Fuel Mileage

/ Fuel Mileage #11  
I know right, other than driving on my gravel driveway, (which is in pretty nice condition), all of my driving is on asphalt. How the filter ended up looking like that from the type of driving I do is beyond me. BTW, I stick with OEM filters as well, they're cheap and have great filtration efficiency.

Are you noticing any loss of oil in that Cummins? Reason I ask is it looks like the filter may have a little oil soak. Maybe loosing it on shutdown with some sort of back draft on the turbo.

Chris

/ Fuel Mileage #12  
I have an 06 GMC diesel, I see about the fuel mileage you do maybe even a little less than you. Pulling my fuel mileage goes down like a rock. I have a bumper pull camper about 25 feet long or so and a small jon-boat on flat ground pulling them at about 60 say on average I get about 12 to 13 miles to the gallon. I pulled my camper in some hilly crooked roads and got about 10.5 to 11.5 miles to the gallon.

Right now I am running about 14.5 to 15.5 city and some hwy driving, with a little pulling of my trailer with a polaris ranger on it. I hear folks throwing out fuel mileage that just blows me away. I don't know how they get such good fuel mileage, my truck just does not get as great as some folks I guess.

/ Fuel Mileage #13  
On the how dirty the other guy's air filter is it all comes down to there the intake sucks it's air from. GM trucks suck clean air. By the looks of that filter Dodge needs to relocate their air intake to another location or do a better job of shielding it one.

/ Fuel Mileage #14  
On the how dirty the other guy's air filter is it all comes down to there the intake sucks it's air from. GM trucks suck clean air. By the looks of that filter Dodge needs to relocate their air intake to another location or do a better job of shielding it one.

That's what I was thinking, too.

/ Fuel Mileage #15  
@WH401: Be honest, that's really a vacuum cleaner bag. ;)

@radioman: Inlet restriction gauges aren't exactly precision instruments, but they're not all junk. If something doesn't seem right then double-check it with a manometer; if the restriction gauge is way off then junk it. Your dealer should have maximum inlet restriction specification (in inches of water) for your engine.

@mattman & Hematite: Amen! If your air filters are pluging up too quickly then there are a few things you can do like pre-cleaners/cyclonic separators but simply relocating or raising the air inlet a few feet can help. Those inlet snorkels on some large trucks aren't for fording...

Some thoughts about air filters:

The restriction indicators are important. Every time you pull out the air filter you let a little dust into the engine; it's even worse if you're doing the service at a dusty worksite. Changing filters too often means that you're exposing your engines to this more often than necessary. All that trouble light is truly good for is looking for holes/tears in the element.

I can't abide cleaning air filters with compressed air. You can put small tears or holes in the filter paper and, with dust blowing everywhere, some will get into the filter's clean side. If this is done near the filter box then even more harm is done.

The temptation to use air might creep into your mind when you're on a really dusty worksite where filters last less than a week and the costs start adding up. Fight the temptation and eat the cost of replacing them, add a pre-cleaner or have them professionally cleaned; up here in Canada, Finning offers filter cleaning services.

Actually, a filter cleaner is on my list of shame: The list of things I'd like to make that I haven't gotten around to doing. The idea is stolen from a friend who has what he calls his wall of shame; a bookshelf reserved for books he's bought but not yet read.

/ Fuel Mileage #16  
Are you noticing any loss of oil in that Cummins? Reason I ask is it looks like the filter may have a little oil soak. Maybe loosing it on shutdown with some sort of back draft on the turbo.

Chris

Nope, the dipstick reads the same each time I check it over the course of a 7500 mile oil run, and the inside of the intake tube is as clean as can be, no residue at all.

I'd have to double check to be positive, but the filter should pull air from just inside the front bumper, a location that's commonly used on most all diesel trucks today, specifically to keep away from the heat of the engine.

In all fairness though, the dirty filter in the picture is the Mopar filter that came with the truck, which has a natural yellow tint to the filter layers (those right off the bat give it a slightly "dirtier" look), and the new replacement filter was a Fleetguard, which is all white. My truck is going to be due for a change in the next couple of months at the rate I'm going so I'll have to get a picture of that filter as well.

