Tongue weight scale

/ Tongue weight scale #11  
I've used the Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale for years and it takes all doubt out of your loaded trailer's tongue weight in minutes. I've been towing trailers since the 1940s as a kid on my dad's farm and lately have been amazed at tongue weights of some trailers. I went to pull a Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler for a friend that wound up with a tongue weight of over 2,500 lbs with all the front water tanks full and no load in the cargo bay! Needless to say I didn't tow it until I emptied the water tanks.

I've pulled my fully loaded 12,000 lb flatbed cargo trailer over 45,000 miles in the last 3 years crossing the Sierras and Rockies on each trip from my home in CA to my home up at 8,000' in the Rockies with my Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat Supercab, 4x4 Off-Road Option, 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel, ZF 6-Speed Manual Transmission and with a GCWR of 20,000 Lbs. I upgraded my stock tow hitch to a Reese P/N 45008 Class-V Tow Beast Receiver Hitch with a 2½" Square Receiver Tube Opening. The Tow Beast Receiver has a 12,000 lbs.(GTW) Weight-Carrying Tow Capacity or a 14,000 lbs. (GTW) Weight-Distributing Tow Capacity.

The Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale is small enough to fit in your glove box and gives you peace of mind. I don't use it with every load but I always have it when in doubt.
Good luck,
Jim

/ Tongue weight scale #12  
Keep in mind that the weight on the jack does not equal the weight on the ball.

Last edited:
   / Tongue weight scale #13  
I've used this method before.

measure_tw_b_500.jpg

that's what i use.

/ Tongue weight scale #14  
When I use the Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale it is inserted into the the Hitch Ball Socket, not further back. The weight shown on the scale "IS" the actual weight on the ball.
Jim

/ Tongue weight scale #15  
When I use the Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale it is inserted into the the Hitch Ball Socket, not further back. The weight shown on the scale "IS" the actual weight on the ball.
Jim

Correct! That IS one of the advantages of the Sherline scale, you CAN measure at the ball socket in the coupler.