2011 GM HD Trucks

/ 2011 GM HD Trucks #2  
I wonder if they are finally going to get it right and put a solid front axle in there?

Chris

/ 2011 GM HD Trucks #3  
Considering the average person only uses four wheel drive a small percentage of time during the trucks life, I doubt they will ever change. The public wants comfort more than it wants "beef".

Besides the Hummer H1 has a four-wheel fully independent suspension system and variable-rate heavy-duty coil springs and no question the off capabilities of that beast.

While I agree regarding the higher repair costs for IFS, IFS is pretty much the natural progression to make a vehicle more appealing for the mass market.

All the legendry off roaders like Pajero, G wagon , land rover discovery, LCruiser series have evolved from non independent live axle to Independent front and in some cases all independent suspension.

Whether we like it or not, there has been a shift towards comfort/road dynamics factor and it is a basic hygene factor now and if it offers decent off roadability it is a plus!

/ 2011 GM HD Trucks #4  
The bigger problem in my area is hanging a 9' plow off the front. Just does not work well with the IFS. Tire wear is a major problem. As for the ride I could not tell much difference between my 2004 Dodge 2500, my 2005 GM 3500 SRW, and my 2004 and 2006 Ford F-250 and F-350 SRW that were all 4x4.

Either way its a step in the right direction for GM. The chassis has been a weak point in the package.

Chris

/ 2011 GM HD Trucks #5  
Tire wear is a major problem
Tire wear is a major problem with the other 2 without any extra weight on the front end. Especially the Dodge. I don't see how anyone can argue the Chevy IFS is the best to drive. They don't wander or feel loose. With only one tire rotation I wore my first set down to slicks at 57,000 dead even all
4's.

/ 2011 GM HD Trucks #6  
I use 4 wheel drive all the time on the farm....when out in the field I use it b/c it cuts down on wheel slipage never mind if your pulling a heavy trailer off road....anyhow I do believe a solid axle is stronger and more reliable than IFS....but that's just my opinion.

/ 2011 GM HD Trucks #7  
???

My Dodge is no worse than any other truck I have had, or family members have had. Granted, I only have 127000 miles so far.

Tire wear is a major problem with the other 2 without any extra weight on the front end. Especially the Dodge. I don't see how anyone can argue the Chevy IFS is the best to drive. They don't wander or feel loose. With only one tire rotation I wore my first set down to slicks at 57,000 dead even all
4's.

/ 2011 GM HD Trucks #8  
Everyone I know with a Dodge complains about tire wear. Maybe the newer ones are better.

/ 2011 GM HD Trucks #9  
I can not say I use 4 wheel drive every day but I use it 2-3 times a week. Usually only 4-5 minutes at a time but I could not do without it. As for the IFS on HD trucks it has no place. Ford tried it and it just does not work. Might be ok for the guy drive a diesel back and forth to the grocery store but us guys who put our trucks to work plowing and towing it does not make the cut.

Chris

/ 2011 GM HD Trucks #10  
Dunno. Mine is an '01. I rotate every 10k or so. My latest tires are not lasting 50k miles, but they seem to be a softer compound.

Only thing I have found is my rear tires wear. I run haul enough stuff, that I leave the pressure high. Same on my old Ford though.

Everyone I know with a Dodge complains about tire wear. Maybe the newer ones are better.