/ Fuel Mileage #17  
Let me get this straight, you are towing a moderate load at over 70 miles an hour and complain about the mileage? Nobody brought up the obvious issue, SPEED! Your driving too fast to get good mileage. The wind resistance is based on the square of your speed if I recall. In other words, wind resistance is 4 times greater when going 60mph from 30mph and nine times greater from 30 to 90. Once you get the load up to speed, the weight doesn't hurt you mileage that much, but the wind restiance of the trailer with a tractor on it is really high. Thats why they had the 55mph speed limit for several years. That said, drive how ever fast you feel is safe, time is also a vaulable assest.

Maybe you were driving a little faster with the lighter load because you felt safer, which hurt you mileage because of the greater wind resistance.

/ Fuel Mileage
Dodge Man,

I think you make a solid point here. I tow to keep up with traffic, unless I am towing something really heavy. The interstate where I live is mostly 65-70 mph speed (mostly 70). If one drives 70, even in the right lane, people swing in front of the driver, run up on the driver, etc. To keep up with traffic flow, it becomes essential that one go around 70-75, which is generally where I tow. The truck has no trouble pulling at that speed and it generally tach's around 1800-1900 at that speed. Thinking that might be the "sweet spot" for towing, that is where I have kept the truck, but clearly it does not seem to like that speed. Without your having seen my trailer I can tell you it is an aerodynamic brick and likely has some role in the reduced mileage. That still to me, though, does not fully explain why my mileage dropped as is did. I was getting around 2-3 mpg better pulling the same load at the same speeds about 3 months ago. The truck runs great. What gives?? Is it truly more efficient to tow in tow/haul mode or in regular overdrive in this case?? Also, to me a load of this weight is a "light" load for this truck. Am I wrong here??

John M

/ Fuel Mileage #19  
I do not have all the answers. I would check the air filter again. If anything it may be installed wrong. Who knows. Also maybe it was a cheap air filter. My local GM dealer where I take my dads Corvette for service, he live in Cali and the car is here in Indiana, uses some of the cheapest stuff I have seen and run Valvoline filters.

It is probably winter fuel or they just got a bad batch. Like I said there is no standards for Diesel like there is with gas.

Also the sweet spot on the Dmax is 1600 rpms. The Fords that you are used to are around 1900 rpms. I pull a lot and with my Dmax I got my best economy at 62 mph. The same load behind my Ford 6.0's did the best at 74.

Chris

/ Fuel Mileage #20  
When we went to Texas in August, we did pretty well going from Sacramento to Needles. Calif is a 55mph towing speed limit.

In Arizona and New Mexico, we bumped it up, near 65. About 62 was where I could really see the difference, watching the in cab mileage display. I know they are not necessarily accurate, but they give you an idea.

When we got to Texas, I bumped it to 70mph. The 5th wheel towed sweet, even at 70. But, my mileage fell apart like crazy. So, I eased back down to about 62-65mph.

I was getting 12mpg at 62 with my 01 Dodge/Cummins. That is with 4.11 gears(I would not do that again... If I get a chance, I would like to swap to 3:73...)

Oh, the other thing... No one mentioned tires. Unless you have stock tires, or recalibrated for bigger ones, bigger tires throw the odometer off, and in turn the mileage calculation...

Let me get this straight, you are towing a moderate load at over 70 miles an hour and complain about the mileage? Nobody brought up the obvious issue, SPEED! Your driving too fast to get good mileage. The wind resistance is based on the square of your speed if I recall. In other words, wind resistance is 4 times greater when going 60mph from 30mph and nine times greater from 30 to 90. Once you get the load up to speed, the weight doesn't hurt you mileage that much, but the wind restiance of the trailer with a tractor on it is really high. Thats why they had the 55mph speed limit for several years. That said, drive how ever fast you feel is safe, time is also a vaulable assest.

Maybe you were driving a little faster with the lighter load because you felt safer, which hurt you mileage because of the greater wind resistance.