Hitch Pin Wear

/ Hitch Pin Wear #1  

wkpoor

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 5400, Farmall H, Farmall Cub, Allis Chalmers CA
As anyone (besides me) ever wondered about the hitch pin? I have a Titan hitch and it still uses the same 5/8" pin. Well for the first time I have noticed the pin wearing. Not like ready to break but getting some crankshaft wear on it. Still I've never heard of a pin failing but have heard of a ball or ball mount failing.
Seems to me a 3/4" or even 1" pin wouldn't exactly be overkill. But then again the cast auto engage coupler on my 14K trailer is only attached with 2 bolts. Go figure?

/ Hitch Pin Wear #2  
I know what your are saying. I have towed all my life and as you know heavy loads and never had a pin break but have elongated the hole on both my factory F-250 and GM 3500 factory hitch. These were 2" units. I now have 2 2.5" hitches, one Titan on the F-250 and a Ford factory one on my F-350 and they both use 5/8" pins. I have never had one break but I recently switched over and am using 5/8" top link pins for 3 point assemblies instead of standard hitch pins. I like the gold plating and lynch pin better than a standard hitch pin. I have thought about drilling out to 3/4" like you were talking about but the problem is if you ever need to use the reducer sleeve and a standard 2" bar you are up the creek.

Chris

/ Hitch Pin Wear #3  
One more thing on hitch pins in general. I have noticed over the years of transporting is that the hitch pin itself causes wear around the hole on the hitch itself. I believe its due to the bent in. Here in the last year I started using 5/8" top link pins with less wear. They have a square shoulder and the lynch pin is more secure in my eyes then the standard hitch pin retainer.

Chris

/ Hitch Pin Wear
Thats a great idea Chris. I probably have those lying around too.Now both my old hitch and new one use the same 5/8" dia but the obviously the 2 1/2" receiver uses a longer pin. I have to use the adapter because, as strange as this may seem, I couldn't locate a 2 1/2" ball mount with a 5" rise and with a rating of 14K/2K. I had to buy it in 2". Plenty of 2 1/2" of of sizes to choose from just not in the 5" rise. I have a solid aluminum ball mount also.

/ Hitch Pin Wear #5  
Try your local RV dealer or I have had the best luck with my Ford Dealer. At the time I bought my stuff they were the only ones putting a Heavy Duty 2.5" hitch on the trucks and had a good source for stuff. Now GM does also and not sure about Dodge but you may call the service dept. They had to order it but I got everything I need in 2-3 days and the price was right in line with the internet once I figured in shipping.

Chris

/ Hitch Pin Wear
I worded my post wrong. The 2" mount I use now has the ratings 14K/2K. Solid aluminum. I just couldn't locate it in 2 1/2" so I wouldn't need the adapter. I bought the Titan and like it but I still don't think they are made to my personal specs. A fab shop near me afterwards said they would have built me one for less and it would have been built much heavier. Other than the 2 1/2" tube that is heavier the Titan really isn't all that much more than the factory hitch was and still uses the original 8 mounting bolts. Fab shop said they would have picked up the side of the frame instead of the bottom so the bolts would be in shear and not tension or just weld it on. Again I think hitch ratings are really bogus. And then it all boils down to either the single 5/8" pin or the 2 bolts on the coupler.