Silent Armors or Dura Trak

/ Silent Armors or Dura Trak #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
Im in the market for a new set of tires for my 07 double cab Tundra long bed. The stock tires lasted about 18000 miles and now I need something new for winter. I was looking at the Duratrak and Wrangler Silent Armors - both by Goodyear. I am mainly on road, some dirt/gravel road and want something good for rain and snow. Anyone have these tires and if so what do you like/dislike about them?
Thanks

/ Silent Armors or Dura Trak #2  
Man, you wear out tires quick. I have heard the SA tires wear quick but thats second hand. I can tell you my neighbor has the DT on a 3500 Dmax and he loves them. The have good traction, much better than the stockers, and look great.

If you want something with more traction look at the Hankook DynaPro MT. I have them on my Titan and love them. Good all around traction, good looks, and relatively quiet for being so aggressive.

I also like the Nitto and Cooper. I will probably go with the Cooper SST on my F-350 Diesel next time around.

Chris

Attachments

• DSCF0032.jpg
    DSCF0032.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 842
  • cooper sst.JPG
    cooper sst.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 291
   / Silent Armors or Dura Trak #3  
For what it is worth: I have a '07 Tundra DC 4x4.
I replaced the stock tires with BFG Rugged-trails.
Now I don't deal with snow, but rain is another story.
The grip is much better.

/ Silent Armors or Dura Trak #4  
I have 8000 miles on silent armors mounted on my CC Chevy 2500 Diesel. I would reccomend them especially for your driving conditions. Have not had snow yet but wet traction and gravel roads/light off-roading performance has been excellent.

On dry pavement the handling and low noise level is great too.

/ Silent Armors or Dura Trak #5  
I would not buy the silent armours if your worried about tire wear.Traction is great,tire life,not so much...

/ Silent Armors or Dura Trak #6  
I have had Goodyear SA's on my 03 2500 chevy Diesel 4x4 for 2 years. At 28k 2 of them are evenly worn down to 8/32, and the other two were replaced under warranty yesterday at 4/32. Goodyear prorated the tires at around 50%, which saved me $180.00 on the replacements. My 2 new SA's have 16/32 tread depth.

The SA's are awesome in the snow, good in the rain, pretty quiet, and ride a little harsh, even when aired down to 60psi front and 50psi rear. I have not owned a Duratrak, but would say the SA would be superior on hard packed snow, ice, rain, while the Duratrak would be better in very deep snow and mud.

My truck will back through 7in of fresh snow in 2wd, empty bed with minimal wheel slippage, this is prior to being worn to 8/32. It is equipped with a locking rear diff.

The only real gripe with the Silent armor is that my fuel mileage dropped 1 to 1.5 mpg on the highway immediatly after installing the Goodyears, and has remained consistent throughout my ownership experience.

/ Silent Armors or Dura Trak #7  
I recently replaced my Silent Armors, they wore significantly faster than expected, I got a 50% pro-rated warranty. These were on a 02 Expedition, used in all weather conditions, -30F to 100F, snow, rain, ice, paved and unsurfaced roads, you name it. I have no complaints other than the fast wear.

/ Silent Armors or Dura Trak #8  
I recently replaced my Silent Armors, they wore significantly faster than expected, I got a 50% pro-rated warranty. These were on a 02 Expedition, used in all weather conditions, -30F to 100F, snow, rain, ice, paved and unsurfaced roads, you name it. I have no complaints other than the fast wear.

I think that is the reason that they have so much tread depth, because they wear fairly quickly, so a starting depth of 16/32 just prolongs the service life of the tire. I will say the 2 at 8/32 still do great in the rain, as all of the tread block siping is still present. Goodyear SA's have siping that is almost the entire depth of the lug, where most 10 ply tires only have siping around 50% depth. It is the siping that makes a tire perform in the rain and on hard packed plowed roads. The more siping , the better.

/ Silent Armors or Dura Trak #9  
I have Silent Armors on my F150. The snow/rain/mud traction is fantastic (esp for the first couple winters:)) I have 40000 miles on mine and they have been wearing quite well while I was living in the city (I rotate them religiously at 6000), but now that we have moved to a new gravel road with crushed rock they are starting to wear quicker. I still would not hesitate to buy them again if I keep this truck that long. They do seem to have fairly soft looking sidewalls which can look underinflated. I keep them at the max recommended PSI all year with no apparent detriment to the tread life (maybe increased)

Brent

/ Silent Armors or Dura Trak #10  
I have had the DuraTrac's on my Dodge Ram for a few months now. I'm very pleased with them. Traction is good in wet or muddy surfaces. In my opinion, these tires aren't just relatively quiet; they are quiet! I cannot speak to how they wear, but I'm hoping for a long life.

Attachments

• dt.jpg
    dt.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 347