Splicing in new trailer connector

/ Splicing in new trailer connector #1  

westbrooklawn

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3400HST
I just purchased a used 20', 12,000 lb. trailer to move my bobcat and tractor. The wiring is good under the trailer, but the wire along the tongue up to the plug has been cut, taped, etc. I purchased enough 12 ga., 6 conductor trailer wire to replace this section, but have not been able to find a good way to "finish out" the splice. Six butt splices wrapped in electrical tape leaves a bulky and ugly looking connection. Is there any type of terminating connector, block, etc. that is made to do this type of splice?

/ Splicing in new trailer connector #2  
I have used outdoor rated waterproof single gang electrical boxes with a blank cover to make splices on trailers.

John

/ Splicing in new trailer connector #4  
I have used outdoor rated waterproof single gang electrical boxes with a blank cover to make splices on trailers.

John

We do this on all the boat trailers and utility trailers we re wire. Get the plastic gray box with a blank cover and you are good to go. Just make sure you use a strain re-leaf on the plug side to keep the wires from being pulled on or worse yet completely out.

Chris

/ Splicing in new trailer connector #5  
I would solder and and heat shrink the connections. Samller heatshrink for the wires is easy to find. May have to look at an electrical place for large heat shrink. Solder will give you a better electrical connection. The heat shrink should keep the connection dry. And, it looks a lot better than tape.

Most butt splices or scotch locks are a mechanical connection; they are prone to corrosion and mechanical issues(how tight the crimp is ect). Trailers have anough wiring and lighting related issues.

And, it would look really like a professionally done setup. That is, if anyone can actually see the splice... You can not tell where I did mine unless you look really close.

/ Splicing in new trailer connector #6  
I would solder and and heat shrink the connections. Samller heatshrink for the wires is easy to find. May have to look at an electrical place for large heat shrink. Solder will give you a better electrical connection. The heat shrink should keep the connection dry. And, it looks a lot better than tape.

Most butt splices or scotch locks are a mechanical connection; they are prone to corrosion and mechanical issues(how tight the crimp is ect). Trailers have anough wiring and lighting related issues.

And, it would look really like a professionally done setup. That is, if anyone can actually see the splice... You can not tell where I did mine unless you look really close.

Great suggestion!! That will look professional. Or, aircraft environmental splices will look about the same.

Deano

/ Splicing in new trailer connector #8  
   / Splicing in new trailer connector #9  
that 7 pole j box is what i have on my gooseneck. it came in handy when i added a battery to the trailer

/ Splicing in new trailer connector #10  
Second on the solder and heat shrink. Some of the shrink tube is coated with glue on the inside. If you can, find some of that.