Trailer tongue toolbox

/ Trailer tongue toolbox #1  

Hematite

Gold Member
I'd like to put a toolbox on the trailer tongue to carry 4 -10' chains and 4 ratchet binders. Anyone have a suggestion on a lockable weathertight toolbox for this application?

Thanks to all that reply!

/ Trailer tongue toolbox #3  
Look for a used toolbox on craigslist. Small, aluminum truck toolbox can be picked up cheap and will have locks. Bolt it over the tongue, can carry all you need and won't rust, fade, weather tight etc. Throw in a jack, few tools and so on.

/ Trailer tongue toolbox #4  
For the money my WalMart has a weather tight Rubber Made box that is about 24" long x 16" wide x 14" tall. I have one on the tonge of my car haul trailer and have put about 1/2 dozen on boat trailers for customers. I have 8 2" ratchet straps, 4 6' long chains, gloves, controller for my winch, a jack stand, 8 strap corner protectors, and 4 axle straps in mine. Its stuffed but works great for the $15 or so it cost.

You can kind of see it in the background of the picture I took of my FEL boom pole.

Chris

Attachments

• IMAG0174.JPG
    IMAG0174.JPG
    251.8 KB · Views: 868
   / Trailer tongue toolbox
Hey, thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to look into these to see which will work for me. It will be a relief to get the tie down parts out of the truck bed and stored on the trailer where they belong.

/ Trailer tongue toolbox #6  
My 12000# trailer had a box built into the tongue by a previous owner. They welded a piece of c channel across the forward area of the A frame, then welded a plate across the bottom (supported by the frame, the c channel piece, and the front cross piece of the trailer bed). Then they cut a piece of diamond plate to fit over it all (frame edge to edge) as a lid. They used a piece of rod and bent it into a U and welded that to the inside of the tongue and cut a slot into the lid for a hasp. The handle is simply two pieces of angle iron welded back to back. Very simple, holds chain, straps, binders & blocks. And I don't care about water proofness -- it all drains out and is covered. Plus, it is as low as the trailer frame (nothing to trip over when crossing over the tongue) and will support a bucket -- and I can still open the tailgate (if the ground is flat so it doesn't hit the jack). I think it was likely made from scrap.

I would prefer a steel truck tool box if I was going that way. It can take more abuse and is easier to modify (I have seen a friends aluminum box on his atv trailer -- not too sturdy when it is out where it is exposed to full access abuse).

/ Trailer tongue toolbox
My 12000# trailer had a box built into the tongue by a previous owner. They welded a piece of c channel across the forward area of the A frame, then welded a plate across the bottom (supported by the frame, the c channel piece, and the front cross piece of the trailer bed). Then they cut a piece of diamond plate to fit over it all (frame edge to edge) as a lid. They used a piece of rod and bent it into a U and welded that to the inside of the tongue and cut a slot into the lid for a hasp. The handle is simply two pieces of angle iron welded back to back. Very simple, holds chain, straps, binders & blocks. And I don't care about water proofness -- it all drains out and is covered. Plus, it is as low as the trailer frame (nothing to trip over when crossing over the tongue) and will support a bucket -- and I can still open the tailgate (if the ground is flat so it doesn't hit the jack). I think it was likely made from scrap.

I would prefer a steel truck tool box if I was going that way. It can take more abuse and is easier to modify (I have seen a friends aluminum box on his atv trailer -- not too sturdy when it is out where it is exposed to full access abuse).

Hmmm, that's interesting. The built in toolbox also reinforces the tongue area considerably and I use a WD hitch which does place twisting stress on the tongue channel. I'm going to think about that one a bit!:D