How to make ramps stand up on gooseneck

/ How to make ramps stand up on gooseneck #1  

Newblue

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA SS
Need to haul two jeeps and want to make my ramps stand up. The trailer has a one inch bar between the dovetail and rub rail that the factory uses for stand up ramp bars and I'm guessing it attaches to the one inch loop handle on the ramp. I wish I could found out from the factory how they do it but we are not on very good speaking terms. This is the closest pic I could find.
DSC01084.jpg

Thanks,
Mike

/ How to make ramps stand up on gooseneck #2  
I am going to build mine to stand up ... the plan is to use category one pins and a flat piece of 3/8 by inch and half. The pins will mount one to the trailer at the dove/bed area and the other to the ramp. The flat iron will be the length needed to stand them up.

/ How to make ramps stand up on gooseneck #4  
I requested that option for stand up ramps when I ordered my Betterbuilt and have used it several times. The flat irons stow in the tonque box when not in use.

/ How to make ramps stand up on gooseneck #5  
You could get some 2" flat, Drill 1" holes at each end and get some 3/4" round. Drill some holes in the round for pins, weld the round to the side of the trailer and to the ramps and slide the flat on the round and pin it up.

/ How to make ramps stand up on gooseneck #6  
Mike They use a piece of round stock, I think 3/4" pipe or tubing and weld a square U made of flat steel with holes drilled in each side of the U. The brace pins over the 1" welded in the rube rail and the other pins to your lift assist handle.

I understand the part about them not being on good speaking terms. I still really like the design and welding on my trailer but they need to quit advertising 100% painting. Their so called "warranty dept." is worthless. I have never had a business give me so much run around. I gave up on talking to them and painted the bottom of my dove tail myself.

If you haven't checked your wheel bearings you better do so. I had one get really loose bringing mine from Somerset. When I pulled mine there was about enough grease in all for wheels for maybe one. When I asked them about this they said that they buy them as a assembled unit and don't bother checking them. Also 2 wheels had the lugnuts so tight if I had a flat while on the road I would have really had a fight getting them off.

Last edited:
   / How to make ramps stand up on gooseneck #7  
You could get some 2" flat, Drill 1" holes at each end and get some 3/4" round. Drill some holes in the round for pins, weld the round to the side of the trailer and to the ramps and slide the flat on the round and pin it up.

Thats what I was talking about using the Cat 1 hitch pins ... they are cheap, bolt on and can use a lynch pin .....

/ How to make ramps stand up on gooseneck
Thanks for the replies everyone. Thanks to Brentwrench too about how the factory does their stand up ramps and the wheel bearings. I have about 1600 miles on the trailer and have not checked the wheel bearings, I will do that tonight! I did retorque all the lug nuts though. One of the salesmen told me that they switched to "American Axle" because of issues with tires/wheels seperating from axle on Dexter axles. This sounded fishy to me.

/ How to make ramps stand up on gooseneck #9  
instead of fabing up ramp holds for one use.

why not take them off and use some short removable ramps for the trip that you strap the the floor under the jeeps.

/ How to make ramps stand up on gooseneck #10  
Also 2 wheels had the lugnuts so tight if I had a flat while on the road I would have really had a fight getting them off.
Now that you mention it my betterBuilt had all 4 wheel lugs so tight it would not have been possible to change a tire on the road. And when I removed them at home with a 3ft bar all 32 lugs nuts were junk.....threads were pulled. I had a similar thing happen yrs ago after getting new tires on a car once. Jusr some gorilla with a 3/4 impact I guess.