Truck tool boxes

/ Truck tool boxes #1  

buckle97

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830GST
I'm looking for a tool box to mount on my pickup. The two brands I have seen are UWS and the ones self labeled at Tractor Supply. Any pros or cons to the solid lid versus the dual lids? I feel like I want one with the rails on top for light tie-down duty. Is it worth having the inside sprayed with Line-X? Any advice?

/ Truck tool boxes #2  
For me, the single lid style with the lockset on the outside edges work well. I usually cut a piece of scrap carpet to place in the bottom. It helps to cut whatever you place in the bottom of the box to fit snug to prevent constant sliding and the subsequent aluminum dust from the wear in the box. Also, Weatherguard is the top box IMHO - but I typically have bought used in order to get them about half price or less.

/ Truck tool boxes #3  
I have had both and by far prefer the single lid "Coffin" style boxes. The stuff you store in the middle of the two lid boxes is almost impossible to access. Depending on the quality of the box you might want to put a piece of thin plywoood in the bottom for stability.

/ Truck tool boxes #4  
RKI boxes are what we have used for the last 11 years at the water company. Haven't tore one up yet. I also like a single lid box, they seal out rain better in my opinion.

/ Truck tool boxes #5  
I'm looking for a tool box to mount on my pickup. The two brands I have seen are UWS and the ones self labeled at Tractor Supply. Any pros or cons to the solid lid versus the dual lids? I feel like I want one with the rails on top for light tie-down duty. Is it worth having the inside sprayed with Line-X? Any advice?

I had the one from TSC, the kind that sits level with the top of my truck bed so I can use it with the fifth wheel trailer attached. It was the largest one they sell and had a single lid. It had great capacity and the lid sealed real well.

/ Truck tool boxes #6  
I have one in the shed. When I had it in the truck, it was nice, but with a 4x4 fullsize, access to the middle was a major reach. It is a single lid; I like that style.

Beside being hard to reach the middle, there were a couple other things. When I got bark, dirt gravel ect, some always went under the box(maybe 5" clearance to bed). Pain to get out.

It also made my long bed truck a short bed; if you have a short bed, it will turn your truck in to a micro-bed.

I got mine from Central 4WD. It was a display model and had a ding in the back. It was like a $300 box; they knocked about $100 off.

Will look in the shed tomorrow to see what brand; it is definitely not a cheap one.

/ Truck tool boxes #7  
I have a Weatherguard on my 06, and as far as truck boxes go, they're the best IMO. Everything is very heavily built and functions as smooth as butter. The only con is that they tend to cost double what TSC brands, Kobalt's, etc. cost. I have the standard width, single door saddle box and it was about $600 in 07'. If you going to buy a truck box buy the biggest one you can buy. I love mine, but I think next time I'll go with the extra wide, double deep box. The more room, the merrier.

:cool:

/ Truck tool boxes #8  
I have a Weatherguard on my 06, and as far as truck boxes go, they're the best IMO. Everything is very heavily built and functions as smooth as butter. The only con is that they tend to cost double what TSC brands, Kobalt's, etc. cost. I have the standard width, single door saddle box and it was about $600 in 07'. If you going to buy a truck box buy the biggest one you can buy. I love mine, but I think next time I'll go with the extra wide, double deep box. The more room, the merrier.

:cool:

good advice on the size. More lockable space is always better than less...the one I had was huge...

/ Truck tool boxes #9  
I have had just about every style on one truck or another.
I like my current set up the best. I have a chest style box. That sits flat on truck floor. just level or amaybe an inch or so shorter than the bed rails. too wide to fit between wheel wells but about a foot narrower than the bed. single lid, Not bolted down. If I need to remove it, my forklift picks it right up If I need to haul 4x4s, 2x6s or whatever, I slide box to one side and stack long boards on other side. I have several hundred pounds of tools in it. It stays put. I also have a 5 drawer box mounted at the tailgate, one of those that isnt as wide as the wheel well. It is VERY handy for the stuff I need all the time, Trailerballs,adapters for lights. lychpins, sockets, screwdivers ect.

/ Truck tool boxes #10  
one of the main reasons for the chest style box was being able to see my tail gate when backing up to my loading dock at work. I do alot of that and used to bang into the dock all the time