Will 10 ply tires make my Expedition Rough

/ Will 10 ply tires make my Expedition Rough #1  

OKnewguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Jinma 224
A tire shop I use from time to time has a set of used tires for a decent price, but they are 10 ply mildly aggressive. The Expedition uses 265-70-17 tires, and this is our spare vehicle that is used on trips, when we have lots of people, and lake duty in the summer. What are your thoughts on this? Will it make the Expedition ride rough?
Thanks gang, Dave

/ Will 10 ply tires make my Expedition Rough #2  
What air pressure will you run them at?:D

/ Will 10 ply tires make my Expedition Rough
Well my door jamb sticker says something like 32 or 35, I guess most of these 10 plies run around 50 or so, does it damage them to run them at less psi. I would think that they should be run at what ford says, but what do you all think?
Dave

/ Will 10 ply tires make my Expedition Rough #4  
Were there not some Expedition tire problems from running at too low an air pressure?:confused:

The 8 ply on my truck are at 80psi.:D

/ Will 10 ply tires make my Expedition Rough
Yes, the dreaded firestone tires on ford vehicles. That was a big mess.

/ Will 10 ply tires make my Expedition Rough #6  
We use 10 ply on our work trucks and I think they are 70 or 80 PSI. I personally never run what is on the door jam unless it match's the what the tires are rated for. Part of the Ford Firestone issue was Ford to get a better ride recommened 28 psi, vs Firestones 34. This causes a lot more side wall flex and heating. Funny on the trucks the same tire Ford was at 34, yet the SUV's 28. You can run less than what the tire is rated for, the pressure on the tire is for maximum load. On our work trucks when they are not loaded we do run less pressure, we just check the tires every now and then after a trip to see how hot they are, then when the snow plow goes on and weight in the back end, the PSI goes back up.
You also lose fuel milage and tire life going with less PSI.

/ Will 10 ply tires make my Expedition Rough #7  
Are the 10 ply tires load range e . If so max pressure is 80 psi . If you have passenger tires and switch to light truck tires , then it's going to ride stiffer

/ Will 10 ply tires make my Expedition Rough #8  
What load rating are you existing tires, and what are the new ones? If you jump from a "C" rated tire to an "E" rated tire, you will notice the tires are stiffer, even with lower air pressure.

/ Will 10 ply tires make my Expedition Rough #9  
Yes, it will. Its a stiffer tire.

Chris

/ Will 10 ply tires make my Expedition Rough #10  
They will be a 80 psi tire and the will ride like a truck.
If you are not towing just get a LT tire.
Usually a 10 ply will run about 30 bucks more than a LT