Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade?

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #1  

Bama67

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 5520H
Here is the deal, I have some land about 40 miles from where I live, and I tow my tractor back and forth, lately about 3-4 times a month. Before it was fine, because I had a small tractor. But a couple of months ago I got a new tractor, that when on the bumper pull, it totals about 10.5k. I have a 2005 F-150, 4x4, Screw, King Ranch with 3.73 gears. It has a 2'' leveling kit with 305/65r18 tires which are about 34.5'' tall. And it is my daily driver. As it stands now, 10k is pretty dang heavy behind this truck. I first I was just gonna upgrade to a diesel 4x4, model doesn't matter to much. But as I have been looking, I am now kinda wanting to keep my truck. I have had it since it was almost new, and my Aunt owned it before that, it is totally babied, and in like new condition. My worry is that I know the history of my truck, and to get a diesel for the same value (I would trade, truck is paid for) they have about 100k miles on them. And who knows the history on them, or how they were cared for.

So, should I just throw some add-a-leafs on it, go slow and call it a day. Or just get the bigger truck? What could I do to make it tow better? I have tossed the idea around to regear, maybe to 4.56 ratio, cause my tires are decent sized. But that would be about $1,500 to do so. Getting a seperate truck for towing duty is not an option.

Also which, would my truck handle better: a 2,250lb bumper pull, or a 3,500lb light duty gooseneck?

*and I know my truck isn't rated to tow this much load, so please, no preaching*
What would YOU do?

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #2  
Are your tires factory? If the factory tires were 31" tires the larger diameter would change your gear ratio by 12% to 16%.

How does your truck sit with the trailer on the bumper?

The max tow capacity for a 2005 F-150 is 9,900 pounds so you are not stretching it much.

Do you have brakes on your trailer.

If you have brakes my only concerns would be whether or not the gear ratio is placing excessive strain on the engine and whether or not your leveling "lift" kit will cause a suspension issue.

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #3  
According to the Ford Towing guide, your truck is rated at 9,200lbs. If the truck can handle the tongue load then I don't see you having a problem towing 10k. That 5.4l is nothing to write home about so don't plan on highway speed hill climbing or more then 8 mpg. With the limited amount of times you do this (3-4 per month) then you should be fine without changing gears or adding extra cooling. I would run a weight distributing hitch to help with load leveling and make sure the trailer brakes are good.

I don't typically condone overloading on tow capacity but when you are talking less then 10% more then rated then it's safe to say intermittent use is fine.

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #4  
10,000# with a pick up truck is about as serious as it gets. Most I have pulled is 8,000# with a 1996 Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins diesel. Pulling it wasn't the problem. Stopping it was. I had a 10,000# rated tandem drag trailer with brakes on both axles. Don't worry about under power on pulling. Worry about stopping the gosh darn thing.

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #5  
Here is the deal, I have some land about 40 miles from where I live, and I tow my tractor back and forth, lately about 3-4 times a month. Before it was fine, because I had a small tractor. But a couple of months ago I got a new tractor, that when on the bumper pull, it totals about 10.5k. I have a 2005 F-150, 4x4, Screw, King Ranch with 3.73 gears. It has a 2'' leveling kit with 305/65r18 tires which are about 34.5'' tall. And it is my daily driver. As it stands now, 10k is pretty dang heavy behind this truck. I first I was just gonna upgrade to a diesel 4x4, model doesn't matter to much. But as I have been looking, I am now kinda wanting to keep my truck. I have had it since it was almost new, and my Aunt owned it before that, it is totally babied, and in like new condition. My worry is that I know the history of my truck, and to get a diesel for the same value (I would trade, truck is paid for) they have about 100k miles on them. And who knows the history on them, or how they were cared for.

So, should I just throw some add-a-leafs on it, go slow and call it a day. Or just get the bigger truck? What could I do to make it tow better? I have tossed the idea around to regear, maybe to 4.56 ratio, cause my tires are decent sized. But that would be about $1,500 to do so. Getting a seperate truck for towing duty is not an option.

Also which, would my truck handle better: a 2,250lb bumper pull, or a 3,500lb light duty gooseneck?

*and I know my truck isn't rated to tow this much load, so please, no preaching*
What would YOU do?

If you are not running up and down mountains, I would just sit back and sip a warm cup of coffee and enjoy what you have. Just don't get in a hurry and life will be good.

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #6  
A goose neck trailer is ten times better than a bumper pull if the truck bed is not needed.

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade?
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. At first, I really wanted a diesel, cause i had that new truck fever. But then i really started thinking about it. My father in law has 3 F-350s w/ PSD in them, and he very rarely has any problems. But when he does have even a relatively small problem it costs more than I could buy an entire 5.4L engine for.

And I thought about the Super Duty with the V-10, but I am not sure I want a 10-12mpg truck as my daily driver. My 150 is not exactly a hybrid, but it can get about 17mpg.

And 10k doesn't sound like much, but on a half ton 4x4 truck, but that is a heavy load. The trailer does have brakes, but it kind of pushes me around. I think it is because I don't have enough weight on the bumper, so that is why i think an add a leaf in the rear would help me alot by putting more weight on the truck.

How effective are the weight dist hitches?

And man, half tons have came a long way. My dad has an old 80's model 3/4 ton, but my 1/2 ton handles it better than it does.

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #8  
Been where you are, gonna give you my straight beliefs.
Your priorities should be as follows, for whatever pickup you use.

Make sure your bakes on the trailer work superbly, as well as on the pickup. A must, period, even if you drive super carefully.

Move to a gooseneck trailer and ball in the pickup bed. As said, at least 10 times safer than bumper hitch, regardless of load balancing/extra springs.

Move to a diesel 3/4 or 1 ton.

My net, brakes and gooseneck will let you keep your current pickup, but you're gonna have to spend some $$ to be sufficiently safe... and this you need to do since you will be on the road several times a month. Try Craig's list for your gooseneck trailer.

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #9  
The trailer does have brakes, but it kind of pushes me around. I think it is because I don't have enough weight on the bumper, so that is why i think an add a leaf in the rear would help me alot by putting more weight on the truck.

Can you move the tractor forward on the trailer or back it onto the trailer to move the weight forward and increase the weight on the ball?

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #10  
One thing you always have to keep in mind, if you do not follow the manufacturer numbers to the letter you will be liable in an accident.

I've been there done that with lawyers and they will eat your lunch if you are one pond out of spec, that's what they do. Secondly your insurance company may or may not cover you if they run the numbers and you are out of spec, remember it's their job to find ways NOT to pay for anything.

Yes, yes, yes, I agree vehicles today can carry and haul more than listed and many people do it day in and day out, BUT, you have to ask yourself is it worth it. My answer is always NO.

You want to be 100% on the vehicle, the trailer, the type of chains, tires, inflation, ply, brakes, etc.etc.etc.