Bulldog Hitch

/ Bulldog Hitch #1  

lakngulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
I could use a little help with the proper technique to maintain and use a bulldog hitch on my new (used) trailer. I have successfully mounted and dismounted a couple of times but with effort and grunts. Mine has the little thumb lever that does not seem to move so well. When I pull the collar back far enough for to get the hitch on the 2" ball, one of the sides of the bulldog pops out. Help!! Should I oil or grease it. What is the best technique to use?

/ Bulldog Hitch #2  
I could use a little help with the proper technique to maintain and use a bulldog hitch on my new (used) trailer. I have successfully mounted and dismounted a couple of times but with effort and grunts. Mine has the little thumb lever that does not seem to move so well. When I pull the collar back far enough for to get the hitch on the 2" ball, one of the sides of the bulldog pops out. Help!! Should I oil or grease it. What is the best technique to use?
If I am reading you right, the hitch is doing exactly what it should do-after disengaging the locking lever and pulling back on the collar, one of the hitch sides will pop out (it is spring loaded) and then you lower the trailer on the vehicle ball. You then repeat the process in reverse order. Sometimes the spring loaded hitch piece needs to be kicked back in if there is a slight misalingment-won't hurt it but as in anything else, not a good continuous practice. Careful greasing of the moving parts and socket will make for a smoother process. IMPORTANT: Always put some sort of locking pin back in the safety lever's through hole as it is a safeguard for the sliding collar to keep the trailer on the ball. I use a keyed brass lock device which is locked in place even when the trailer is detached. Just one more bad guy hurdle in theft prevention.

/ Bulldog Hitch
That is a great idea on the locking pin. I have the standard pin and spring clip for safety, but the locking will add some theft prevention as well. When one side has popped out I have had difficulty getting it back in place. I will grease the parts a bit and see if that helps.

/ Bulldog Hitch #4  
I use a spray can of white lithium grease that comes with the little tube you can stick in the side of the nozzle. It allows you to spray grease in-between the sleeve and the coupler and the other pivot points. If it's clean and lubricated, the piece on the side of the coupler that swings to the side should move freely.

FWIW: That's my favorite type of coupler for BP trailers.

/ Bulldog Hitch #5  

One thing I like to do with stiff joints is clean the old grease/dirt out prior to appling the new grease. Penetrating oil followed by an air blast can clean out areas you cannot disassemble.

/ Bulldog Hitch #6  
Been pulling trailers for most of my 75 years but never used a bull dog hitch. Bought a new16 ft. utility trailer and it had one of those critters on it. Dealer hooked it up and when I got it home I unhooked it in a hurry and didn't pay much attention to how it went together. Today I went to hook up the trailer and I was flat stumped. Got on line to you folks, read a little of this thread, went through a period of feelin' real, real dumb. Then went out and hooked the darned thing up without a hitch (except for the bull dog, of course). Sure glad I joined this web site! Now, only me and fellow tractor owners know how dumb you can get even after many years of living.

/ Bulldog Hitch #7  
Welcome aboard tallerpaul. We have all had humbling experiences at one time or another.