Dodge, nobody buys them... So what you are experiencing is the norm.

Well the norm sucks. When I am sold a tow package and told that the truck is "TOW READY" I expect it to be READY for use, not ready to be owner completed. I think this is a pretty shabby state of affairs. If It were an after market controller install or owner installed trailer connector on the bumper and NOT OEM installed equipment then maybe...

At the least, dealers should be up front and disclose the DIY nature of the tow ready BS.

I suppose they do it to us because we let them. I intend to make my dealer aware of what I think of the practice and because it is NORMAL is no excuse as I was told the truck was ready for towing use and it isn't, After our conversation the dealer will be aware of just how much profit was in it for him if I never return to them again for a new vehicle or service. Fool me once... and if my brain is working I will likely not give you a second chance. There are lots of Ford dealers out there and I think it is likely any number of them would "toss in" a relay and fuse plus installation to secure a sale, repeat service business or customer loyalty/satisfaction.

Pat

/ Towing Package, tow ready? #6  
I agree its the norm. Your truck is ready to tow................ just not tow EVERY type of trailer out there. I'd just hook 12 volts to the line going to the trailer battery and call it good. No doubt if the manufacturers do that for us it will add another $1000 to the sticker price. :rolleyes:

/ Towing Package, tow ready? #7  
Worse Pat. When GM used to include the Pigtail and fuses the dealer would take them out and sell them back to the people that weren't aware they were to be included. My dealer that sold me my '99 tried to do that to me until I told them that it was included from GM. And this was on a truck that I had custom ordered and actually sat down with the inventory manager and speced out what I wanted.

The problem is you are dealing with salesmen. They don't know the product. Heck, most of them don't even know (or maybe allowed) to make a deal any more. Everything has to be run by the manager for approval.

/ Towing Package, tow ready? #8  
Maybe I'm just lucky, but my '07 came with everything ready to tow, my dealer even installed the fuse.

I know it's not right that you have to do this, but bring a checklist with you to the dealer when you spec your truck.

Before you sign your contract, jot down the items you expect to be in place on the open spaces of the paperwork before you sign. Make the sales manager initial that he will have those things done before you agree to take delivery.

When the truck arrives, do not smile, do not stare at the shiny new truck. Instead, say "now let's get out that checklist". Make sure everything you wrote on the sales column is included with the truck. Refuse to buy until they're done.

You'd be shocked at how fast the service dept will get these things done. :)

/ Towing Package, tow ready? #9  
Yes, pat its the norm. I am guessing you have a Ford since you are talking about the relay but things change day to day. GM did away with the pigtail all together in the new body style and now you have to run wires to a non OEM brake Controller from under the hood. I bet this saved them $1 per truck but I guess it adds up.

If it was a Ford it should have came with the relay. If not the dealer swiped it to sell you later.

Chris

/ Towing Package, tow ready? #10  
Chris you don't have to go under the hood on the GMs. They are right there under the dash. That is the way it was on my '08 Suburban. You can also see them installing one on an '08 Silverado here: Brake Controller Installation - 2008 Chevrolet Silverado - etrailer.com If you are going out under the hood, you are doing it wrong - or at least the hard way. Incidentally that video show connecting the power wire for the brake controller but not the battery charging line & fuse.